PDA

View Full Version : *Update* Need some BTDT advice and a little BBB mojo

casey0729
05-08-2007, 09:03 PM
I ended up doing the 3 hour test this past Wednesday and they just informed me this afternoon that I failed ... again. I failed 2 parts. So ... I have an appointment on Wednesday to talk about monitoring my glucose and stuff. Until then, I have to not eat refined sugar... I will just put my rhubarb pie in the freezer until after the baby is born!

Thanks for all the advice and support. I guess I just didn't think that it could happen because it didn't happen with the first and I weighed less with this one than I did for the first. I don't know. Oh well, I am sure it's manageable.

Well, I found today that I "flunked" my glucose test and have to do the 3 hour nightmare. This didn't happen with DS.

Anyone done this test? Is it as bad as it seems with all the fasting? I scored a 160 on my regular test. I talked with the nurse today asking if my score was that high and if I did actually have GD wouldn't I feel bad? I know I didn't have to fast with this test and she mentioned that if I ate any sugars or whatever before the test then it could have kicked my score up. Nice thing to tell me since I had a muffin with raisins in it about 45 minutes before they made me drink that god awful orange crap.

Did anyone develop gestational diabetes? Should I be overly concerned about this?

We're having a DD by the way!!!

KC

http://b2.lilypie.com/AWLtm5.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev197prs__.png

casey0729
05-08-2007, 09:03 PM
I ended up doing the 3 hour test this past Wednesday and they just informed me this afternoon that I failed ... again. I failed 2 parts. So ... I have an appointment on Wednesday to talk about monitoring my glucose and stuff. Until then, I have to not eat refined sugar... I will just put my rhubarb pie in the freezer until after the baby is born!

Thanks for all the advice and support. I guess I just didn't think that it could happen because it didn't happen with the first and I weighed less with this one than I did for the first. I don't know. Oh well, I am sure it's manageable.

Well, I found today that I "flunked" my glucose test and have to do the 3 hour nightmare. This didn't happen with DS.

Anyone done this test? Is it as bad as it seems with all the fasting? I scored a 160 on my regular test. I talked with the nurse today asking if my score was that high and if I did actually have GD wouldn't I feel bad? I know I didn't have to fast with this test and she mentioned that if I ate any sugars or whatever before the test then it could have kicked my score up. Nice thing to tell me since I had a muffin with raisins in it about 45 minutes before they made me drink that god awful orange crap.

Did anyone develop gestational diabetes? Should I be overly concerned about this?

We're having a DD by the way!!!

KC

wendmatt
05-08-2007, 09:12 PM
I had to do the 3 hr test and it was fine, no diabetes. It was just boring having to sit around. If you do it first thing in the morning the fasting isn't too bad. GOod luck, I'm sure you'll be fine.

wendmatt
05-08-2007, 09:12 PM
I had to do the 3 hr test and it was fine, no diabetes. It was just boring having to sit around. If you do it first thing in the morning the fasting isn't too bad. GOod luck, I'm sure you'll be fine.

SnuggleBuggles
05-08-2007, 09:28 PM
I'd ask to have them redo the 1hr test since you ate food that could have influenced the score. I would try to avoid that 3 hour test and see what would happen if you try the 2nd time. It's little lost on either your part or their's. Just what I would try 1st. :)

ETA few things...

with a score of 160 I would start considering the possibility of a + result on a 3hr test. I *think* the range is up to 140 for normal. This is a decent link that explains all the numbers and has some helpful info. http://pregnancychildbirth.suite101.com/article.cfm/tests_for_gestational_diabetes

You can ask about the different ways they can do the 1hr test (what you can/ can't eat). The handbook my CNM's gave me includes info on choosing btw eating a special meal or drinking the orange drink. Could be worth asking about.

Good luck!!
Beth

SnuggleBuggles
05-08-2007, 09:28 PM
I'd ask to have them redo the 1hr test since you ate food that could have influenced the score. I would try to avoid that 3 hour test and see what would happen if you try the 2nd time. It's little lost on either your part or their's. Just what I would try 1st. :)

ETA few things...

with a score of 160 I would start considering the possibility of a + result on a 3hr test. I *think* the range is up to 140 for normal. This is a decent link that explains all the numbers and has some helpful info. http://pregnancychildbirth.suite101.com/article.cfm/tests_for_gestational_diabetes

You can ask about the different ways they can do the 1hr test (what you can/ can't eat). The handbook my CNM's gave me includes info on choosing btw eating a special meal or drinking the orange drink. Could be worth asking about.

