PDA

View Full Version : Caring for granite counter tops?

MegND95
05-07-2007, 07:12 AM
We recently moved into a house with granite counters. This is my first experience with solid surface counters, and I am looking for tips on how to care for them. Any cleaners that are unsafe? Which do you recommend for daily use? Any longer term maintenance issues?

Thanks!

kss611
05-07-2007, 09:48 AM
I have used a couple of different granite cleaners and have just started using the Method "The Daily Granite" based on a friend's recommendation and I love it. Honestly, it looks like my counters have been polished after I use the cleaner. I highly recommend it. I had been using Windex before I started using granite cleaners and my counters always looked streaky and then heard that you should not use Windex on granite.

JMS
05-07-2007, 10:34 AM
I also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Daily Granite. Don't use anything with amonia.

luvmypeanut
05-07-2007, 11:49 AM
I use the Method Granite Cleaner sometimes but mainly just a damp rag. My contractor told me to seal it every six months for the first 2 years. You can find these products at a hardware store. After that, when you start to see water absorbing into the granite rather than beading, then it's time to seal again.

I think there was a thread a while ago about this.

almostamom
05-07-2007, 04:51 PM
This thread isn't specifically about how to clean them, but a few people did mention what they use. HTH.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=298807&mesg_id=298807&listing_type=search#298829

Linda