PDA

View Full Version : Breast reduction surgery?

sidmand
05-07-2007, 08:50 AM
I know there are people here who have had it before. I contemplated it before but chickened out (after waiting an hour in the waiting room, even before the consultation). My DH says I said there were people worse off and so I shouldn't go through with it. I don't remember that, but I guess that's not out of the realm of possibility. My breasts aren't HUGE, but they're big and droopy and my back and shoulders hurt all the time (which I didn't really associate with my chest, but it's probably the cause).

I need to buy bigger tops than bottoms and nothing ever fits right. I'm thinking if it makes me feel better about myself, it's worth it, right? But my two main questions are:

How do I find a good plastic surgeon? I did some Internet searches last night and came up with quite a few board-certified doctors in my area (Boston area, I figured there would be quite a few). But I don't want someone that is so important that I get shuffled aside, but I do want to find someone good.

Also, I know breast reduction doesn't preclude breast feeding, but if I'm even thinking about TTC in the next year or so, I'm thinking I should wait until afterwards (due to any changes) to even think about the surgery? Of course, I'm the kind of person that once I think of something, I want it to happen NOW, but if it doesn't make any sense...I've waited this long, right?

TIA!

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

JustMe
05-07-2007, 09:07 AM
I have not btdt, but just wanted to say that I am considering this myself so I am very interested in the responses. I would probably be in the category of those who are worse off. In addition to Debbie's questions, I am interested in what recovery is like. I hope you don't mind my putting this in here, Debbie.

Thanks,
Robyn

lilycat88
05-07-2007, 09:30 AM
I asked my mom's surgeon (he did her reconstruction after mastectomy) about it and he said to wait until after I was sure I was finished having children. His comment about breastfeeding was "it's not impossible but it can make things much more difficult.) I also want a reduction. I'm in constant back pain, nothing fits, and I'm developing a curvature in my upper back.

jhrabosk
05-07-2007, 10:53 AM
OK...I've btdt...hope I can provide some useful info...

I had my surgery at 21. Like you, they weren't HUGE, but were droopy/gave me back pain/hard to find shirts that fit. Bottom line, really affected my self-image.

At the time, I didn't really consider the potential impact on breastfeeding. I was aware of them, but decided it was something I couldn't worry about then. I don't regret that choice, but I was very sad when my DD was born and I couldn't make it work.

That said, this was over 10 years ago...my understanding is that the procedure has improved and that result is less likely. On the other hand, only you can decide whether or not you're willing to take that risk. BFAR IS possible. I hope to make another go of it when we decide to TTC #2, armed now with more information.

The other thing to consider about now vs. later is the changes to your body. You know how pregnancy affects and changes your body. Will you feel disappointed if your post-partum self doesn't look like it did right after surgery?

For those two reasons, if I were in your place, I would wait a little while longer, until I was done having babies.

My other little bit of advice...get them just the tiniest bit smaller than you think you want them. I was afraid to go too small and have never gotten into a cup smaller than a D...and that was immediately post surgery. I've been in a DD for several years now. I love them and they don't feel big to me, but it's something to consider.

As far as finding a surgeon...I'd ask people you trust. Your OB/GYN? Primary care doc? Someone who's had another kind of plastic surgery?

Someone asked about recovery...mine wasn't bad. Mind you, I was 21. :)

I hope that helps! Please feel free to email or PM me if you'd like to ask any other questions!

trumansmom
05-07-2007, 11:51 AM
While I'm still waiting a year or so for a bit more weight loss, I will be having one done in the not too distant future. Hopefully a a tummy tuck, too!

Anyway, I talked to my ob/gyn about it. I figured she had seen and felt enough breasts to have a good idea of who did a good job. :) I'll probably also ask my PCP and a few friends so I can make an informed decision from a pool of docs.

Good luck!!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

sidmand
05-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks everyone. And Robyn, I'm glad you asked about recovery, because I was actually wondering about that myself. Particularly with a toddler (and perhaps baby) who like to be picked up and who like to thump on Mommy's chest!

I've only seen my PCP twice, but I was planning to go get checked out before TTC and figured I would ask her then.

The more I think about it, it would make me feel better about myself. My chest is always the first place I gain weight and the last place I lose it, so it's just gotten worse over the years. Good advice too about going a tiny bit smaller. I was thinking a D-cup would be awesome and was afraid to go much smaller, but that is good advice.

I figured it made the most sense to wait, but wasn't sure if trying to do it now and recover before there were (possibly) two kiddos made more sense. But I had enough trouble with BF before, I certainly don't want to add to that and should wait until any and all changes through a possible pregnancy.

Thanks again.