Good luck!!
Beth

JanaMc
05-08-2007, 09:37 PM
I took the 3 hour test during my second pregnancy. It wasn't that bad. I took a book and read; with a 2 year old at home I finally had some uninterrupted time to read. I passed the second test.

Jana
DS Samuel 6/04
DS Jack 8/06

JanaMc
05-08-2007, 09:37 PM
I took the 3 hour test during my second pregnancy. It wasn't that bad. I took a book and read; with a 2 year old at home I finally had some uninterrupted time to read. I passed the second test.

Jana
DS Samuel 6/04
DS Jack 8/06

janeybwild
05-08-2007, 09:44 PM
The 3 hour test wasn't so bad, just bring a book :) Not sure what you heard that would make it a "nightmare" for you, but its just 3 blood draws over a 3 hour window. I developed GD during my last 2 pregnancies; it was very managable. I didn't feel bad either time despite failing the glucose tests. The test is catching it early, before you feel really bad. Once I started on insulin and diet, I definilty felt better, with more energy. One of those things where I dind't know how bad I felt until I felt better IYKWIM. Good luck.

janeybwild
05-08-2007, 09:44 PM
The 3 hour test wasn't so bad, just bring a book :) Not sure what you heard that would make it a "nightmare" for you, but its just 3 blood draws over a 3 hour window. I developed GD during my last 2 pregnancies; it was very managable. I didn't feel bad either time despite failing the glucose tests. The test is catching it early, before you feel really bad. Once I started on insulin and diet, I definilty felt better, with more energy. One of those things where I dind't know how bad I felt until I felt better IYKWIM. Good luck.

fortato
05-08-2007, 10:06 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!! A baby girl! So wonderful!

Blame that muffin.

They don't tell you to fast the night before and half the time we flunk it because we ate ice cream or something that night.
( I know, that's what did me in.)

I wouldn't be concerned until after you get your test results back.
I'm sure you're fine. Just don't eat anything before the test.

Bring something to do- I brought my Nintendo DS. Sudoku kept me busy- until I almost passed out from the poor needle work of the Phleb. Tech.
No matter what happens...try not to throw up. You'll have to do it all over again.

fortato
05-08-2007, 10:06 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!! A baby girl! So wonderful!

Blame that muffin.

They don't tell you to fast the night before and half the time we flunk it because we ate ice cream or something that night.
( I know, that's what did me in.)

I wouldn't be concerned until after you get your test results back.
I'm sure you're fine. Just don't eat anything before the test.

Bring something to do- I brought my Nintendo DS. Sudoku kept me busy- until I almost passed out from the poor needle work of the Phleb. Tech.
No matter what happens...try not to throw up. You'll have to do it all over again.

MaiseyDog
05-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Just wanted to let you know that I'm right there with you. I go for my 3 hour test tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. My MD just said nothing after midnight and the testing starts at 7 AM. Are others having to fast longer (nervous I'll fail now that I've already had my normal bedtime snack)

Margaret

MaiseyDog
05-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Just wanted to let you know that I'm right there with you. I go for my 3 hour test tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. My MD just said nothing after midnight and the testing starts at 7 AM. Are others having to fast longer (nervous I'll fail now that I've already had my normal bedtime snack)

Margaret

haraldsworth
05-08-2007, 11:02 PM
I would avoid sweets and fruit for 24 hours before the test. It might help.

Sarah

haraldsworth
05-08-2007, 11:02 PM
I would avoid sweets and fruit for 24 hours before the test. It might help.

Sarah

kransden
05-09-2007, 06:48 AM
I had GD. It is no big deal unless you let it be. I took shots, watched what I ate and everything was fine. For my baby shower, I just had a bigger dose of insulin. The shots didn't hurt. You inject in your stomach area. It went away within in two days of giving birth.

So don't try to trick your test. It is better to know early you might have GD then develope complications later on.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

kransden
05-09-2007, 06:48 AM
I had GD. It is no big deal unless you let it be. I took shots, watched what I ate and everything was fine. For my baby shower, I just had a bigger dose of insulin. The shots didn't hurt. You inject in your stomach area. It went away within in two days of giving birth.

So don't try to trick your test. It is better to know early you might have GD then develope complications later on.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

o_mom
05-09-2007, 06:58 AM
Many people fail the one hour and pass no problem with the 3 hr. The muffin probably didn't help. I have always had whole wheat toast with peanut butter before to get some protein to help keep the sugar spike down.

