PDA

View Full Version : Elliptical Trainers

mommy111
05-08-2007, 05:11 PM
After a half-yaer of not visiting the gym and gaining weight, I've finally decided that we need an elliptical trainer at HOME so that I don't have to go to the gym. I'm looking for an elliptical b/c its kind to the kness/back.
I'm looking for something reasonably economical.....I figure I'm saving about $400-500 in gym membership over the year and granted the gym has a ton of equipment, getting there is such a hassle with DD that I might as well invest a hundred more on something that I can use at home when she's sleeping.....so for those of you who have ellipticals at home, which ones do you like/love and why?
Thanks so much!

mommy111
05-08-2007, 05:11 PM
After a half-yaer of not visiting the gym and gaining weight, I've finally decided that we need an elliptical trainer at HOME so that I don't have to go to the gym. I'm looking for an elliptical b/c its kind to the kness/back.
I'm looking for something reasonably economical.....I figure I'm saving about $400-500 in gym membership over the year and granted the gym has a ton of equipment, getting there is such a hassle with DD that I might as well invest a hundred more on something that I can use at home when she's sleeping.....so for those of you who have ellipticals at home, which ones do you like/love and why?
Thanks so much!

Tondi G
05-08-2007, 05:16 PM
we are looking to buy one too and I read a lot of reviews over on SEARS and epinions. I found for the most part that you should anticipate spending close to $1000 for a decent machine if you want it to last! We found one at Sports Chalet that was on sale for 999 (I think) that I think we're going to buy.

It is Ironman Evolution I think

http://www.fitnessblowout.com/products/product.php?product=ironman_evo&category=

Good Luck

~Tondi

Tondi G
05-08-2007, 05:16 PM
we are looking to buy one too and I read a lot of reviews over on SEARS and epinions. I found for the most part that you should anticipate spending close to $1000 for a decent machine if you want it to last! We found one at Sports Chalet that was on sale for 999 (I think) that I think we're going to buy.

It is Ironman Evolution I think

http://www.fitnessblowout.com/products/product.php?product=ironman_evo&category=

Good Luck

~Tondi

matthewsmom
05-08-2007, 07:00 PM
I bought the Precor Ellipitical because that was what they used at the gym. I do love it when I use it but I have to say that it's a lot harder to exercise at home. It's become our most expensive towel rack. :-) One of these days Im going to start to working out again. But I really do love our Precor. It has different resisitence levels and it glides really well.

HTH.

matthewsmom
05-08-2007, 07:00 PM
I bought the Precor Ellipitical because that was what they used at the gym. I do love it when I use it but I have to say that it's a lot harder to exercise at home. It's become our most expensive towel rack. :-) One of these days Im going to start to working out again. But I really do love our Precor. It has different resisitence levels and it glides really well.

HTH.

niccig
05-08-2007, 09:06 PM
We have a Precor - DH bought it years ago. It's still going strong. We now use it in the garage. I try to use it a few times a week, not always successful. It helps when I do it right after DS is down for a nap or at night and I have a good DVD to watch.

niccig
05-08-2007, 09:06 PM
We have a Precor - DH bought it years ago. It's still going strong. We now use it in the garage. I try to use it a few times a week, not always successful. It helps when I do it right after DS is down for a nap or at night and I have a good DVD to watch.

mommy111
05-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Matthewsmom and Niccig,
are precors the ones that also have the pre-programmed things (like hill-climb, crosscountry etc)? Those are exactly what I'd like to have!
LOL at the comment about the towel-rack, I think mine may well become the most expensive standing place. Even at the gym, I used to lean on the ellipticals and watch TV :)

mommy111
05-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Matthewsmom and Niccig,
are precors the ones that also have the pre-programmed things (like hill-climb, crosscountry etc)? Those are exactly what I'd like to have!
LOL at the comment about the towel-rack, I think mine may well become the most expensive standing place. Even at the gym, I used to lean on the ellipticals and watch TV :)

Oregonmother
05-09-2007, 12:36 AM
We have a Precor here to and love it. It's in our garage. I use it in the am before the kids get up or in the pm after they go to sleep.