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

jamierush
05-07-2007, 12:47 PM
I had it done when I was 21 also, that was over 10 years ago, howvere even with a BFAR and LLC combo of persoanl local support I was unable to produce any substainial BM the first time. Now the second time, I did not try to BF but I did notice that the second time I leaked for 2 weeks or so which was different than my first preganancy.

As far as recovery, really you will need some help as you can lift anyting over 10 lbs for up to 2 weeks. Alos, I had drainage tubes for 10 days. I have had 2 girlfriends in North Atlanta who had it done after they "knew" they were done having children and they had pretty similar recoveries.

Just an FYI, if your weight fluctuates you boobs will grow back, maybe not as big obviously but I have gone from a C in my early 20's to a DD for the most part now. but I have gained some weight obviously. My boobs still look way better than they did before I had the reduction.

Best thing I ever did!

As far as a surgeon, I would go by reference of teh doctors. Can you get a goos 5-10 person list?

cstack
05-07-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm contemplating, too, but I'm going to wait until I lose the weight I want to lose, just in case they shrink naturally (I can hope, right?).

What exactly do they do? I'm wondering about scarring, where they take the tissue from, do they lift them as well as reducing them, all that jazz. I just want my body back to some semblance of "normal" and these babies just aren't it.

Corie
05-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Debbie,

I don't have any BTDT experience since I am on the opposite end of this spectrum.
(I can barely fill up my A cups.)

"Rhode Island Monthly" magazine did a big article a few months ago about the
Best Doctors in Rhode Island.

Here are their picks for plastic surgery.

Patrick Sullivan
(Rhode Island Hospital)

Lori Polacek
(St. Joseph Hospital, The Miriam Hospital)

Pierre Michaud
(Women and Infants' Hospital, South County Hospital, Kent Hospital)

David Barrall
(The Miriam Hospital)

Richard Zienowicz
(Rhode Island Hospital)

I have seen a magazine called BOSTON while at the bookstore. I'm betting that
they have a done a past article on the Best Doctors in the Boston area. These doctors
are voted on by their peers.
This may give you a starting point.

jhrabosk
05-07-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure how the procedure has changed, if at all, but here's what they did to me (I went from a DDD to a large C, when it was done originally):

There was an incision around the areola, then down the center of the breast, and underneath the breast (in a "u" shape).

Ditto the pp who talked about drains...although I only had mine for a few days. Having those removed was the most painful part. And also ditto on no lifting for awhile. I was waiting tables at the time and got moved to hostess duty for at least a month.

Also ditto the pp about still thinking they look great after gaining some weight. Like I said previously, I've been back in a DD for awhile and still love them. They did go down to a large D/small DD when I lost 25 pounds before getting pregnant, but overall the shape is better, the "lift" is better...I'm a BIG fan of this surgery. :)

Alice523
05-07-2007, 04:00 PM
I had the surgery on only one side because my left was a cup size larger than my right. Everyone says they have asymmetrical breasts but mine were causing me a lot of grief - I could only wear a certain type of bra/shirt/bathing suit in order for anyone not to notice and I was extremely self-conscious about it. I had the surgery in Oct of 2004, when I was 21. As part of the surgery, the surgeon reduces the size of the areola so that it fits the smaller breast. (It is purely visual.) This can harm your odds of breastfeeding in the future, so I had my surgeon leave mine alone. (I knew no one but DH and future children would see them, even if it looked awful, which it doesn't.)

I chose my surgeon based on my PCP's recommendation and some research I did after my consultation. My doctor was great and I felt very comfortable with her.

The incision was a T shape - it curves along the underside of my areola and at about the middle of that line, a perpendicular line and goes to where my breast meets my ribcage. It can't be seen unless I lift my breast up to examine the underside. (I don't have such perky breasts that you can see the underside without lifting.) ;) It started out looking awful but I used the Neutrogena scar patches 'round the clock for a few months and the scar is a very, very light pink/white now. It looks the same as my stretch marks from DS, only longer/thicker.

The recovery was great. I was in pain if I climbed stairs or jolted my body, but otherwise, I didn't feel it. I didn't take any painkillers after the second or third day. The bandages went around my breasts like a bandeau top and they were removed for a shower the day after the surgery. (Removing the bandages with DH for that shower was the worst part of the ordeal. It hurt so much to peel them off the wound.) I had to then wear a sport bra with a front zip 24 hours/day for 2 weeks and be careful going up the stairs, lifting things, etc. A few weeks later, I was back to doing my normal activities.

