PDA

View Full Version : Anybody's DC Do These Types of Things?...

randomkid
05-08-2007, 07:32 AM
I have noticed this about DD since she was old enough to pick up her toys and walk. Don't get me wrong, she is very good at making big messes and leaving them (which is the majority of the time), but she also likes to put things away and line things up. There have been times when I see her making a mess and think, "oh great, more to clean up", then when I go back to clean up, she has put it all away! Not just randomly, but put the toys back in the proper box, then put the box back on the proper shelf. She has even put books back on the right shelf. She took a pair of my shoes and the shoebox out of the closet once. The shoes were on the floor and I went looking all over for the box - found it in the closet on the shelf in the right place. BTW, she started this before I ever started teaching her to clean up.

Another thing she does is closes drawers and doors. If there is a closet door open or a drawer open (usually when I'm using them), she will walk by and close them. She also closes the garbage can lid if it's left open. The first time I asker her to bring her dinner plate to the kitchen, she brought the plate, then made several trips to bring her spoon, cup, bowl and even the placemat - lol! This is what she did yesterday:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/randomkidfl/animalsinline002.jpg

Just curious and wondering (hoping) this personality trait will last.:-)

elliput
05-08-2007, 07:40 AM
DD will clean up afer herself at daycare. At home, not so much, except that she will always but the lid on the toilet down if someone left it up. LOL!

mudder17
05-08-2007, 07:52 AM
Cute! Not my kid, but our close friends at church have a grandson who was just like that. He had bins of toy soldiers and similar things and he would line them up all the time. And yes, doors had to be closed, things put away in cabinets, etc. I hope it lasts for you. :)

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/5.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png

Wife_and_mommy
05-08-2007, 09:11 AM
nak

dd likes to line things up too. she's not too great on p/u her toys, though. she's better with dh than me for some reason.

i did know one little boy at church who was a fanatic about cleaning/organizing. his favorite pastime was rearranging furniture, lol. i def. think it's a personality thing.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url] http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b4.lilypie.com/HSUwm4.png
http://b2.lilypie.com/UgAXm5.png

dhano923
05-08-2007, 10:04 AM
My DD is 17 months and is also a neat freak! She also likes to organize her toys (not rows, but in groups of some kind). She loves to clean. She pickjs up all the toys from the floor, pick up crumbs form the floor and bring them to you so you can throw them away, etc. If she finds a papertowel, she runs to the coffee table and starts wiping it!

She also likes all the cabinets and doors to be closed. If we are going in/out of the baby gate, she rushes over to close it, or stands there until everyone has walked through and then pulls it shut.

Globetrotter
05-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Both my kids do this sort of thing, taking after their anal mom I suppose :)

Kris

sidmand
05-08-2007, 12:42 PM
DS loves to close doors. Unfortunately, sometimes Mommy or Daddy is still inside the refrigerator when the door suddenly closes on them! :)

At our playgroup he constantly tries to shut the fake microwave door. If you ask him to shut the gate, he goes running up and shuts it, shuts the door to the basement...

He also does love to line things up. I think he likes to make a mess a bit more though. I can't say I've ever found everything put away! My DH would love that ('cause that would mean DS DOESN'T take after me).

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

randomkid
05-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Oh, trust me, DD is much better at making and leaving messes than cleaning them up! It's just at times, she will pick up ONE mess that she made. Although, I can sometimes get her to help me clean up without much difficulty (often I just get this sweet little "nooOOOoo"). She never puts everything away - that would be nice, wouldn't it? One of her favorite things to do is to empty everything out of a box, drawer, etc. I'm just hopeful that this trait is a permanent personality trait and that it just grows stronger as she gets older!

mdb78
05-08-2007, 03:31 PM
That is so cute! I hope my DD is like that and doesn't take after my DH!

Does she know how to use the locks on doors yet? Be careful! My mom told me this story that when I was almost 2 I locked out my mom and dad when they were taking out the trash one day. They had to go to our neighbors and call my grandmother for the extra key.. They said when they finally got in I was just sitting there in the foyer waiting for them! :)

mdb78
05-08-2007, 03:31 PM
That is so cute! I hope my DD is like that and doesn't take after my DH!

