PDA

View Full Version : Random Questions

Fairy
05-06-2007, 09:14 PM
So, I've had some random questions that have been stacking up that I thought I'd just lump together here. Bit of a hodge-podge, so thanks to all who reply to any of them.

1. Big Boy Bed Woes: DS is in big boy bed now, and it's gone VERY well, naps and all. However, the bed is HIGH. I mean way up there. We had no idea it would be that high. Tried without the box spring, but then the matress does not have any support and sags (stupid Pali crib conversion didn't include slats ALL THE WAY ACROSS, just two in center, and one at head and foot. Drrr!). We tried taking off slats and putting box on floor, but it's too wide for bed frame. Crying. So, he sleeps high and loves it, and two weeks without an issue. Then last night, thunk. Crap. Advice? Should I get a rail? What kind and where? I thought they were a bad idea. Help!

2. Neat! Diaper Pail Poo-Poo Heads: Posted in Butts a bit ago. Neat! has discontinued their pail and their bag refills. Anyone ever try to use another brand of refills in their Neat!, and did it work?

3. Sheers Bringing Me to Tears: My house has double doors with windows in them that need to have curtains to cover them. The ones here when we moved in are not mostly dead but actually completely dead and are hanging threadbare and ragged. Windows are 36'L x 24'W, and I can't find this size anywhere. Need loop in top and bottom for top/bottom rails. I have a sewing machine to crop long ones, but I also have furnace; doesn't mean I know how to work it. Where oh where can I find off-the-rack frakkin sheers?!

4. Couches ... Hard to Rhyme: In my 37 years, I've never been lucky in the couch department. We bought the mid-priced set that died after two years at Marshall Fields; brand called Bahaus. Now after 10 years suffering with them, we're finally ready to replace them. What stores and brands do you recommend, and are there any quality points / red flags that I should be looking for? From Wicks to Ethan Allen, lay it on me.

5. Diarrhea Days: I'm still having a hard time feeding DS when he's got an upset stomach. Hydration is no problem (water, water, water). But if it's more than a day, there's only so much rice, toast, bananas, and applesauce he'll eat. I throw in a yogurt smoothie once a day for the cultures. But what other foods work well when your DCs have diarrhea? Eggs? Plain waffles? I got really desperate this past week . . .

Thanks, Guys!

-- Fairy

elliput
05-06-2007, 09:35 PM
1. Bed Woes- Since I haven't seen the bed frame, I can only suggest going to Lowes/Home Depot/wherever and getting 1x4 slats cut to fit. Depending on the frame, though, this idea may not work. If you decide on a rail, get the type that hold snugly to the bed (double sided or such). We were given an older model rail that just slid between the mattress, and after Moira kept kicking it off everyday for nearly a week I just removed it from the room completely.

ETA- I just thought of another option for the bed. Measure to see if a basic slat base from IKEA will fit in the frame.

2. No clue, use Diaper Dekor.

3. Tell me a bit more about you sheer situation in an email or PM. I can help you out with this one.

4. Flexsteel. Not sure where to find it, but the quality is excellent. I wouldn't suggest a tapestry upholstery, though, if you have a dog and let them on the furniture. x(

5. Your poor DS! DD is a banana and a yogurt fiend so we rarely have diarrhea issues.

sadie427
05-06-2007, 09:46 PM
1. We just put a rail on the long side (a simple kind that tucks under the mattress, the other side is next to the wall), and a little step stool at the end so he could climb up and down. The first time he showed any interest in climbing over the rail (which would be the main hazard of a rail, other than a very young toddler or baby somehow getting wedged in it, but a young toddler or baby should be in a crib) we took the rail away, by that time he was old enough not to roll out. DH does still check on him before he goes to bed to make sure he's not too close to the edge.

2. sheers--I'd try IKEA and Target, both have big selections of curtains including sheers. The ones I got from IKEA were long w/ iron on hemming tape so you don't have to sew.

