PDA

View Full Version : Birthday party- lunch or no lunch (older kids)

SnuggleBuggles
05-07-2007, 07:40 AM
For older, non napping kids, do you have a preference on whether the party coincides with a meal or not? Usually I do an 11-1ish party and do lunch. This year I am thinking of a 2-4ish party with just healthy snacks (fruit, veggies...) and cake.

Does it make it easier for you, as a parent, if I offer lunch?

I am always clear on my invitations as to what sort of food to expect.

Just curious if there was a strong sentiment out there on this topic. :)

To be clear- I am deciding between a party that overlaps lunch time and includes lunch (like 11-1) OR a midafternoon party (2-4) that wouldn't need lunch, imo. That's probably more what the vote boils down to.

Beth

egoldber
05-07-2007, 07:43 AM
I personally don't care as long as I know ahead of time. BUT nothing irritates me more than to get invited to a party from, say, 11-1, when there is lunch for the kids but NOT the adults.

s7714
05-07-2007, 03:40 PM
I voted for no preference, but the more I thought about it, I think I'd prefer the later party with snacks!

My older DD never really eats lunch when she's at a party, because she's too busy playing. Which usually means by the time she gets home she's tired and cranky because of the excitment and because she hardly ate anything. It's easier to feed her lunch at home and then not worry about whether she'll eat at the party.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

wendmatt
05-07-2007, 03:48 PM
To tell you the truth if you are doing cake (and ice cream?) I don't think you need to do a snack either. If it's 2-4, the cake works for a snack, I know it's not a healthy snack but it's a party and I think that's fine. If you give too much to eat and it's closer to 4 then they won't eat dinner. We've been to parties at both times and I think I agree with PP, there's too much excitement for much lunch to be eaten. So my vote is 2-4, no snacks, just drinks and cake.

SnuggleBuggles
05-07-2007, 04:08 PM
I figure any snacks will mostly get eaten by the parents. :) Ds at the last party we went to though was really enjoying the fruit and veggie tray (the only kid at the party).

Thanks for the feedback. I feel good about my choice and I'll save time and money by not doing lunch. Ah, both good things. :)

Beth

JustMe
05-07-2007, 09:40 PM
I didn't vote and here is my complicated answer. As the parent of a child going, I would love a lunch as along as there was a vegetarian option. I would also be more than fine with no lunch as long as it wasnt lunch time. What I don't like is lunch with no vegetarian option (and I am sort of including thinking about any dietary restrictions any of your little invitees might have) or a lunch time party with no lunch.

Now, on the flip side, I now have dd's parties from 2-4 with lots of healthy snacks (cheese, crackers, fruit, veggies, etc) and cake...no lunch. That's what workds for me as the person throwing the party and I think most people are good with that. So, basically I think either of your options are very considerate and you should do what works for you!

Robyn

SnuggleBuggles
05-07-2007, 10:37 PM
As a non red meat eater who has suffered through many a BBQ eating only hamburger buns andsome sides I always offer food that my guests can eat. :) Luckily I throw very small parties for ds and know all the parents and kids well so I can easily prepare for dietary needs.

And, I have been known to bring a box of veggie burgers with me to cook outs. :)

Thanks for the reminder. I'll write that down for the days when ds invites hos whole class to a party or something. :)

Beth

JustMe
05-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Yes, I know what you mean about knowing everyone who is invited. People always remind me to watch the cheese I surve as so many have allergies. Like you, I know all the ins and outs about what the people coming will and won't eat.

Robyn

almostamom
05-08-2007, 11:07 AM
OMG, people do this???? If you invite people over during the lunch hour, you feed them lunch!

Linda