Does she know how to use the locks on doors yet? Be careful! My mom told me this story that when I was almost 2 I locked out my mom and dad when they were taking out the trash one day. They had to go to our neighbors and call my grandmother for the extra key.. They said when they finally got in I was just sitting there in the foyer waiting for them! :)

shilo
05-08-2007, 06:09 PM
yup. sam lines up trains just like that. books on the shelf, crayons/pens in the box, blueberries on the plate, etc. he's pretty good about putting things away most of the time if you ask him, but i rarely see him do it much on his own without promting yet. but he's totally a mess maker too :). pulling blocks or duplo's out of the bin/bag one at a time?? nahh, that's no fun, much better to dump them all out on the floor mommy!

i think he's always been into organizing/sorting stuff tho, so like you, i'm thinking it's just kind of a personality trait. he started using a shape sorter (pretty much correctly) at 8 or 9 months and sorts by color, shape, size and type now fluently (by choice, totally not something we 'practice' - it's just something he likes to do). he also loves puzzles, the more pieces, the better. but he stinks at expressive language (something we practice _all the time_, sigh, so it's all good :) - they all have their quirks, no?

thanks for the reminder to get a picture of it! it's a total 'sam thang'
lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

shilo
05-08-2007, 06:09 PM
yup. sam lines up trains just like that. books on the shelf, crayons/pens in the box, blueberries on the plate, etc. he's pretty good about putting things away most of the time if you ask him, but i rarely see him do it much on his own without promting yet. but he's totally a mess maker too :). pulling blocks or duplo's out of the bin/bag one at a time?? nahh, that's no fun, much better to dump them all out on the floor mommy!

i think he's always been into organizing/sorting stuff tho, so like you, i'm thinking it's just kind of a personality trait. he started using a shape sorter (pretty much correctly) at 8 or 9 months and sorts by color, shape, size and type now fluently (by choice, totally not something we 'practice' - it's just something he likes to do). he also loves puzzles, the more pieces, the better. but he stinks at expressive language (something we practice _all the time_, sigh, so it's all good :) - they all have their quirks, no?

thanks for the reminder to get a picture of it! it's a total 'sam thang'
lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

maestramommy
05-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Wow! I wish my kid did that! So far Dora's good at empyting only. She may put blocks back in the bin, but you have to keep on her, and help out. Forget about putting books back on the shelf. She really tries, but she hasn't gotten the hang of creating a space to do it and just tries to cram the book back in it's original spot. At least I try to get her to bring it back to her room.

She does like to close doors, so she closes the bathroom door when I come out, the dishwasher when I'm done unloading, the cabinets after opening. And she's very good about returning stray objects to their original spot if I tell her to "put it back." Don't know how she remembers but she does.

maestramommy
05-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Wow! I wish my kid did that! So far Dora's good at empyting only. She may put blocks back in the bin, but you have to keep on her, and help out. Forget about putting books back on the shelf. She really tries, but she hasn't gotten the hang of creating a space to do it and just tries to cram the book back in it's original spot. At least I try to get her to bring it back to her room.

She does like to close doors, so she closes the bathroom door when I come out, the dishwasher when I'm done unloading, the cabinets after opening. And she's very good about returning stray objects to their original spot if I tell her to "put it back." Don't know how she remembers but she does.

blueeyedb
05-08-2007, 08:17 PM
My DS is such a neat freak it's crazy. He cleans up after himself (for the most part) and goes aroung the house picking up lint from the floor and giving it to me to throw away. I'm ever hopeful that he'll be cleaning the whole house by the time he turns two!

blueeyedb
05-08-2007, 08:17 PM
My DS is such a neat freak it's crazy. He cleans up after himself (for the most part) and goes aroung the house picking up lint from the floor and giving it to me to throw away. I'm ever hopeful that he'll be cleaning the whole house by the time he turns two!

pb&j
05-08-2007, 09:15 PM
May I borrow your DD? DS only ever puts his blocks in their basket for the sole purpose of immediately upending said basket, and scattering the blocks all over the playroom.

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

pb&j
05-08-2007, 09:15 PM
May I borrow your DD? DS only ever puts his blocks in their basket for the sole purpose of immediately upending said basket, and scattering the blocks all over the playroom.

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

Kyras mom
05-09-2007, 01:50 AM
Our DD is an expert mess maker. She also loves to line things up as well. Here is one of her line-ups.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s236/karenrecabaren/Kyrasfriends2.jpg

Kyras mom
05-09-2007, 01:50 AM
Our DD is an expert mess maker. She also loves to line things up as well. Here is one of her line-ups.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s236/karenrecabaren/Kyrasfriends2.jpg

kijip
05-09-2007, 02:12 AM
Yes, Toby is a bigger neat freak than me or J and that is really saying a lot. :P

Organizing, ordering, sorting, putting away, taking out and reorganizing...you name it. At some time or another it has been a past time of Toby's.