SnuggleBuggles
05-06-2007, 09:50 PM
>So, I've had some random questions that have been stacking up
>that I thought I'd just lump together here. Bit of a
>hodge-podge, so thanks to all who reply to any of them.
>
1. Big Boy Bed Woes:[/b] DS is in big boy bed now, and it's
>gone VERY well, naps and all. However, the bed is HIGH. I mean
>way up there. We had no idea it would be that high. Tried
>without the box spring, but then the matress does not have any
>support and sags (stupid Pali crib conversion didn't include
>slats ALL THE WAY ACROSS, just two in center, and one at head
>and foot. Drrr!). We tried taking off slats and putting box
>on floor, but it's too wide for bed frame. Crying. So, he
>sleeps high and loves it, and two weeks without an issue. Then
>last night, thunk. Crap. Advice? Should I get a rail? What
>kind and where? I thought they were a bad idea. Help!

I wouldn't do a bed rail. I would probably just pile up blankets and pillows on the floor. That's what we did. Then again, ds never dell out of bed.

>

>4. Couches ... Hard to Rhyme: In my 37 years, I've
>never been lucky in the couch department. We bought the
>mid-priced set that died after two years at Marshall Fields;
>brand called Bahaus. Now after 10 years suffering with them,
>we're finally ready to replace them. What stores and brands do
>you recommend, and are there any quality points / red flags
>that I should be looking for? From Wicks to Ethan Allen, lay
>it on me.
>

Only advice I have is to be leary of microfiber as every frickin' thing stains it. Drop a cracker on it an it will leave a grease print. Grr. And if you opt for a fabric warranty *read the fine print!* We bought it b/c we weren't sure if the cat would scratch it. Problem is that the fine print said that we had to only clean it with water (I think) AND we had to have it professionally cleaned every 3 months. Well, for our sectional they charged $100+ for one cleaning. I said forget it after that cleaning. Reaffirms my negative thoughts on extra and extended warranties.

We have had good luck with our Shermag brand things that we have found at places like Macy's.

Beth

MamaKath
05-06-2007, 10:08 PM
1. Big Boy Bed Woes: Go to a home place and make some slats to help support the mattress. We have done this more than once. I often wonder who designs bed to be so high with no support!
>
2. Neat! Diaper Pail Poo-Poo Heads: no suggestions
>
3. Sheers Bringing Me to Tears:jcpenney's often has a good selection. http://www.countrycurtains.com/ Country Curtains is a fantastic company with a wide variety of styles/ sizes/ fabrics/ etc. If I can't find curtains at penney's they are the only place I go next to buy. beyond that I whip out the machine, read the manual, and run some straight seams to rig up something. ;-)
>
4. Couches ... Hard to Rhyme: The only furniture that has held up to my families abuse is This End Up. My dh hates the style, but now realizes any of our pieces will outlive us. ;-)
>
5. Diarrhea Days: we do the brat diet like you. I do occasionally add a poached egg (cut the toast in strips so he can dip). Crackers (really plain ones). Sometimes the will take some avacado. Beyond that I really watch as my kids diarrhea gets worse (in my ds even the bananas make it worse).
>
HTH~ :-)

KrisM
05-06-2007, 10:28 PM
1. Ditch the bed and just put the box springs and mattress on the floor?

Can't help with anything else.

lizajane
05-06-2007, 10:48 PM
1. Big Boy Bed Woes:

rails. i think we use the safety first. we are very happy to have a rail AND a kid on the bed, instead of no rail and a kid on the floor.

and if you can keep my kid IN THE BED until he goes to sleep, i will buy the rail for you.
>
Neat! Diaper Pail Poo-Poo Heads

sorry, we have a champ. and now it smells.

3. Sheers Bringing Me to Tears:

i would help you, but i am way too busy. BUT i do have a really great seamstress who could probably squeeze you in (after she finishes the work i give her, hee hee!) or if you wait until june, i can do the work for you. or email me for detailed instructions on how to do it yourself. but i may not reply until june. as per my above remark about being busy.