Oregonmother
05-09-2007, 12:36 AM
We have a Precor here to and love it. It's in our garage. I use it in the am before the kids get up or in the pm after they go to sleep.

annasmom
05-09-2007, 06:56 AM
We have a an Octane elliptical. I love it because it feels like I am at the gym. It came with a ton of programs and an arm exercise (the push bars give resistance), but I have yet to figure any of it out. My dh loves the different programs though.

That being said, I don't think it is the most economical route - we have saved gym membership fees, but the elliptical was about $4k, and unfortunately I think I gte more motivation from a gym than my basement!

annasmom
05-09-2007, 06:56 AM
We have a an Octane elliptical. I love it because it feels like I am at the gym. It came with a ton of programs and an arm exercise (the push bars give resistance), but I have yet to figure any of it out. My dh loves the different programs though.

That being said, I don't think it is the most economical route - we have saved gym membership fees, but the elliptical was about $4k, and unfortunately I think I gte more motivation from a gym than my basement!

newnana
05-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Also, as long as it's a good brand, lots of folks have given up on their new year's resolutions by now. Check Craigslist, the classifieds, or 2nd Wind (a used place for excercise equipment).

I love the precor too, but couldn't convince DH to buy one.

newnana
05-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Also, as long as it's a good brand, lots of folks have given up on their new year's resolutions by now. Check Craigslist, the classifieds, or 2nd Wind (a used place for excercise equipment).

I love the precor too, but couldn't convince DH to buy one.

Twins2000
05-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Check out www.consumersearch.com. It has excellent reviews of all different kinds of products. It gathers information from other reviews (Consumer Reports, mags pertinent to the product, amazon, epinions, etc.). I know they have a review of elliptical trainers in all price ranges. Check it out.

Leslie

Twins2000
05-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Check out www.consumersearch.com. It has excellent reviews of all different kinds of products. It gathers information from other reviews (Consumer Reports, mags pertinent to the product, amazon, epinions, etc.). I know they have a review of elliptical trainers in all price ranges. Check it out.

Leslie

KBecks
05-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Honestly, we bought a 3K elliptical that is sitting in the basement unused and has been sitting there unused for years. I think most home gym equipment doesn't get used as people think it will.

I think you might be better served by a nice stroller for walks and doing walking. I'd also recommend a book called Weight Training Made Easy by Joyce Vedral and hand weights. Much cheaper and doesn't take up much space either.

Anyway, whatever you choose, have fun.

KBecks
05-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Honestly, we bought a 3K elliptical that is sitting in the basement unused and has been sitting there unused for years. I think most home gym equipment doesn't get used as people think it will.

I think you might be better served by a nice stroller for walks and doing walking. I'd also recommend a book called Weight Training Made Easy by Joyce Vedral and hand weights. Much cheaper and doesn't take up much space either.

Anyway, whatever you choose, have fun.

mommy111
05-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Thank you all for your replies....I am looking up some reviews in consumer report. Craigslist was such a good idea, found a number of good machines at half price or less, my only concern is how to transport these fully assembled pieces home. Has anyone tried to do that?
Oh well, maybe that will be the workout for me :)

AngelaS
05-10-2007, 05:47 AM
We have one like this: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Fitness&pid=00623667000&vertical=FIT&subcat=Ellipticals&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

It's by Nordic Track and it has preprogrammed workouts, easy to adjust resistance, a fan and you can plug the iPod into it. DH uses it faithfully EVERY day and I'm trying too. Having it at home is VERY convenient!

laurena
05-10-2007, 08:44 AM
I love our Octane, too. I'd watch for sales and second hand. My cousin picked up a refurbished one on Ebay.

I used it a lot initially when my DC's napped at the same time, but now I find it difficult to find the time to get on it. A gym membership at a place that has babysitting would be better IMHO.

matthewsmom
05-10-2007, 02:13 PM
It does have the pre-programmed modes. It is the same ones that they have at the gym. But I think the other brands also have the pre-programmed modes. I bought the precor b/c I was familiar with it and have used it at the gyms. I loved it at that time and when I do use it I still love it.