PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the name GEORGE

bisous
05-07-2007, 01:51 PM
So, I'm having a boy--not a girl like I previously thought. The doctors wouldn't say definitively that it was a girl before but my DH and I were SOOO sure! Sure enough the most recent US has revealed that I'm definitely having a boy. I'm kind of loving the name George, right now and want to know all opinions. Other names I like are Charles (especially the shortened Charlie) and William (shortened to Will) my DS name is James Thomas and I like the names to "match". Last name rhymes with lackey.

Which names do you like?

TIA

Jen

hudsonam
05-07-2007, 01:54 PM
I think George is cute, but I love Will. :)

ETA: I'd like to use the name Will, but it sounds too goofy with my last name, which starts with a W.

KBecks
05-07-2007, 01:59 PM
I love the name George. My dad was Edward George. I know another, wonderful, intelligent, delightful person named George IRL.

I considered it for John. However, I'm afraid my DH's parents and grandparents would not like the name George, as they are not fans of our current president. Now for me, I love W, so it's a bonus.

ETA: I like all the names you suggested. My only concern is that Charlies grow up to be Chucks, at least some of the time.

megs4413
05-07-2007, 02:38 PM
i like will a lot better...especially with james

JBaxter
05-07-2007, 02:51 PM
I like Charlie the best. With DS2 he was almost William until his grandfater refered to him as little willie and little house on the prarie came to my head I liked Will but disliked Willie ALOT.
George I dont care for as much.

ast96
05-07-2007, 02:58 PM
My second DS is named Charles (Charlie) and now that I have to name a third, my DH is pushing for George to be in there (it's his name, but he is a third, so he goes by a nickname). I like George in theory, but not in practice. Does that make sense? I think it is cute on some kids and I have known a lot of great Georges. I just don't know if I see it as the name for MY kid.

I love Will too. Charlie has served us very well -- I get a lot of compliments on it, which I find a little funny since it isn't a "new" name.

Lovingliv
05-07-2007, 03:03 PM
See my last thread entitled "Can you stand another name thread?"

I LOVE Charlie! I also like Will a lot!

Congrats!

Lovingliv
05-07-2007, 03:04 PM
ohhh,,,,I also LOVE James!!! Not Jim, James!

Alice523
05-07-2007, 03:12 PM
I really like the name George. My DH's grandfather was a George and he was a great man, so we considered incorporating it into my DS's name, which ended up being James. It's still on the list for any future boys. I also LOVE Charlie and think it's coming back because I've heard it lately. I'm not crazy about Will, but it's a good name, too.

James, Charlie, and Henry are our favorite boy names.

fortato
05-07-2007, 03:23 PM
I like Charlie... not very popular right now.

George... makes me think of Curious George.

Charles William (that way you can call him Charlie or Will!)

I like Will too, but Charlie is my #1.

Mamma2004
05-07-2007, 03:30 PM
I agree with you!

My DS is James and we really debated - we LOVED the name James for him but nicknames just didn't seem to suit him. Just the other day someone asked, "Yes, but what does he go by?" Grrrrrrrrr! His name is James and he doesn't even know that Jim and Jimmy derive from it.

Stephanie (not "Steph"!)

wendmatt
05-07-2007, 03:50 PM
I like Will.

emilyf
05-07-2007, 06:30 PM
I love George-I like all the names on your list- Charlie was almost James, and we considered Will as well but it doesn't go with our last name. I think George is probably a bit less popular right now which is kind of nice.
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

pb&j
05-07-2007, 07:29 PM
I love George, but because it's a family name, and I love the person whose name it is. It was almost DS's name, and if we have another son someday, it will probably be his name.

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

Ceepa
05-07-2007, 09:03 PM
George was high on the list for both me and DH.

MamaMolly
05-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Well, I like John George. Or maybe George William, which I think goes well with James Thomas.
Now if you name a third son William something-or-other, your boys will have the same first names as my dad and uncles! ;-)

Fun how these go around and come around!

g-mama
05-07-2007, 09:24 PM
I like George, but feel like it sometimes "fits" the boy and sometimes not as much. Somehow that name - for me - can work or not work. It's like some Georges look like a George and others don't. Makes no sense, I know, but it's how I feel.

I like Charlie and Will a lot, too. I really wanted to name ds3 Charlie but dh didn't like it, especially since that was the name of my childhood dog!

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

cstack
05-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Ala Willie Wonka? LOL

tchrmom13
05-07-2007, 09:55 PM
I vote for William - and shorten the nickname to Will. Very fun (kinda trendy but also traditional). FWIW - I can't stand Willie or Billy or Bill as nicknames. I like George but personally have always liked names that have the flexibility to be either formal or casual. Georgie doesn't sound quite right for some reason...

We have a William Christopher, he was almost a William Charles! Too funny.

Good Luck,

Heather
Mommy William 3/20/06

cstack
05-07-2007, 09:57 PM
I think it's more important how you feel about the name. I know several Georges, most of whom I like, but it's not a favorite of mine (plus it makes me think of Georgie Porgie). I love Charlie and simply adore Will, but if you like George the best, then that's what you should choose. I must say that I love that you've stuck with more classic names.

squimp
05-07-2007, 10:19 PM
I know a little George, and I think it's an adorable name.

lizajane
05-07-2007, 10:27 PM
ok, i will be totally honest. i don't like it at all. sorry.

i LOVE charlie and like will a lot, too.

JoyNChrist
05-08-2007, 12:42 AM
See, now I love James, but I'm also a Jimmy fan. Might have something to do with a really hot Jimmy I went to high school with, though...;-)

My favorite of your choices is Charlie. It just seems like such a "friendly" name. How could you not like a Charlie?

denna
05-08-2007, 01:20 AM
I agree I think William James sounds really great!

And now that someone mentioned George (aka G.W.) Im personally not liking it so much anymore.

But if that connotation can be avoided I think George is a very cute name!
:D

Im glad you found out now what you are *truly* having...hope you didnt buy too much 'girl' stuff.

Congrats!

kijip
05-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Politics aside, I love it (surprise!) Still there is not much of a nickname there.

I also love, love, love Charlie.