4. Couches ... Hard to Rhyme:

i am pretty happy with the one i got at room's to go a million years ago. it is just dirty now (because i have two kids and two dogs, not because the couch is bad.)

5. Diarrhea Days:

white bread. even though i am morally opposed, try white bread. my ped said give 'em a big ol' hamburger bun to chew on. (she knows we are a fiber rich grocery family.) and plain pasta. (no acidic sauce.) maybe pasta in fun shapes? rice cakes?

Fairy
05-06-2007, 11:04 PM
You have me laughing so hard I'm crying! On the floor, here!

"Now it smells."

Oy vey!

bostonsmama
05-06-2007, 11:22 PM
My ILs have 3 Flexsteel pieces that are over 10 years old. The company replaced the reclining mechanism on both of the wing chairs for free (minus shipping), and have reupholstered a section of their leather couch that faded (in the desert sun). Our next piece will be Flexsteel.

We did, however, buy LazyBoy when we bought our couch and arm chair. We are very happy with the quality of the pieces, durability of the fabric, stain resistance, and frame quality. We bought the stain protection program and they have already come out to deep clean stains we couldn't remove. I don't know if we'd buy it again, but it helps when you have a dog, an active lifestyle, and white furniture!! Our next fabric will be a dyed leather couch and chair.

I know quite a bit about furniture now, and I would never personally buy Ethan Allen furniture. They rely too heavily on veneers and non-wood substrates, which for their price point cheapens the quality and value. Even worse would be Pottery Barn, where the finish on their Megan chairs and dining room table flaked off with a fingernail, and the 'material' under the veneer was compressed sawdust.

fate
05-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Big boy bed: We have a piece up plywood that fits the exact size of the bed frame and the mattress sits on that, no boxspring. Supportive and comfy enough yet he is lower to the ground. Maybe you could take out all slats and put in plywood? Not sure if your frame is configured for that? It works on our 2 twin beds.

Fairy
05-07-2007, 12:58 AM
Very interesting about the Ethan Allen & Pottery Barn, both of which I like in design. I had a feelign the PB stuff was prettier than it was quality, and I'm surprised about EA, considering how pricey it is. But I do now realize that high price is not, necessarily, an indicator of quality (to wit: my current couches). But I just have no idea how to know what's going to last. There are some CR reports out there on furniture, but I haven't come across anything that helpful. So, that's two Flexsteel votes; I'll be looking into that. As someone who has alot of furniture knowledge, do you have any thoughts on Room & Board or any specific brands of couches?

kijip
05-07-2007, 02:06 AM
Take one of the slats you do have to your friendly neighborhood hardware/lumber store. They can cut additional slats to match. This is really cheap and we had to do it for Toby's twin bed because it came with a ridiculously low number of slats. Since it is only a matter of time before any kid figures out that a bed is just a trampoline disguised with a blanket, extra slats are important!

Sorry, I am not much luck on the other things...we used cloth diapers, hanging a double rod for our curtains so as to have a sheer panel underneath is a trick I am not able to pull off, I have awful luck with furniture too and we tend to go on a fluid only kick for tummy issues because nothing else will stay done.

Oh and, couches, turning us all into big old grouches. :P

Good luck!

shilo
05-07-2007, 02:39 AM
hi larissa,

ok, educate me! so if i like the "look" of some of the pottery barn stuff (crate and barrel too), what are brands that have a similar more contemporary/casual look and feel but have better quality for the price point? care to point me to any furniture websites/forums you've found and liked with reliable info?