For the 3 hour you have to be fasting. If you don't normally eat sweets or sugar, you may want to look into eating more carbs in the few days before the test. If your body is not used to it, it will not have enough insulin to counteract the sugar in the drink.

Here are some references:

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gttDiet.html

http://www.webmd.com/baby/Oral-Glucose-Tolerance-Test

http://healthresources.caremark.com/topic/topic100586528

o_mom
05-09-2007, 06:58 AM
Many people fail the one hour and pass no problem with the 3 hr. The muffin probably didn't help. I have always had whole wheat toast with peanut butter before to get some protein to help keep the sugar spike down.

For the 3 hour you have to be fasting. If you don't normally eat sweets or sugar, you may want to look into eating more carbs in the few days before the test. If your body is not used to it, it will not have enough insulin to counteract the sugar in the drink.

Here are some references:

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gttDiet.html

http://www.webmd.com/baby/Oral-Glucose-Tolerance-Test

http://healthresources.caremark.com/topic/topic100586528

denna
05-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Congrats KC on the baby girl! That is wonderful news.

About the test I would ask for a redo. You should be able to take the test again and try not to eat anything sweet up to 2 hours before the test (thats what they told me). And if you lab has a cabinet of the stuff ask for the clear kind, it tastes just like 7-Up.

Good Luck,

denna
05-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Congrats KC on the baby girl! That is wonderful news.

About the test I would ask for a redo. You should be able to take the test again and try not to eat anything sweet up to 2 hours before the test (thats what they told me). And if you lab has a cabinet of the stuff ask for the clear kind, it tastes just like 7-Up.

Good Luck,

DrSally
05-09-2007, 01:00 PM
The 3 hour will be more conclusive. I wouldn't worry until you find out the results. I did it and had a high fasting number (142, 140 is the cut off I think), but you also need to have failed 2 other parts of the test (sorry I'm not being precise) to have GD. My ob asked if I had eaten a big dinner--well, yes, a big plate of pasta and right before the cut off for fasting. He just told me to cut back on the carbs and increase the protein, and I was fine and DS was fine. Hope the test turns out no GD for you!

DrSally
05-09-2007, 01:00 PM
The 3 hour will be more conclusive. I wouldn't worry until you find out the results. I did it and had a high fasting number (142, 140 is the cut off I think), but you also need to have failed 2 other parts of the test (sorry I'm not being precise) to have GD. My ob asked if I had eaten a big dinner--well, yes, a big plate of pasta and right before the cut off for fasting. He just told me to cut back on the carbs and increase the protein, and I was fine and DS was fine. Hope the test turns out no GD for you!

kellij
05-09-2007, 01:11 PM
I had GD with my son and not with my daughter, who I had 17 months after my son. I've heard of some people taking little naps in their car between the hours. Just bring an alarm if you do that. With my son I was able just to exercise (walk) daily and eat more protein/less carbs and controlled my blood sugar level that way. The good thing is that I didn't gain much weight during the second half of the pregnancy as a result.

The concerns with GD are that you could have a higher weight baby and they are concerned that their shoulders may be thicker than the average baby, which can lead to the neccessity of a c-section. Also, there was no way with GD my dr. was going to let me go over my due date before induction. Additionally, your child has a greater risk for developing diabetes and you are more likely to develop it later too. Doesn't mean you will, just more likely. But cross that bridge when you come to it.

kellij
05-09-2007, 01:11 PM
I had GD with my son and not with my daughter, who I had 17 months after my son. I've heard of some people taking little naps in their car between the hours. Just bring an alarm if you do that. With my son I was able just to exercise (walk) daily and eat more protein/less carbs and controlled my blood sugar level that way. The good thing is that I didn't gain much weight during the second half of the pregnancy as a result.

The concerns with GD are that you could have a higher weight baby and they are concerned that their shoulders may be thicker than the average baby, which can lead to the neccessity of a c-section. Also, there was no way with GD my dr. was going to let me go over my due date before induction. Additionally, your child has a greater risk for developing diabetes and you are more likely to develop it later too. Doesn't mean you will, just more likely. But cross that bridge when you come to it.

MaiseyDog
05-09-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm back from my test. It really wasn't bad. A little boring, but I took a nap and read a book. The thing I wasn't prepared for is I had to give a urine sample with each blood draw to check for glucose spilling in the urine. By the last check, I wasn't sure if I had any urine left in me. Also, all together the test took a little over 4 hours. At my lab, they have you wait to drink the cola until after they have your fasting test results back.

