PDA

View Full Version : Wrong Sex?

mommabear
05-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Did any of you have a different sex baby than what the Dr predicted. Or Did Dr change predicted Sex after 20 Weeks? How often does this happen?

rgors
05-07-2007, 08:13 PM
I don't have a story -- but my OB delivers about 125-150 babies per year. His assistant told me that in the last three years, they were wrong only once.

JBaxter
05-07-2007, 08:25 PM
My sister had weekly U/S most of her 2nd pregnancy due to placenta previa. She was having a girl up till 36-37 weeks when "Ethan" was discovered. Up till that point he just wasnt showing all he had :). She was a little upset because she really wanted a girl but quickly got over it.

cstack
05-07-2007, 08:57 PM
when I had DS2, the DH of the lady in the room next to me was on the phone with the carpet guy trying to have him change out the pink carpet to blue. She was having a girl, right up until she had the boy. I believe it's more rare to be wrong about a boy than a girl. Usually, if they say "boy" they've pretty much got the evidence. However, boy parts can hide, so if they say "girl" it's less certain. Also, if they determine sex early in the pregnancy, and say it's a girl, there could be a mistake, because all of the boy parts don't descend until a bit later in the pregnancy, so it's always possible they haven't descended yet.

JoyNChrist
05-08-2007, 01:01 AM
>I believe it's more rare to be wrong
>about a boy than a girl. Usually, if they say "boy" they've
>pretty much got the evidence.

This is what I've heard too. When we found out about DS, I kept asking the doctor if he was absolutely sure it was a boy, since I was so sure I was having a girl (I just "knew"...well, I thought I did, anyway). Finally he pointed to the little "turtle" and said, "You see that, honey? Little girls don't come with those!" :-)

fauve01
05-08-2007, 09:55 AM
this happened to my best friend. she had weekly u/s for a condition and didn't know til she delivered the docs were wrong all along. it happened to a girl i worked with too--she found out when she delivered. were were talking about it at the playgroup yesterday and my new friend said it happened to her friend who was having twins--they said one of each and it was two of the same; she didn't find out til delivery.

whenever anyone tells me they know the sex, i always ask if they've had an amnio!

anne + dd 10-03

jhrabosk
05-08-2007, 10:19 AM
One of my grad school classmates was told by 2 or 3 different doctors that she was having a girl, but she kept having boy dreams. Turned out she was right. :)

klwa
05-08-2007, 11:14 AM
A lady (in her late 20's) that I work with was told with two of her three children that she was having girls. All three are boys.
-Kris

kellyotn
05-08-2007, 04:12 PM
I know a mom who had a big oops pregnancy. Her other children were in their mid-teens. Because of her "advanced maternal age" she had lots and lots of ultrasounds. And, because she had no gear and no clothes anymore, she choose to find out this time what she was having. (With the older girls, they did not find out before the birth.)

Ultrasound after ultrasound had the various docs and techs saying "girl". Over and over.

Sure enough, their son came home in a pink outfit to a roomful of other pink stuff. ;)

Today, he's probably the most "macho" little guy I've ever seen. Its like he's compensating for his early pink-ness. ;)

kellyotn
05-08-2007, 04:12 PM
I know a mom who had a big oops pregnancy. Her other children were in their mid-teens. Because of her "advanced maternal age" she had lots and lots of ultrasounds. And, because she had no gear and no clothes anymore, she choose to find out this time what she was having. (With the older girls, they did not find out before the birth.)

Ultrasound after ultrasound had the various docs and techs saying "girl". Over and over.

Sure enough, their son came home in a pink outfit to a roomful of other pink stuff. ;)

Today, he's probably the most "macho" little guy I've ever seen. Its like he's compensating for his early pink-ness. ;)

HIU8
05-08-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm 33 weeks PG. Ultrasounds at 20 weeks they said girl. Ultrasound at 28 weeks I asked them to doublecheck. The tech was kinda nasty, but pointed out labia. "See" she says, "no penis. Here are her labia!"

So, we shall see...

Heather
DS 11/27/04
DD EDD 6/22/07

HIU8
05-08-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm 33 weeks PG. Ultrasounds at 20 weeks they said girl. Ultrasound at 28 weeks I asked them to doublecheck. The tech was kinda nasty, but pointed out labia. "See" she says, "no penis. Here are her labia!"

So, we shall see...

Heather
DS 11/27/04
DD EDD 6/22/07

Tondi G
05-08-2007, 05:11 PM
With both of my boys we found our early that they were infact boys... around 16 weeks or so. Every US after that inital one I asked them to check again. There was never any doubt!

I DO know 3 people personally who were told one sex and had another. One it was her 3rd child and they were told they had a 3rd son on the way... it was a girl. Another she was going to wait to find out and then broke down later on in her pregnancy and was told she was having another boy (she had a daughter and a son already). The baby was born and no one thought to check.... for over 10 minutes they were talking about what a Handsome BOY he was and then the nurse opened up the blanket and exclaimed "this beautiful boy is a GIRL folks!" The last one was told from early on it was a GIRL and in the end delievered a boy... Mylee became Myles!

I guess you don't really know till they arrive but all the US techs, my OB and my perinatologist got good clear shots and were certain my boys were boys!

~Tondi

Tondi G
05-08-2007, 05:11 PM
With both of my boys we found our early that they were infact boys... around 16 weeks or so. Every US after that inital one I asked them to check again. There was never any doubt!

I DO know 3 people personally who were told one sex and had another. One it was her 3rd child and they were told they had a 3rd son on the way... it was a girl. Another she was going to wait to find out and then broke down later on in her pregnancy and was told she was having another boy (she had a daughter and a son already). The baby was born and no one thought to check.... for over 10 minutes they were talking about what a Handsome BOY he was and then the nurse opened up the blanket and exclaimed "this beautiful boy is a GIRL folks!" The last one was told from early on it was a GIRL and in the end delievered a boy... Mylee became Myles!

I guess you don't really know till they arrive but all the US techs, my OB and my perinatologist got good clear shots and were certain my boys were boys!

~Tondi

Jenn98
05-08-2007, 07:21 PM
I have only heard of one person I sorta know of this happening to. I had a regular 20 week US and an elective 3D/4D US with both of my girls. We did the elective US mostly to confirm that it was indeed a girl! I have been told that it really deopends a lot on the skill of the tech doing the scan.

Jenn98
05-08-2007, 07:21 PM
I have only heard of one person I sorta know of this happening to. I had a regular 20 week US and an elective 3D/4D US with both of my girls. We did the elective US mostly to confirm that it was indeed a girl! I have been told that it really deopends a lot on the skill of the tech doing the scan.

DrSally
05-10-2007, 07:01 AM
Yes, wrong sex, but DS was face down with legs tucked in. The dr. said he was 90% sure it was a girl. Next time I'm going to ask to see it for myself.

ETA: And we didn't find out until he was born, but after 21 hours of labor and 4 hrs. of pushing, I was just so happy he was out!

lmintzer
05-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Happened to a friend of mine with her first. She was told at a 19 week ultrasound that she was having a girl. She was totally surpised when a boy arrived!

What's super funny about this is that we went to see her (she lives out of state) when she was around 22 weeks. We were introducing Jack to her, and we have a video of us saying, "A little buddy for Jack is coming--a baby girl". It was hysterical when we were watching the video a year later or so, and we realized how wrong we all were!

geochick
05-10-2007, 10:06 AM
My OB told me it happens about 5% of the time.