TIA, and i hope your alergies cleared up after your vacation and you're feeling better :), you sounded miserable at the time.
lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

ellies mom
05-07-2007, 03:23 AM
Actually Ethan Allen furniture is very well made. My uncle is a production manager at one of the plants and I've taken a couple of tours. Everything they were making at his plant is solid wood. They use enough solid wood that they have their own lumber mill on site. The wood used in their painted furniture is the same quality as their finished furniture.

barbarhow
05-07-2007, 06:01 AM
Try a swimming noodle cut to the length of the bed. Put it under the fitted sheet. Woila-it acts as an instant barrier-almost a reminder to them that there is an edge. It worked like a charm with Jack. We also put the pillows around on the floor. We still found him a couple of times sleeping on the floor. :-)
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

o_mom
05-07-2007, 07:07 AM
Not sure on the others, but for #5, BRAT, like withholding fluids for vomiting kids has never been proven to be effective. IMO, it just gives you the illusion that you are doing something in a situation where you can't do anything but wait it out. Avoid anything that would normally cure constipation such as prunes, but other than that, don't worry too much about it.

From the AAP:

"Most children should continue to eat a normal diet including formula or milk while they have mild diarrhea."

http://www.aap.org/pubed/ZZZAHYUYQ7C.htm?&sub_cat=107

From the CDC:

"Older children receiving semisolid or solid foods should continue to receive their usual diet during diarrhea. Recommended foods include starches, cereals, yogurt, fruits, and vegetables. Foods high in simple sugars and fats should be avoided. "

http://www.cdc.gov/MMWR/preview/mmwrhtml/00018677.htm

Fairy
05-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Ooh! Good one on the couch rhyme! Witty! As for the slats, yours and the others in that vein are a very good idea. I think DH will like this alternative. Will see what we can get accomplished this weekend. In the meantime, the old crib matress is ont he floor next to his bed. It's a full bed (crib converted to bed), so he has alot more room to work with, but still, he did fall out just that one time 2 nights ago. And the trampoline thing? So true . . .

Fairy
05-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Swimming noodle. Not a bad idea at all . . .

Fairy
05-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks for this. See, the BRAT diet works pretty well for us; it's just that he gets bored of the same food meal after meal after meal. It's been a real struggle to find something to keep him interested. When I was sick as a child, my mom would make me a softboiled egg, but I've never seen that as an ok food during diarrhea, so I haven't tried it -- figured it was one of those "we dind't know better back then" things. But I saw the poached egg idea and will try that.

table4three
05-07-2007, 11:16 AM
4. Couches...

We just replaced our old Bay furniture with a family room set from Walter E Smithe. We couldn't be happier. We got leather (wonderful for having toddlers around!) and the construction is wonderful. They are comfy. Plus, you can totally customize it - material, softness of cushion, arms, legs and most importantly, we chose a deeper seat since DH and I are tall. We are loving it! Plus, the service at Smithe is amazing. They keep you updated weekly of the status of your order. Delivery is free and ours came in two trips - one on the Sunday before Thanksgiving, one on Sunday Christmas Eve (our choice - just in time for visitors the next day)! Wow!

http://b3.lilypie.com/n20Cm5/.png[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev230pp___.png[/img][/url]

Fairy
05-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Thank you! Re: leather. Do you have cats? We just declawed one of our cats, but the other one will not be declawed. He does scratch the furniture a little bit. Not much, but a enuf to worry me. Thoughts on that with leather?

LBMommy
05-07-2007, 11:50 AM
I would also love to hear if anyone has opinions on Room & Board couches as well... We have a R&B dining room and baby's room, and we are about to pull the trigger on some living room pieces from there, too. I love all the stuff we have from them, very well constructed wood pieces, but I don't have any experience with their upholstered things.

Jen

trentsmom
05-07-2007, 12:19 PM
I was going to use a swimming noodle but decided to see what I could use from around the house. I took 4 rolls of paper towels, taped them together end-to-end, wrapped them in a blanket, and stuck it under the fitted sheet. Nice and cheap, and I can re-use everything.

cstack
05-07-2007, 12:48 PM
>1. Big Boy Bed Woes: I always just used the plywood - I just set it on top of the slats. I DO so like the pool noodle idea

>2. Neat! Diaper Pail Poo-Poo Heads: Sorry, Diaper Genie Here

>3. Sheers Bringing Me to Tears: I can't imagine why you're having the problem here. 36" long is a standard size for curtains, so I would think there would be a "curtain" that was sheer enough to work. Try the kitchen section. THe hem at the bottom is usually open on the sides, so you could easily use that for your bottom rod pocket. If it's not open, simply clip it on the sides to make the rod go through (use fray check if the edge where you clip is not finished).

