PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Spring vs Lake George

JustMe
05-05-2007, 11:00 AM
I posted a while back that I will be visiting my sister in NYC the week of July 4th, and we would like to take a 3 day trip somewhere about 3 or so hours from NYC. Saratoga Springs and Lake George were both highly recommended. So, anyone been to both? Which would be more fun? I looked them up on-line, and didnt find anything too great. It will just be my sister, dd, and me. Dd is 4.

Thanks,
Robyn

SASM
05-05-2007, 12:47 PM
I haven't stayed in either area but lived in Albany for several years. Saratoga is a beautiful fun little town ~ very laid back and quaint. We used to go up there on Sundays to just walk around and have brunch. Lots of B&Bs and spas. Depending on when you go you might be there during racing season (I BELIEVE it is late July into August). However, off the top of my head, I cannot really think of anything that would be interesting in Saratoga for a 4yo, then again when we were there I had a 1yo. There is a cute little amusement park in Albany that your DD might like, however, it would be a 20-mminute drive or so. Lake George, however, is VERY commercial in a mom-n-pop sort of way. My aunt and uncle have been going there with their camper twice every summer for about 30 years. There is at least one water park, an amusement park, a lot of miniature golf, and lots of touristy things. It is very family oriented and VERY busy in the summer. Two totally different places. Have you considered Lake Placid? I THINK that is about 3 hours away from NYC. It is also a busy place but not as touristy as Lake George. I have never been to Lake Placid in the summer (my parents have been) but I have been to the Adirondacks many times. Obviously, you will not see the winter activities, but you can probably do some ice skating indoors (ha!) and see the Olympic venues. There is also a lot of hiking, swimming in the lakes, golf, plane rides and a scenic gondola ride at Whiteface. It is neat to try to "hike" up to the top of Whiteface b/c at the base it can be 80 degrees and at the top of the observation tower it can be 40 (you can drive up half way or take the elevator and then walk the rest). :) There are a TON of awesome places to visit within 3 hours of NYC. Have fun making the decision.

Doesn't really answer your question since I've never stayed in either place but I HTH. :)

ETA: Just checked www.lakeplacid.com and I was wayyyy off...sorry!! Lake Placid is 5 hours from NYC...bummer!!

Edit #2: Just throwing this out there. There is a GREAT little amusement park in the middle of PA called Knoebels ~ about 3 hours from NYC. It is a huge family-owned park with free admission (you can either pay for a day pass or per ride). They are known for buying retired rides from other parks and restoring them, so there is a very nostalgic feel to the park. It is in the middle of a forest so if you were to drive down the main road you'd barely notice the park. Very neat! We have taken Ian about 5 times and Bryn about 3. Every year there is more and more for him to do. Last year, at 3.5, Ian was wiped out at the end of the day and he didn't even touch all of the rides that he met the height requirement! There is a children's park and two train rides, as well as an adult park (Ian rode on a lot of these rides) and a water park. The only drawback to the park is the smoking. We are from NYS, where public smoking is pretty much banned, so it is always a little shocking going to Knoebels. That ebing said, we always go back. The website is www.knoebels.com. The park is in Elysburg and there really is not a lot in town other than the park, so you could probably do one or two days at the park and then take the scenic trip back to NYC, driving through the backroads and Amish areas.

Or you could go to the Lancaster area (west of Philadelphia) and check out the Amish Country. Lancaster is about 3 hrs from NYC as well and there are two amusement parks in that area, too ~ Hershey Park in Hershey, PA and Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster. Dutch Wonderland is supposedly a family-oriented park where every ride could be experienced by everyone in the family. I haven't been but heard great things about it. Lancaster County is beautiful ~ very quaint. Depending on when you go, if DD is into Thomas, the Strasburg Railroad Museum has Day Out with Thomas in June that she might enjoy. Sesmae Place in on the east side of Phillie on the way back home.

gatorruth
05-05-2007, 01:06 PM
I was one of those who replied a while ago-- just depends on what kind of experience you want. Lake George has much more to do. Saratoga is very quaint and laid back. We'll be at LG 4th of July week visiting my family. We can't wait!

