PDA

View Full Version : ISO Activities for both a 4 and 1 year old

mattiew
05-08-2007, 02:11 PM
With summer approaching and DD#2 becoming more active (and capable) I find myself searching for activities I can do with both girls at home. When DD #2 was younger she was often content to watch or sort of play along but now she has to be in the middle of the activity. DD #1 is 4 1/2, #2 is 15 months; so far I've thought of bubbles, walks, dancing/playing music, limited reading, and the girls like to wrestle and play "chase". I'd really appreciate other ideas as I feel pulled in two directions when we all try and play. DD#2 is still in the everything goes in her mouth (and eats books) stage and slightly destructive so crayons, sand, etc are not yet possible.

Thanks!!!!!

Momof3Labs
05-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Building with blocks or stacking cups (DS1 builds, DS2 knocks down), playing with cars (shake n go racers are popular here), water/tub games (we do it in the middle of the day sometimes if it is too yucky to go out), DS1 reads to DS2, peg puzzles (DS1 enjoys teaching DS2 how to do them), running around outside in the grass chasing balls...

Walks are a big one here. DS1 rides his big wheel and DS2 tags along in his stroller - can kill an hour or more, easily!

janeybwild
05-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Good ideas Lori. Also, side walk chalks, water table, small pool, sprinkler, tea party, nature walk (grass counts!), hide and seek, hide the bear. I've found that if my 4 yo is entertained I can spend more time with DD#2 helping her to be involved and not put everything in her mouth (although we're coming out of that now). Good thread!

janeybwild
05-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Good ideas Lori. Also, side walk chalks, water table, small pool, sprinkler, tea party, nature walk (grass counts!), hide and seek, hide the bear. I've found that if my 4 yo is entertained I can spend more time with DD#2 helping her to be involved and not put everything in her mouth (although we're coming out of that now). Good thread!

o_mom
05-08-2007, 03:36 PM
If you want to do arts with the 4 yo, you can put the 1 yo in the highchair and give her a baby friendly version of it. For example, you could have the 4 yo doing playdoh and give the 1 yo some homemade 'dough' made from flour, salt and water (google for recipes). For painting, let the 4 yo paint and have the 1 yo use 'baby paint' where you mix vanilla pudding with a couple drops of food color and tape down a piece of fingerpaint paper for her to smear it on.

I try (but don't always succeed) to do some of the baby unfriendly things during nap time. We have DS1's games in a locked closet because DS2 will eat the cherries in Hi-Ho Cherry-O. A couple times a week I will let him pull one out and play a couple times during DS2s nap.

o_mom
05-08-2007, 03:36 PM
If you want to do arts with the 4 yo, you can put the 1 yo in the highchair and give her a baby friendly version of it. For example, you could have the 4 yo doing playdoh and give the 1 yo some homemade 'dough' made from flour, salt and water (google for recipes). For painting, let the 4 yo paint and have the 1 yo use 'baby paint' where you mix vanilla pudding with a couple drops of food color and tape down a piece of fingerpaint paper for her to smear it on.

I try (but don't always succeed) to do some of the baby unfriendly things during nap time. We have DS1's games in a locked closet because DS2 will eat the cherries in Hi-Ho Cherry-O. A couple times a week I will let him pull one out and play a couple times during DS2s nap.