PDA

View Full Version : HELP: 4 yo girl has red rash down there ALL the time

marit
05-06-2007, 11:29 AM
My girl has been having a red rash in her vagina on and off since she was 8 month old. Our doctor told us to apply "Lotrimin AF Antifungal Athlete's Foot Cream" on it, so we have been doing it every time this thing comes up again. It does help to take the redness away, very effectively, but 2-3 weeks later it comes back. This infection is itchy, painful and smells bad.

I am so tired of this. I also feel bad about applying that stuff so many times. I am definitely ready to try some alternative treatments.

If you experienced something similar or have any ideas, please share them!

Thank you,

ellies mom
05-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Is it a yeast infection? Our ped suggested the same OTC medicine that women use for yeast infections. I wonder if that would make a difference. If not, I'd make a call to your OB-Gyn. Something different needs to be done and if your doctor doesn't have any other ideas, maybe an OB who deals with yeast infections might.

psophia17
05-06-2007, 11:42 AM
It's a yeast rash, right?

Use plain yogurt with active cultures topically, and/or get acidophilus capusles, open them up, and sprinkle the powder on the rash. Mash some garlic and apply that topically as well. I've heard something about "gentian violet," but I'm not sure what to do with it - I think it's another topical treatment, but I'm not sure.

Let the area get as much air and sunlight as possible. It's difficult to manage this, but it helps - yeast thrives in moist and dark environments.

Wash all of her undies in hot, and put a cup of white vinegar in the rinsewater.

Riley was very rashy, and when we suspected yeast one of the nurses suggested using vinegar as a wash - white vinegar on a cottonball, then wipe the area down thoroughly and let air dry.

That's all I can think of right now - good luck! I had monster yeast issues way back when, and when OTC treatments didn't work, I tried almost all of the above - and haven't had a problem since (in 2 years).

Momof3Labs
05-06-2007, 11:43 AM
I'd suggest looking at www.kellymom.com and follow some of the treatments for thrush (do NOT NOT NOT use GV down there, though). Washing her underwear in vinegar, changing underwear 2x day, feeding her plain yogurt, giving her probiotics, etc. You can use the Lotrimin even after the redness is gone, but it would be better to address the source of the yeast in her system.

marit
05-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks.

Yes, it's yeast. I just read about the active ingredient in this cream, and it's the same active ingredient that is used in vaginal yeast infections, and same strength too (clotrimazole 1%)

marit
05-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks. What is GV?

lisams
05-06-2007, 12:08 PM
How frustrating!

Have you tried any probiotics with her? I know that when I have a yeast infection they really help.

Also, has she been using the same soap all this time. I wonder if she is sensitive to something in it (assuming she takes baths and not showers).

We put vinegar in the rinse cycle when I'm washing undies. I started doing this when I had a bad yeast infection once and just keep doing it as a preventative measure. Also, to really kill the yeast you can put the undies in the sun for a day. If you don't kill the yeast it will keep reoccuring.

I hope you're able to figure something out!

elephantmeg
05-06-2007, 12:11 PM
GV is genetian violet which is often reccomended for nipple/mouth thrush. I would follow some of the other remedies for thrush-those outlined by PP but also most definitely taking probiotics-the high quality refrigerated type and perhaps cutting sugars in the diet. Good luck!

alexsmommy
05-06-2007, 12:17 PM
GV = Gentian violet mentioned in a PP
No new advice - I'd try all of the above (and agree with Lori, I wouldn't do GV down there in a child that age) and have her sleep naked from the waist down and keep her naked from the waist down at home as much as possible. If she's really uncomfortable like this, you can put really loose shorts on her w/no panties or a skirt w/no panties at home - just wash these clothes in hot w/vinegar rinse as well. Also, keep up the treatments several weeks past when it seems to have cleared up to make sure all the super-resistant yeast are gone to. Good luck.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03
and #2 in early summer '07

janeybwild
05-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Ditto on pp ideas, plus for baths, avoid bubble bath and soap, instead add baking soda to the water. Change undies more than once/day and air dry after peeing. Now that the weather is nice, perhaps she can go commando under a dress around the house (but avoid sitting on furniture). Use bleach and hot water/hot dry for clothes that touch the area including her sheets and towels. Good luck, this sucks. Oh, and add acidopholus (sp?) to her diet also.

miki
05-06-2007, 02:01 PM
I have friend who altered her diet after finding she had all the symptoms of having too much yeast in her system. The big parts were to take a good quality probiotic (something that needs to be refrigerated) and to cut out all sugars and simple carbs. The second part would be hard to do with a kid unless your family already eats like that but if you can, it would help so that the yeast in her body doesn't have as much fuel to feed from.

JustMe
05-06-2007, 03:05 PM
I'd also recommend probiotics.

Robyn

klwa
05-06-2007, 06:42 PM
A friend had a similar issue with her DD and was told by the drs to let her DD play in the bath water before washing her with the soap. That even without doing a bubble bath the soap from washing could be enough to trigger a reaction. Also, and I'm betting you've already done this, but, are you making sure her panties are all cotton? I know I can tell a difference when I'm wearing non cotton panties and when I'm not.