I am still nursing my 17 month old DS. We didn't have any supply issues, but I will tell you that when I pumped, I always got about an ounce less from the side that was reduced. (I was still getting 3 ounces per session out of that side, so it didn't matter.) I don't know if nursed successfully because I declined the areola reduction or if I would have been able to nurse either way. It couldn't have hurt, though.

My breasts did grow 3 cup sizes from pregnancy and nursing, but they are the same size, which is all that matters to me. I am now down to 1 feeding and 2 sizes bigger than pre-pg, so I hope that when we wean, I'll go back to a C.

It was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I had endoscopic sinus surgery in high school and let me tell you, the breast reduction was a piece of cake! It was so, so easy and I am incredibly pleased with the results.

Good luck with your decision!

kellij
05-07-2007, 04:22 PM
I definitely want to have this done at some point too. After seeing the surgery done on tv, I decided I'm not super fired up about it though, it looked awful. Also, my sil had a horrible experience, got an infection, etc, so that makes me a little more nervous.

My plan is to wait until I'm done with having kids and that way I can have a reduction/lift and be done with it. I'm bf my DD right now and I bf my DS and I'd hate to miss out on that. Plus, I've waited this long, it doesn't seem like it is that far down the road now.

I want to be a full B. :) (I haven't been that size since 6th grade!)

DebbieJ
05-07-2007, 06:05 PM
I had it done in 1996, had ds in 2003.

The most popular technique is called inferior pedicle. That's what I had. Your nipple stays attached so your chances of retaining feeling and keeping all your ducts intact is greatest with this technique.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have waited until after kids--no doubt about it. Even though I did BF ds for 20 months, I made at most 50% of his needs and supplemented the rest at the breast. He was 100% breastfed, but not all of it was breastmilk.

But, after I had it done, it did have a huge effect on my self esteem and self image and even the way others viewed me. They actually looked at my face instead of my chest when I talked to them.

I really have no idea what size I was then, but I went down to a B cup at the time. And of course I weigh plenty more now, so I'm up to a D. :)

I would encourage you to check out www.bfar.org. They have TONS of info about the techniques, what to expect, breastfeeding help, etc. I never would have made it without those message boards and the support of my local LLL group.

My recovery time was relatively short--I couldn't drive for 2 weeks and then I think I was pretty much back to normal. But then again, I was only 22 at the time... ;)

Please ANYONE feel free to PM me for more info or for support. I am a firm believer in breastfeeding and can tell you more about how I made it work for me.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Melanie
05-07-2007, 06:59 PM
>I definitely want to have this done at some point too. After
>seeing the surgery done on tv, I decided I'm not super fired
>up about it though, it looked awful. Also, my sil had a
>horrible experience, got an infection, etc, so that makes me a
>little more nervous.
>
>My plan is to wait until I'm done with having kids and that
>way I can have a reduction/lift and be done with it. I'm bf
>my DD right now and I bf my DS and I'd hate to miss out on
>that. Plus, I've waited this long, it doesn't seem like it is
>that far down the road now.
>
>I want to be a full B. :) (I haven't been that size since
>6th grade!)

My sentiments exactly! I was all for it, then I saw some of those Breast surgeries on TV (enhancements, though I would imagine the pain is similiar). It's still in my plan, but once I won't be lifting small children, and of course not BFing them anymore.

cvanbrunt
05-07-2007, 07:39 PM
I had this done in '91 when I was 22. Best thing I ever did. Like others, I wasn't huge but incredibly self-conscious. I went from DD to a C. Sometimes, I even fit into a B cup. I had the incision that goes around the areola, down the center of the breast and underneath like a "U". Every provider that has ever seen the girls comments on what a great job the surgeon did. I too would suggest checking with your OB/GYN or whoever does your annual breast exam for names of surgeons. I wasn't thinking about BF in college and did not BF my first kiddo (14 years after surgery). I have never beaten myself up over it. The freedom from the sore back, bras and clothes that fit, stares from boys/men, improved posture, was such a relief. I'm currently pregant with #2 and will try again but if not, I won't feel guilty.
In terms of recovery, I don't remember a bunch of the details. I did have the surgery over Christmas break my senior year of college so the down time couldn't have been that much. I had to have someone carry my suitcase up the two flights of stairs but that was it. I remember commenting on not really needing pain killers post-op. The only thing I ever took was Tylenol.

cstack
05-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Was there a lot of scarring? Do they look good naked or just with a bra on?

jhrabosk
05-07-2007, 09:05 PM
I met my DH shortly after my surgery, so he's the only one who's ever seen them...he's always been happy. :)

Oh, that's another thing...I didn't have any sensation in my nipples for quite awhile. I do now, but it took some time. And there are some areas, near the scars, that I still don't, but it's never been a big deal.