PDA

View Full Version : Have any of your DC done this?

kellij
05-07-2007, 08:38 PM
My DD will be 1 next week. For several months when she gets upset she cries and throws her head back, so that it hits whatever is behind her. It seems to happen most often in the highchair. More recently (within the past month), she also throws her body forward when she's sitting down. So she ends up slamming her little head on the ground. Or in the bathtub, into the water (although she definitely jerked it right back up). This happens several times a day. I do think it's when she's more tired, but that's not always the case. I thought maybe she is just willful and having tantrums at a really young age; and when I asked the dr. about it that's what she thought too. However, I'm just kind of worried about it, that there may be a more serious issue, and I thought I see if anyone else had any similar types of experiences.

Thanks!!

fortato
05-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Oh yeah... Jack does this all the time,and then he looks at me like it's my fault... He will throw his head back or tip over (he's very top heavy). He's started to slow himself down when he throws himself back... that's pretty funny to watch... being cautious during your tantrum...

I'm waiting for the kicking tantrums to start!

ShanaMama
05-07-2007, 11:23 PM
DD never did it, but I know head banging is very common during tantrums. That's when the child actually bangs their head against the wall/ crib. I don't have BTDT experience, but from what I've heard it's just an attention mechanism & you can ignore it, obviously just make sure DC is safe. I'm guessing this head-throwing-back is a similar scenario. I wouldn't be too concerned.
Of course if you want to freak out, you could always do a Google search & I'm sure you'll find some horrible name for the 'syndrome' ;)

Aunt to sweet baby boy
05-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Avi used to do this. When he was being held and did not want to, or was not happy about what was going on. He would arch his back and make it very hard to hold him, he was about 29 lbs at 1 year, and is very big for his age. I just started to carry him more on my hip at that time, and keep an arm on his upper back in case he decided to arch his back while being held.

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061128/V76Q.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/wYA-m8/.png[/img][/url]

denna
05-08-2007, 01:29 AM
DS does this...so Im hoping its totally normal. Usually we are there to catch him but sometimes (like this past weekend) he will be caught by the corner of the night stand and bust his lip.

He also does the bath tub thing but he does it on purpose...over and over and gets a bubble goatie and just laughs!

I havent figured out a way to help him with his tantrums, besides sit him down when he begins to cry.

I think this is just going to be a tough age for all of us. Testing our limits, rebellion, fun times!

klwa
05-08-2007, 05:41 AM
YEs, yes, yes, and Yes! Once DS got mobile(so between 6-9 months), he would crawl until he got to something hard he could hit his head one then slam himself backwards into it. When you actually watch them planning all of this out, you realize that they're doing it for the attention. I laughed at the ped's office when they told me that by 18 months he MIGHT start having tantrums. When I described what he was doing, they just kind of went, "Oh, yes, that's a tantrum. They might get worse."
-Kris