Elilly
05-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Does she have cradle cap as well? If so, she will likely need systemic treatment such as diflucan. If it is in multiple places, then that could be why it returns so easily.
Probiotics and a reduced sugar/refined carb diet are a big help as well.

marit
05-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions!!!
I went to WF today and bought refrigerated probiotics for her, and started giving it to her as soon as I got home. I also intend to wash all her undies with vinegar.

I was thinking of replacing her soap, but I don't know what to use instead. I don't think I can go for just baking soda, psychologically - I need soap. So any recommendations on that? What about shampoo?

Regarding sugar - she doesn't have much as I am very aware myself. She only gets one sweet treat every day of the weekend, and non during the week.

I also understand now that I have to use the cream for a whole week without stopping. I've put it so many times already, that the minute it goes away, I stop, because I feel I am "over medicating" her too much as it is. But I see how it just makes the problem worse.

Keep the ideas coming...

psophia17
05-07-2007, 12:07 AM
I've seen a "Yeast Defense" soap on this hyenacart store before: http://hyenacart.com/FrostFishCoveSoaps. They don't appear to be in stock now, but you could email the owner and ask.

MommyAllison
05-07-2007, 12:15 AM
The mama behind Frost Fish Cove Soaps is great - I bet if you emailed her w/your situation, she'd help you out! GL!

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

Momof3Labs
05-07-2007, 07:03 AM
On that note, I just noticed that www.northernessence.com has a diaper cream that has GSE in it for yeasty diaper rashes - perhaps that would be a good cream to use when you are not using the Lotrimin. It is on the diaper care page.

marit
05-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Thank you. I am checking out both the soap and diaper cream, and probably will get both.

On a completely different note, I want to salute you for being a breast milk donor. I was thinking of doing it myself when I had my second baby, but at the end I was too lazy. Maybe next time :)

marit
05-07-2007, 10:18 AM
OK, what's GSE?

Fairy
05-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Wanna pipe in here to say that yes, you absolutely have to do the full course of treatment, not just till the redness goes away. It's a fungas, so you can't overmedicate this; fungas is really tenacious.

Also, if you find that this is still not going away after a few full courses of yeast infection treatment and other suggestions here, I'd suggest that maybe it's time to see an GYN for testing. I had my first when I was 13 for a killer yeast infection that to this day has never been equalled. I know that the concept of an exam down there pediatrically sounds horrible, and again, i dunno if theree's a more gentle, speculum-free way to do this, but if it persists after all the treatment, then if it were me, I'd be wanting cultures done and a real live concrete diagnosis.

Tondi G
05-07-2007, 12:50 PM
ditto on what everyone had said about the naked time, washing the underwear... you can also microwave her underwear too!

Other things... definetly get some probiotics in her. Acidolpolus and bifidus! cut the sugar (even limit juice), anything with yeast in it (bread, crackers, cookies etc.), cut things with vinegar (that would include, pickles, ketchup, mustard, mayo, most salad dressings)

Good Luck

ColorBlue
05-07-2007, 04:52 PM
If you do have her sleep naked from the waist down I would have her sleep on a towel or small blanket or whatever because you really should wash in very hot water every day whatever her little bum comes into contact with. So if she was nakie on the sheets then presumably you would want to wash the sheets every day! Also don't reuse towels on her without washing them also.

I'm sure somewhere there is a recommendation for how to get rid of thrush and it includes household tips etc. like the above.

Tracy

Momof3Labs
05-07-2007, 08:31 PM
grapefruit seed extract :) it's one of the things mentioned on that kellymom thrush site (were you able to find it?)

And thank you for your kind words! :)

SJ mom
05-07-2007, 10:17 PM
Not to be gross, but...Can you please describe the rash more? Are there a bucnch of little red dots along the periphery of a large patch of red?

Ask your doctor for/if Nystatin powder or lotion would be any more effective.

You can always go to a pediatric dermatologist. Esp if things do not clear up just to make sure it is not anything else. They can take a bit of scraping from the skin and look under the microscope to confirm that it is a yeast rash and not something else.

marit
05-07-2007, 11:32 PM
YES! I just boght 2 soap bars with that thing!

marit
05-07-2007, 11:39 PM
I didn't notice any red dots.
I think it's yeast just from the fact that when I do use the cream, it seems to clear up very quickly.

I am going to actually do the full course of the treatment now. I am also adding the probiotics, vinegar wash of undies and GSE soap. If it still comes back, I will definitely take it back to the doc.

infocrazy
05-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Just a different thought, I was having some problems a few years ago with a rash and itchiness and it actually turned out that I was having a reaction to the liquid Downy I was using. I ran out once and realized it went away almost instantly. I just use dryer sheets now and haven't had a problem since.

HTH and that whatever the cause you are able to clear it up.