PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Appreciation Week... ideas??

supercalifragilous
05-03-2007, 07:54 PM
What kinds of things are you giving to your teachers/day care workers? I need ideas!

Or does anyone have a favorite idea website?

Pennylane
05-03-2007, 08:05 PM
We are bringing a certain item to our teachers each day next week. Day one is a flower, day two something sweet, day three a handmade card, day four fruit and day five a big hug!

Ann

supercalifragilous
05-03-2007, 08:11 PM
That sounds like a great idea - spreading the love! Is that from just your DC or is the PTA doing that?

MamaKath
05-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Our PTL serves us breakfast one day and lunch another. Parents also often send in food to the teachers kitchen and put a thank you note with it. I have had families bring in a meal to just heat up at home. Others have sent in plants. One gave a gift cert.

For my kids teachers I usually send in flowers or food. This year we have a lot of people doing WW at work so I will probably send in oranges or other fruit. I am also planning to put WW friendly snacks out in the teachers kitchen as a thank you. :-)

almostamom
05-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Have you made the WW 2 point cake? I think that's what it's called. A friend told me about it a few years ago.

One box chocolate cake mix WITHOUT pudding
1 can diet cola
1 egg

Mix ingredients and bake in a bundt cake sprayed with cooking spray (the one with flour works well) and bake according to directions.

If you want to make a white or lemon cake, use a can of diet Sprite or diet 7-Up.

Linda

almostamom
05-03-2007, 09:50 PM
My nephews' school does a gift a day theme for this week too. It sounds pretty similar to what's already been suggested.

Other ideas:

Small gift card (like $5) to Starbucks, Paradise Bakery, Barnes & Noble, Blockbuster

Food is always a big hit. Even just picking up a cookie from the bakery or bagel w/cream cheese is good. It could be breakfast, lunch, or a snack.

A flower - from the store or your garden

A note/letter to the teacher

Note pads, sticky notes

Lotion, soap, or whatever from Bath and Body Works (my students always called it my fufu smelly girly stuff)

Some parents did cutesy stuff like a basket full of Hershey's Hugs & Kisses and a note saying "Hugs and Kisses for all you do"

Every year our PTA turned their office/room into a "Teachers' Spa" for one day. During our prep period we would go to the PTA office and be pampered with those machines you melt wax in and put your hands in, foot massagers, and the PTA officers would massage our shoulders. They'd bring in those massage pads that you put on chairs. They dimmed the lights, lit candles, and played soothing music. Oh my gosh, it was the best day! Hmmm, I just may have to go visit my old school during Teacher Appreciation Week!! They also gave us a gift every year - one year it was a gift certificate for lunch, another it was a wind chime, etc.

Anything you do will be appreciated by the teachers. I always saved the notes and letters. In fact, I came across some of them in our file cabinet the other day. You never get tired of reading that someone appreciates you!

HTH,
Linda

MamaKath
05-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Yummy!!! I've been doing this quite often lately, lol. We just do it with the soda and cake mix, no egg. Fresca in peach or cherry is fantastic, also spice cake with cola. I had completely forgotten about doing something like this instead of buying all the prepacked stuff though. Perfect!!! Thank you!!! :-)

BeachBum
05-04-2007, 07:36 AM
My mom is a teacher and her #1 hands down favorite thing to get is a heartfelt note. Often teachers just don't get the pat on the back that they need. It always feels great to know you are appreciated and specific things that the child/mom enjoys.

Pennylane
05-04-2007, 11:54 AM
The parent's association organized it I think. It would also be a cute idea to give some flowers and then stick in a small ($10) giftcard in the bouqet.

I'm sure whatever you do will be appreciated!
Ann

kcimato
05-04-2007, 02:48 PM
I agree with the PP that a note is the best thing. I received one one year that really meant so much to me.

If you are wanting to get something how about bringing her /him lunch one day. Either something you make at home or one from their favorite restaurant. This is fun b/c we can't leave the building for lunch.

Fairy
05-04-2007, 08:56 PM
This week I"m just toast. Seriously, i couldn't do it. I always -- and I mean always -- do the very best goodie bags for v-day and halloween and bday, and the very best teacher gifts for the holidays and end of year and teacher appreciation. Seriously, mine really are the best. This year for teacher appreciation week, I've been at the end of my rope with more crap than I care to discuss. So, I really truly wimped out this time -- for me, anyway -- and I jsut got eight Starbucks cards with $5 a piece on them. It's the best I could do.

almostamom
05-04-2007, 09:53 PM
While I'm sure the teachers have appreciated your creativity and generous goodie bags and gifts in the past, I assure you, the fact that you remembered them for Teacher Appreciation Week is what means the most to them. A $5 Starbucks gift card is a very thoughful gift. It's not how much you spend or how much time it takes, it's truly the thought so don't beat yourself up! :)

Hugs,
Linda

MelissaTC
05-05-2007, 03:52 PM
My friend organized a breakfast for the teachers at the preschool. I am helping by bringing decorative paper goods and then doing the cleanup.

supercalifragilous
05-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Thank you so much for all your ideas! Another mom & I are teaming up to do a party for our teachers so it should be fun!