PDA

View Full Version : Good videos/movies for kids right now?

millerpjm
05-07-2007, 02:51 PM
We normally don't watch a ton of TV, but my 4 year old DS will be having his tonsils out in a couple of weeks, and I wanted to get him a couple new videos/movies to watch while he's recovering. He likes Dora/Diego, Veggietales, Backyardigans, Cars, etc. What's new and good? TIA!

Jen

megs4413
05-07-2007, 03:53 PM
dd really liked happy feet.

SnuggleBuggles
05-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Does he have the Toy Story movies? Not new but maybe new to him. :)

some older:
Madagascar
Over the Hedge
Shrek
The Shaggy Dog
The Incredible Journey
Curious George

I have been hitting the DVD section at the library for some older movies that I had forgotten about. Ds' loved The Incredible Journey (the one with the 2 dogs and cat who get lost).

Beth

Snugglibumkins
05-07-2007, 05:19 PM
I was going to say check the library, too.

My kids are in love with Pete's Dragon, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Mary Poppins, The Wizard of Oz (we stop it when they get to OZ - I think the flying monkeys are scary!!), Peter Pan (the musical with Mary Martin) etc.

We are in a groove of watching older movies. Some of the newer cartoon movies seem too 'mature' for my crowd.

KBecks
05-07-2007, 05:29 PM
We just watched Charlotte's Web and liked it.

maestramommy
05-07-2007, 06:39 PM
How about Max? He's that chubby rabbit with the older sister Ruby. We've read a couple books, but I saw a couple of them at a friend's house, and they're pretty good. Then there's that mouse ballerina whose name I can't recall right now, but also pretty cute.

scoop22
05-07-2007, 07:17 PM
we are into the wee sing video's. there are lots of them our favorites are: sillyville, together, train and many more.
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

egoldber
05-07-2007, 09:20 PM
My DD loves the Scholastic Video series. They take classic picture books and make a "movie" out of the book while someone reads the words of the book. Its almost like a library story time. :) There are several "books" per tape/DVD. Most libraries have lots of these in their video section.

Momof3Labs
05-07-2007, 09:27 PM
My DS thought that Stuart Little was hilarious. He also loves Animal Planet-like educational videos - particularly ones about bugs (Bug City is the series, I think; we got them at the library). The Hardhat Harry series about different types of trucks is pretty educational, and was pretty cheap at deepdiscount.com ($18 for 6 DVDs) when I bought it for him.

I'd suggest watching Shrek, Shrek II and Iron Giant on your own first if you happen to pick them out - I wasn't 100% pleased with the language in those and prefer that DS1 not watch them.

ett
05-07-2007, 10:41 PM
We've been checking out Reading Rainbow DVDs from the library. There's also a couple of Mr. Roger's Neighborhood DVDs available.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
05-08-2007, 12:27 AM
Avi's current favorites include:

Bob the builder- we have cable with on demand, so we did not have to purchase this.
Curious George
Cars
Monster's Inc, but it has some scary parts
Happy Feet
Avi also likes Popeye which is also on On Demand
Seseame Street
Elmo series
Tarzan 1 and 2
Toy Story

Oh, wow, it seems like avi is obsessed with TV but he watches about 1/2 hour a day so that mom/dad can cook dinner.

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061128/V76Q.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/wYA-m8/.png[/img][/url]

sdbc
05-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Not new, but not mainstream, so you may not have seen it:

My Neighbor Totoro. --This is my all-time favorite movie now. DD adored it, too. Netflix has it.

Also, an oldie but goodie that DD loves: Mary Poppins!

We avoid anything with too much action/violence/name calling.

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

sdbc
05-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Not new, but not mainstream, so you may not have seen it:

My Neighbor Totoro. --This is my all-time favorite movie now. DD adored it, too. Netflix has it.

Also, an oldie but goodie that DD loves: Mary Poppins!

We avoid anything with too much action/violence/name calling.

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04