PDA

View Full Version : DH wants a Queen-sized Daybed. HELP!

niccig
05-03-2007, 11:54 PM
We were thinking of daybeds with pop up trundle for guests. We have a queen bed stored in the garage (previous house had an extra room). We put it in our front living room when we have guests for long period of time. DH wants to get a wooden frame made for the Queen bed so that it's a daybed and stays in the front room instead of a couch. I think it will look ridiculous to have this huge piece of furniture in the room, and that even with lots of cushions it will be too deep to sit comfortably. DH says I have no vision. HELP! Any suggestions on how to convince DH? Or, if you think it will look good, can you explain it to me?

MarisaSF
05-04-2007, 12:23 AM
Here are two things I've seen recently that come to mind:

Pottery Barn Pacific 3-piece Sectional.
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p6080/index.cfm?pkey=cfursctpfc
I saw another hugely deep sofa like this somewhere else, but I can't remember the company. It's like 3 huge chaise lounges.

Pottery Barn Teen Stuff-Your-Stuff platform bed -- looked more interesting/compelling in the catalog. Maybe you can click around for other views:
http://www.pbteen.com/products/p1032/index.cfm?pkey=cfurbed

ColorBlue
05-04-2007, 08:09 AM
I agree with you it will not look right. It will just like a bed in the living room! But that is pretty much the way I feel about most regular daybeds, why not get a couch with a pull out bed. Really they are so much better and more comfortable than they used to be.

Unfortunately I have no ideas on how to convince your DH. My husband doesn't usually have any opinion on that sort of thing although he would suggest something like that to save money.

Tracy

sarahsthreads
05-04-2007, 08:33 PM
No idea how to convince your DH, but I agree it's a BAD idea. We have our queen-sized bed smushed into our very small guest room at the moment - we're installing a new floor in our room - and it's up against the wall. Making that bed is the single biggest pain in the you-know-what ever. I think it counts as both cardio exercise and some strange form of yoga... And no amount of cushions could possibly make it shallow enough to sit on as a couch. Stick to your guns. Get a futon or a pull-out couch instead!

Sarah :)

miki
05-04-2007, 08:39 PM
I think it could look fine depending on the size of the room. When we were shopping for living room furniture, we went to a place that sold samples from various manufacturers in NC. There was one really oversized sofa that we liked the look of. I can't remember the maker now. It was an upholstered sofa but the seats were very, very deep but not as deep as a queen bed. There were two rows of back cushions and extra pillows. You could still sit on it like a normal sofa with the pillows or move the pillows around and lounge on it.

OSURPh
05-05-2007, 09:01 PM
My friend put a queen sized mattress/boxspring in the corner of her loft. It is directly on the ground--no bed frame at all. She covered the boxspring with a brown-colored sheet and the top is a dark sheet or coverlet--can't remember exactly. It has different pillows on the back and side. It looks FABULOUS! She uses it for overnight guests, but for everyday use, it just looks like an inviting place to curl up with a book. I think you should try it, but you might not necessarily have to buy a bed frame. The mattress could tuck into a corner or up against a wall long-ways. Please let me know if you have any questions. I could try to get pictures of my friend's loft.

Laurie

niccig
05-05-2007, 10:49 PM
We had to set the bed up today for MIL's visit, and once it was in the room, DH realised it was too big for that space. It would have to sit out in the open as the walls are taken up with windows, bookcases and piano. We hope to add a room to the house in a few years, and then it might be possible to have it set up as a daybed for a reading space. For now, it won't work. We're putting on hold plans for a daybed for guests as DS will move to a big boy bed within the year, and we're talking bunk beds or trundle bed, so that gives us some options until we can afford a guest room/office addition.

Nicci