HTH!
Ruth

psophia17
05-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Lake George is only about half an hour from Saratoga Springs - you could easily do both. I'd probably stay in Saratoga so I didn't have to sleep through LG's touristy-ness, but go to LG for a day.

Racing season in Saratoga doesn't start until the last week of July, so you're good on that front.

Lake Placid is about 2 hours from Saratoga, and really isn't very exciting.

scoop22
05-05-2007, 08:14 PM
i agree with the pp. it depends on what you want to do. with the kids i would think lake goege. it has been awhile since i was to saratoga. it would be a great place to spend the night.. have fun!
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

SummerBaby
05-06-2007, 04:02 PM
I live in the Albany area so I'm familiar with both areas. As someone said, Saratoga and Lake George are only about 30 minutes away so you can do both. Saratoga has a children's museum that I've never been to, but my friends' kids all really like it. http://www.childrensmuseumatsaratoga.org/ There's also really nice places to stay and eat (probably more adult oriented). I think a 4 year old would probably prefer Lake George- it has all the tacky touristy stuff kids can't get enough of. I know I loved it as a kid. :) They also do a really nice 4th of July fireworks display over the lake. If the Sagamore is in your budget, I'd stay there. It's really very nice.

Val
DD 2.5 years old
another summer baby coming in 2007!

MamaKath
05-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Lake George is a BIG lake! 32 miles long. If you are headed there *I* would not head to stay in Lake George Village. There is so much more up there from camping, to cottages, to quaint towns. I have been to S.S. but not stayed there so I can't give you much info beyond what the others have posted.

At the south end is the way touristy Lake George Village. Amusement Park, strip that stays open late with typical tourist shops, some historic stuff, put-put golf, boat rentals, boat tours. Fun but not overly unique.

The western shore of the lake has lots of neat little towns. Boltons Landing and Hague are ones worht looking into. Hague has a neat little resort called Trout House Village Resort. http://www.trouthouse.com/ If you like camping, there is Rogers Rock towards the north end of the lake, or tons of islands that the state of NY rents to campers. Rogers Rock- http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDetails.do?subTabIndex=0&agency=ny&parkCode=roge Islands- http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDetails.do?subTabIndex=0&agency=ny&parkCode=glen At the very northern tip is the town of Ticonderoga. Rich with history and laying between Lake George and Lake Champlain there are many opportunities for day trips (Vermont Teddy Bear Company is maybe an hour away, Burlington VT, antique shops, etc). http://www.hagueticonderoga.com/

We have gone many years to a place called Silver Bay which is really cool. It is north of Bolton and south of Hague and Ticonderoga. Kind of "Kellerman-ish" if you remember Dirty Dancing. It is about half way up the lake. Depending on when you would be in the area they have family weeks when there are special activities for kids, activities for adults (from art lessons, to speakers, to a fantastic craft shop), swimming, boating, tennis, hiking and I am sure tons more I have yet to experience. My husband is not as big a fan as he prefers airconditioning and swimming in pools (he has really bad allergies to all kinds of wierd things though and is typically not a "nature boy" at all ;-)). My family has gone for many years though and we enjoy it. :-) http://www.silverbay.org/

Happy vacation planning! It is a fantastically beautiful area to visit!!! :-)

JustMe
05-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Wow, thank you everyone for the great responses and ideas! I love the PA ideas, but we will probably save that for another year as my sister wants to see her friend in Albany, I have a friend from VT that may meet us, etc. Last year we went to VT and got to go to the Teddy Bear factory, ben and Jerry's, etc. It was great. This year we really don't want to go so far.

Hmmn, now to think about all of the other suggestions.

Robyn

jhrabosk
05-07-2007, 11:05 AM
If it interests you at all NYC Ballet is in Saratoga the 1st 3 weeks of July. I haven't been (worked for the company 5 years and never went!), but I've heard that the lawn is very kid-friendly. They usually do some kid-friendly programs too...

Here's the list of what they're performing:
http://www.spac.org/spac-ballet/spac-ballet.asp?varID=50