PDA

View Full Version : Birth announcement ettiquette

LaurelC
05-06-2007, 08:45 AM
In your opinion, how late is too late to send out birth announcements? DS was born April 10, and for one reason or another, we haven't yet gotten around to ordering them. If I order them now, it will take at least a week or so to get them out. Is that too late?

Also, when you receive a birth announcement, do you feel as if you are being hit up for a gift? I had someone say this to me the other day, and previous to that, I had never even thought of birth announcements this way. I guess I just thought they were to let people know you had a baby....interested in hearing your thoughts!

alexsmommy
05-06-2007, 08:55 AM
I think it is absolutely fine to send one out at this point. Anyone who has had a newborn understands that you are doing well to get some out at all. Personally I have never seen a birth announcment as a solicitation for a gift - not even a little bit.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03
and #2 in early summer '07

SnuggleBuggles
05-06-2007, 08:55 AM
I sent ours' out when ds was 3 months old. It took me that long to get organized (picture taken, announcements picked/ ordered...). I just received one the other day from a friends' baby that was born mid January. I know I was just happy to get their adorable birth announcement and it didn't matter one bit to me that it was so late. In my case and theirs' email announcements were sent out as soon as baby was born just as a means of communicating baby's arrival. Not sure why I wanted to mail out paper ones too but I did. :)

I do not feel like I am being hit up for a gift when I get one. Either I will send a gift b/c I want to or I won't. I let my relationship with the parents dictate my personal choice. Sometimes I just send a card congratulating them. Occasionally I just send an email. It all depends on the new parents. I think parents just want to show me their new little one and nothing more. :)

Beth

JoyNChrist
05-06-2007, 03:45 PM
I just sent mine out on Thursday. DS was born March 1st! So, no, I don't think you're too late. :-)

It took me that long to get the pics taken, design them (I did them myself), have them printed, and get everything addressed and stamped. Life with a newborn is crazy, isn't it?

klwa
05-06-2007, 06:38 PM
*chuckles* DH and I got one today for a baby who was born in DECEMBER! (It was sent to the Grandma to hand deliver to us at church.) So, uhm, I wouldn't even blink an eye about an April birth announcement in May! I think we sent DS's out when he was about 1 month.

And I've never considered a birth announcement a gift solicitation. If I'm going to send a gift, then I usually already have, and the announcement is just a way of seeing when EXACTLY baby got there and how big.

KBecks
05-06-2007, 07:42 PM
no, i dont see it as a hit up for a gift and i like to see photos.

MamaMolly
05-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Our DD was born in Sept. and we sent announcement and Christmas cards together in December. Both my mom and MIL thought it was fine, so we went ahead. ;-)

And no, I don't think it is a solicitation for a gift. Sorry if it was your best friend, but I think it is a tacky thing to say to a new mom. I think your friends and family would be delighted to have this momento of your new baby!

HTH, M

DrSally
05-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Ditto. I just got one from a cousin in another state, and I thought that it was nice of her to let me know and I enjoyed the picture. I did think I'd like to send them a gift, but didn't see the announcement as asking for one.

LaurelC
05-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks for your replies. I had never thought of birth announcements as solicitations for gifts, but someone mentioning this to me made me think twice (not my best friend - more an acquaintance.)

I am going to go ahead and send them.