PDA

View Full Version : Portable DVD players- Recommend or what's junk?

AddiesMom
05-06-2007, 07:46 AM
I am looking to get a portable DVD player and need to know what you recommend or what to stay away from.

- For car and airplane use
- Plugs into car lighter, good battery life for airplane
- Two headphone jacks

TIA!

betsydenny
05-07-2007, 10:37 AM
We use one in the car and I have found that with fairly heavy use they last about a year or so. (I have two kids who aren't the most gentle but aren't "supposed" to touch ours)

Anyway, I generally get the next to lowest model which costs about $120ish. Can be less but that is avg.

If longer battery life is important I think it will cost more. With two kids in a station wagon, the 7 inch screen is fine- don't worry about 8 or 9 or more. I have sat back there with them and had no problem seeing the screen between the two front seats from any seat.

That is our experience so far.
Hope it helps!
Betsy

luvmypeanut
05-07-2007, 01:34 PM
We've been through many and use them on the plane. I take two with me because the kids will fight otherwise. My biggest requirement is battery life, because our flights are usually about 5-6 hours. I have spare batteries for longer trips. I also take with me AV cables which allow me to hook it up to the tv in the hotel, in case there isn't a dvd player provided.

Sometimes you can get good deals on bundles from Costco which include a carry case, car adapters and headphones (I bought one that included two).

I agree with the pp in that a player will probably last you a year or two. So don't go crazy with all the bells and whistles.