>5. Diarrhea Days: I use the BRAT only if the diarrhea is really serious. Mostly, I just ffed them normally (I generally eat normally when I'm going through it, why shouldn't they?).

table4three
05-07-2007, 12:55 PM
>Thank you! Re: leather. Do you have cats? We just declawed
>one of our cats, but the other one will not be declawed. He
>does scratch the furniture a little bit. Not much, but a enuf
>to worry me. Thoughts on that with leather?

We don't have cats (we are a family of pet allergies!) ;) so I can't really share any experience with that. Maybe someone else with leather and cats can give some input?

http://b3.lilypie.com/n20Cm5/.png[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev230pp___.png[/img][/url]

Corie
05-07-2007, 01:22 PM
I absolutely LOVE all of our Ethan Allen furniture!

My brother still has my mom & dad's first sofa, chair, and endtable which
is Ethan Allen. The furniture is almost 40 years old.

Another vote for Ethan Allen!!

anamika
05-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Big boy bed - Another option if you have an IKEA near you. They sell slatted bed bases in twin size also and they seem reasoably priced. It may work out cheaper and save hassle.

Here's the link.
http://tinyurl.com/rwc7y

HTH,

jenmcadams
05-07-2007, 01:29 PM
I have a friend who swears by Room and Board couches and she's pretty picky about furniture. We have a flexsteel sofa and 2 recliners which we bought after much research (all leather). They're only 2 1/2 years old, but dso far so good

bisous
05-07-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm surprised that noone has recommended the use of probiotics for treatment of diarrhea. DS had a particularly terrible case of diarrhea after an aggressive round of abx. He can't have yogurt because he is lactose intolerant and it seems like soon after I started using the probiotics the diarrhea stopped. If I am mistaken in the way that I am using them, please someone let me know. It just seemed like they really helped. Once the diarrhea is gone your DS can eat whatever he wants.

HTH

Jen

purpleeyes
05-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Love the topics, made me smile!

Big Boy Bed Woes: (lucky you-my big boy bed woes involve NO naps!) But anyway, we do have a bed rail, a soft mesh one from Saftey First. Got it as a hand me down from a friend, so I don't know cost or anything, but is just slips under the matress. That is a problem, if your DS could kick it out, it is not that secure. I also put pillows on the floor around the bed just in case.

Couch: we had a great experience with Belfort for our "family room" couch. GREAT price, delivered quickly, and it is holding up well. We got the fabric treated (Yucky chemicals, i know!!) but that is helping. For our more 'formal' living room we went to Danker and I *LOVED* it. It is my favorite furniture set I have ever bought. They have a huge selection of fabrics, mix and match, pillow options, etc. Great!!

Diarrhea: I would try the plain waffles, bread, etc. How about plain pasta? I think we did that during our last flu bug.

HTH!!

Beth

Fairy
05-07-2007, 02:15 PM
The problem with the Sheers is that I can't find them in that length with a loop at the bottom that are off the rack at, say, Bed, Bath, and Beyond or a place like that. I hadn't thought of Penney's, so I may try that. They don't have to actually be sheer, they're just not really curtains, like the hanging kind. I agree, I thought 36 was standard, too, but honestly, I'm befuddled.

bostonsmama
05-07-2007, 05:04 PM
I guess that depends on what you want. Couches, bedroom suites and dining room sets are completely different ball games.

Broyhill still makes a great couch. LazyBoy (and Flexsteel) make great recliners. Schnadig is a super-fine furniture company that creates works of art in both the upholstered and woodcraft fields. If you're looking for that Pottery Barn look, LazyBoy has wonderful designer pieces now at great quality. The Adonis sofa we have was featured as the top pic for sofas the year we bought it by Metropolitan Home magazine. And if you're after something trendy and ephemeral, any number of home stores (Haverty's, Value City Furniture-American Signature line) will have similar PB styles at much cheaper prices that you can chuck in 4-6 years when you get tired of it anyways, but at half the cost or less. (I have no idea about the quality of Crate & Barrel...I've only inspected PB stuff in person--actually on the day I went to order their dining room table & Megan chairs).