ETA: He also is big on putting things back where he saw them first/thinks they belong. We had a mirror that we were fixing the back of to hang and it lived in the hallway for a few weeks when we first bought it (from Value Village) before it was hung up and he wants to take it off the wall and put it back in the hallway...that is where it "belongs" he says.

kijip
05-09-2007, 02:12 AM
Yes, Toby is a bigger neat freak than me or J and that is really saying a lot. :P

Organizing, ordering, sorting, putting away, taking out and reorganizing...you name it. At some time or another it has been a past time of Toby's.

ETA: He also is big on putting things back where he saw them first/thinks they belong. We had a mirror that we were fixing the back of to hang and it lived in the hallway for a few weeks when we first bought it (from Value Village) before it was hung up and he wants to take it off the wall and put it back in the hallway...that is where it "belongs" he says.

Fairy
05-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Count me in. DS in big into "clean up, clean up ..." He's also big into leaving a mess. But he very often likes to pick up the mess and put things back where he got them. He likes to make sure the toilet lid is down and the garbag can is closed. He doesn't line stuff up, tho ...

Fairy
05-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Count me in. DS in big into "clean up, clean up ..." He's also big into leaving a mess. But he very often likes to pick up the mess and put things back where he got them. He likes to make sure the toilet lid is down and the garbag can is closed. He doesn't line stuff up, tho ...

kfk
05-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Both boys love to dump and throw toys. But they also will do clean-up, in the appropriate containers, sometimes independently, sometimes with prompting. They also invent projects where all of something (like the stuffed animals) are transferred (often at a run) from their basket to the couch, or a crib, etc. If I'm lucky, I can convince them cheerleader style to "reverse" the project so the toys go back to their places.

Jake also had a phase of lining things up, mostly his cars. He also will open a drawer that's not fully shut because something is poking out (usually DH's drawers), fix the offending piece of clothing and reshut the drawer. That is so me!

kfk
05-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Both boys love to dump and throw toys. But they also will do clean-up, in the appropriate containers, sometimes independently, sometimes with prompting. They also invent projects where all of something (like the stuffed animals) are transferred (often at a run) from their basket to the couch, or a crib, etc. If I'm lucky, I can convince them cheerleader style to "reverse" the project so the toys go back to their places.

Jake also had a phase of lining things up, mostly his cars. He also will open a drawer that's not fully shut because something is poking out (usually DH's drawers), fix the offending piece of clothing and reshut the drawer. That is so me!

randomkid
05-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Now THAT is quite a line up! DD hasn't gotten that elaborate...yet :-)

randomkid
05-09-2007, 08:52 PM
So great to hear other's DCs doing the same things that DD does - very cute isn't it? I've also done many of the things some of you have done - like "reversing" a project so things get put away!

ETA: Those animals are still lined up in DD's room and you just better not get near them. If she thinks they are getting bumped or knocked over, she stops what she is doing, says "oh no!" and runs over to make sure they are still ok and makes tiny little adjustments (even if they weren't moved) - lol!

KAK22
05-09-2007, 09:18 PM
My DD is the same way! She loves to clean and if anything is out of place or order, she notices right away. She does this at home and at daycare. She will pass out everyones shoes at daycare and loves to help our provider! It's just her personality.

DH and I are extremely organized people and we sometimes joke that DD has OCD. Sometimes I worry though!

hez
05-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Payton has the same toilet lid issue :)

C99
05-09-2007, 10:25 PM
DD does similar things -- she has always liked putting things away and when I ask her older brother to clean up, she will start cleaning up, too, even if she had nothing to do w/ making the mess or taking the toy items out. She also will close the drawers to my dresser, usually while I am putting laundry away. If I am doing kid-laundry, she will pick up DH's jeans and put them into the basket, she likes to help me sort laundry and if I give her the wet clothes from the washer, she'll put them in the dryer for me.

My DS also gets particular about where things belong in the playroom, and lines up his matchbox cars and gets picky if I move them to a different position while playing w/ him/them.

MeAndMyStar
05-10-2007, 12:54 AM
That picture is too cute! My DD does the same thing with her toys.

When I ask her to put her books away (she sometimes listens, lol!) she will put them all on the shelf facing the correct way. And line up similar sized books next to each other, too. It's really impressive, actually :)

brittone2
05-10-2007, 08:04 AM
DS definitely likes order in his universe. He doesn't necessarily always go out of his way unprompted to put his toys away, but certain things are ridiculously important to him. We have big trash cans for trash pickup. All of the neighbors are basically identical. However, the wheels on our next door neighbors are ever so slightly different from ours. The other night he was totally *freaking* out because the neighbor had *our* trash can (as identified by the wheels). The trash pickup crew just gives whatever can back to whatever house. DS cried for like a half hour.

He likes to wipe up the floor, sweep, and thanks me for "saving" some of the laundry for him to up in the dryer. He lines up toys, but not that often.