I don't know how I did officially, but I checked with my meter as we went along. Hopefully, my meter will correlate with the lab and if that's the case, then I think I passed. Although, not by much. My MD said that if it was negative, I would still have to recheck at 28 weeks. Because as pregnancy progresses irregularities with sugar tend to get worse.

Also, as soon as your test is over, make sure you eat. I had a bad low about an hour after the test (I was trying to make it to lunch to eat).

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know it wasn't too bad.

Margaret

MaiseyDog
05-09-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm back from my test. It really wasn't bad. A little boring, but I took a nap and read a book. The thing I wasn't prepared for is I had to give a urine sample with each blood draw to check for glucose spilling in the urine. By the last check, I wasn't sure if I had any urine left in me. Also, all together the test took a little over 4 hours. At my lab, they have you wait to drink the cola until after they have your fasting test results back.

I don't know how I did officially, but I checked with my meter as we went along. Hopefully, my meter will correlate with the lab and if that's the case, then I think I passed. Although, not by much. My MD said that if it was negative, I would still have to recheck at 28 weeks. Because as pregnancy progresses irregularities with sugar tend to get worse.

Also, as soon as your test is over, make sure you eat. I had a bad low about an hour after the test (I was trying to make it to lunch to eat).

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know it wasn't too bad.

Margaret

casey0729
05-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks for all the input ladies, I knew I would get some great info here!

I ate at around 7:30 (the muffin I had contained raisins, carrot, apple, coconut, and nuts and I had a cup of tea) and drank the stuff at around 8:30 so I am hoping that it was all correlated. Since I just took the test on Monday the ob nurse suggested I do the test next week. Which is fine with me because I have my 30 week visit this Friday with my ob and I plan on talking to her about a "redo" if possible.

I have been going to a new lab for all my work because my insurance has now signed up with the Walmart of labs (LabCorp) and if the clinic you go to uses a different lab company - which mine does - you have to pay for it yourself if you continue to use it. Which is stupid since my clinic is in my network. Anyway, when I was there on Monday they told me I didn't have to go back to the waiting room, they put me in a little room with a comfy chair and a TV!! So, I doubt the waiting will be that bad, I am just concerned about the not eating for that long. I was told to eat immediately after.

They only had orange left when I was there. I have to check to see if I have to make an appointment for the 3 hour one so maybe I'll ask them to please have the clear one. That would be so much nicer!!

I am glad the pps (sorry, I hit reply before I rechecked your name) test came out negative!!

I'll keep you updated. Thanks again for all the replies. I feel a little more comfortable now.

KC

casey0729
05-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks for all the input ladies, I knew I would get some great info here!

I ate at around 7:30 (the muffin I had contained raisins, carrot, apple, coconut, and nuts and I had a cup of tea) and drank the stuff at around 8:30 so I am hoping that it was all correlated. Since I just took the test on Monday the ob nurse suggested I do the test next week. Which is fine with me because I have my 30 week visit this Friday with my ob and I plan on talking to her about a "redo" if possible.

I have been going to a new lab for all my work because my insurance has now signed up with the Walmart of labs (LabCorp) and if the clinic you go to uses a different lab company - which mine does - you have to pay for it yourself if you continue to use it. Which is stupid since my clinic is in my network. Anyway, when I was there on Monday they told me I didn't have to go back to the waiting room, they put me in a little room with a comfy chair and a TV!! So, I doubt the waiting will be that bad, I am just concerned about the not eating for that long. I was told to eat immediately after.

They only had orange left when I was there. I have to check to see if I have to make an appointment for the 3 hour one so maybe I'll ask them to please have the clear one. That would be so much nicer!!

I am glad the pps (sorry, I hit reply before I rechecked your name) test came out negative!!

I'll keep you updated. Thanks again for all the replies. I feel a little more comfortable now.

KC

jodynyc
05-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Hi,

I failed my 1 hr test by 4 points (144) so i had to do the 3 hour. i also had to go to a special lab co. that my insurance uses. i was not allowed to leave the lab or drink any water during the 3 hours, so i got a little lightheaded and ended up needing to close my eyes and rest (fortunately the place was empty, so i didn't care about anyone seeing me sleep in the waiting room!) i passed the 3 hour. i think that this is relatively common (failing the 1 hour, passing the 3 hour), so i wouldn't worry too much til you get the 3 hour results back. i def. think that the muffin had something to do with it, though, so if you can redo the 1 hour, try to do that instead of going thru the 3 hour. and if you do go thru with the 3 hour, def. bring a protein-rich snack to eat immediately after you're done!

good luck!