To other Ps, it's not the EA doesn't use solid wood for about 90% of their products, it's just that it's misleading b/c they'll slap a 1/32nd of an inch veneer of ebony or mahogany on something with a poplar or maple (solid--which usually means glued strips of solid wood--for strength's sake) substrate. For the same price they charge (you're paying for the designer name, not the components), you could get a similarly crafted piece either hundreds cheaper or of better quality, i.e., solid ebony/mahogany/etc. Now, many furniture gurus will argue which is actually stronger and more durable. Indeed, the gluing and heating process involved in making plywood actually lends considerable strength and anti-warpage (I made up that word) to a piece. But when it comes to hierloom quality, you can't exactly sand down plywood or veneer...and when you want to refinish a table that has faux inlay (done in veneer), you could lose the entire design unless incredible skill is used to preserve it. Plus, companies slapping veneer over any "solid" substrate have little incentive to select high grade cuts of wood...after all, no one will ever "see" any flaws. I like to know that incredible talent went into selecting a plank of wood that was beautiful through and through...enough to accept a stain that will look as breath-taking as the furniture our own grandmothers passed on to us. Side bar: For dressers, my father always taught me not to look at the front, but inside, under and behind. What is the back of the dresser made of: cardboard? pressboard? or plywood? What are the drawer sides and bottoms made of? Are the joints biscuited? dovetailed? glued? stapled? Are the glides wood to wood, metal to wood, plastic to metal, or metal to metal? I could also talk for hours about leather couches if anyone has any odd interest about that: piecing, grade of leather, dying vs. painting leather, etc.

Anyways, for bedrooms & dining rooms, I love Kincaid. We bought our dining room and bedroom suites through them. No veneers. Handcrafted in NC. Each piece custom made after you order it. Both modern and traditional pieces in solid cherry, maple, oak & other hardwoods. Sumter is also a FINE component quality furniture craftsman; same as above. Stickley is a superior furniture manufacturing company. My family met Mr. Stickley back in the 70s and bought some of his first pieces...they are worth a small fortune now. You can literally open any drawer and stand in it they are so strong, and not a bit of veneer. They do both traditional, modern and mission style pieces. We looked at one of the most expensive furniture stores in our region, and a $10,000 table--Lexington? Henredon? (just the table) was gorgeous w/ a burled wood finish, but it was all veneer on the top and made in china. Sad, really.

Ok, stepping off open platform. No judgment to anyone who buys or likes different...I have a Target pressboard bookcase or two. It fills the need until I can a) decide what I want for good, and b) afford what I want when I find it.

cstack
05-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Is there not a hem in the bottom? Or is it too narrow to slip the rod through? All of my curtains have a wide hem at the bottom and I know I've gotten "creative" before and "looped" the curtain back up and run the rod through the hem to make something of a swag. The hem side was a bit wider, but it worked fine.

mommy111
05-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Another chime-in for Ethan Allen. Love, love, love their furniture. Never could afford it, but I got an old piece from a friend that moved, and despite 2 dis-assemblies, reassemblies and moves over 5 years with me (and many more before that with friend over 10 years), it still looks gorgeous and is a timeless piece. Great quality.
PBK, now, looks better than its made and is pricier than the looks and the make.

mommy111
05-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Larissa, had to laugh when I read your last 2 lines, I too have my staples bookshelves and target chairs. In fact, these are the only pieces of furniture in my house that I have bought (everything else was a freebie from friends) and none of those cost more than $50 :) But they lie amongst fantastic design pieces from EA and some hand-crafted furniture (all hand-me-downs, like I said) and so they look OK. Last week, I had someone ask me where I got my 'elegant' staples bookshelf from (that was right before it collapsed under the weight of our books :) )
BTW, hope your little one is growing well!

Fairy
05-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Good god be careful what you ask for. Thank you for this comprehensive information. I'm gonna re-read it a few or six times. Thank you!

ShanaMama
05-07-2007, 11:45 PM
1. We're not quite up to the bed yet, but I'm not sure why a rail would be a problem? We used to use them & I still see people using them. I'm sure you could get one at BRU or Burlington. The kind I recall had an arm that slid under the mattress & a mesh bar that the kid could roll against. Not sure if there are any safety issues I'm unaware of. That's why I hang around here- to become educated. ;)

2. Don't know much about Neat. We used Diaper Genie. Once she hit size 3 or 4 it became such a pain to squish that gross diaper thru the opening. Then you'd have to empty it out every two days. Now she has about 1-2 dirty diapers a day, which go straight into a shopping bag & land outside the front door (I know, not the nicest welcome for guests!). Wet diapers just get dumped in my kitchen garbage, which gets changed about once a day. Doesn't bother me.

3. & 4. I'm still renting my little apartment here, so no expert on home decor.

5. IIRC they are not at all concerned about food when DC is sick. As long as he's not dehydrating he doesn't have to eat much of anything. We do ices (Pedialite makes some) & iced tea. Hard as it is for you to imagine, he'll probably be find with not much food for a couple of days. Maybe try some plain bread or bananas (good for the diarrhea, too). He'll make up for it when he starts feeling better.

I haven't had time to read thru the responses, but I get a kick out of your posts. Random questions indeed! Hope I wasn't reduntant, HTH.

shilo
05-08-2007, 03:13 AM
heh, me too :). i'll come pick your brain about leather couches when we're closer to deciding if that's the direction we're going in for our future 'great' room. don't worry, it'll be a while!

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

KBecks
05-08-2007, 07:10 AM
For couches, I'd recommend your mid-level and higher local furniture stores, plus places like Thomasville, Crate + Barrel. I think the most important thing is that the couch feels good to sit on. So you'll need to butt-test them. Once you look for a while you will notice quality differences. Get a boring solid color or small texture. I bought a sofa in a lovely floral pattern that I like but it's just not versatile for decorating changes and updates.

Yes on Flexsteel also. I couldn't remember their name then saw it in the first reply.

Drag0nflygirl
05-09-2007, 01:44 PM
1) I second the pool noodle. We got the "bed bug bumper" and I love it, but the noodle would do the same thing and cost less.

2) Diaper Champ - they've fixed the things I don't like about mine and you're not obligated to buy special bags.

3) Would it be easier if you ditched the bottom rail?

4) I am ashamed to admit Bahaus is a La-Z-Boy company - and they are crap. I sincerely apologize on behalf of my employers. Larissa is right on with her recommendations. I must once again sadly hang my head however - Kincaid (another La-Z-Boy company)is no longer made in the U.S. - but the quality still far surpasses just about anything out there. Here's a link to a small novel I wrote about furniture about a month ago.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=408168&mode=full
There is another one somewhere about how to buy leather.

5) Can't help ya there!

Nancy

Drag0nflygirl
05-09-2007, 01:44 PM
1) I second the pool noodle. We got the "bed bug bumper" and I love it, but the noodle would do the same thing and cost less.

2) Diaper Champ - they've fixed the things I don't like about mine and you're not obligated to buy special bags.

3) Would it be easier if you ditched the bottom rail?

4) I am ashamed to admit Bahaus is a La-Z-Boy company - and they are crap. I sincerely apologize on behalf of my employers. Larissa is right on with her recommendations. I must once again sadly hang my head however - Kincaid (another La-Z-Boy company)is no longer made in the U.S. - but the quality still far surpasses just about anything out there. Here's a link to a small novel I wrote about furniture about a month ago.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=408168&mode=full
There is another one somewhere about how to buy leather.

5) Can't help ya there!

Nancy