PDA

View Full Version : What does this mean?

hillview
05-09-2007, 08:05 AM
DS is 22 months old. He just went to the bathroom and pointed to the toilet. My mom took his pants down and diaper off and put him on the toilet. He started to cry. She came to get me (mid conference call) and he had peed on the carpet and started to poop. Is he ready to toilet train or just having fun? Do I get a potty? I am not at all encouraging him to potty train (whenever he is ready etc). Thoughts?
TIA!
/hillary

hillview
05-09-2007, 08:05 AM
DS is 22 months old. He just went to the bathroom and pointed to the toilet. My mom took his pants down and diaper off and put him on the toilet. He started to cry. She came to get me (mid conference call) and he had peed on the carpet and started to poop. Is he ready to toilet train or just having fun? Do I get a potty? I am not at all encouraging him to potty train (whenever he is ready etc). Thoughts?
TIA!
/hillary

scoop22
05-09-2007, 08:24 AM
ds points to the potty. he tells me when he poo's! so we thought we would try and put him on the potty. he cried. he didn't have the same reachtion as your ds but he was scared of it. it must feel like they are falling in. i just held him real tight.. of course he didn't go. he has now tried to get on himself. we did get his potty out. he will sit on it for a brief moment if i am going but nothing more than that.

i don't know what else to tell you. i am not pressuring but i am offering him the chance. i hope to encourage it more later.

i hope you get some answers
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

scoop22
05-09-2007, 08:24 AM
ds points to the potty. he tells me when he poo's! so we thought we would try and put him on the potty. he cried. he didn't have the same reachtion as your ds but he was scared of it. it must feel like they are falling in. i just held him real tight.. of course he didn't go. he has now tried to get on himself. we did get his potty out. he will sit on it for a brief moment if i am going but nothing more than that.

i don't know what else to tell you. i am not pressuring but i am offering him the chance. i hope to encourage it more later.

i hope you get some answers

jgriffin
05-09-2007, 08:37 AM
No BTDT experience yet, but we have had a potty in E's bathroom for a couple of months now. He knows what it is and what it's for, and occasionaly he wants to sit on it. I figured it was best to have the potty out, so that when he does want to use it, or even pretend to use it, it's ready for him. Sometimes I'll ask him if he wants to use the potty and then follow his lead. But this is the extent to which we've pushed potty training.

GL!

Jen

jgriffin
05-09-2007, 08:37 AM
No BTDT experience yet, but we have had a potty in E's bathroom for a couple of months now. He knows what it is and what it's for, and occasionaly he wants to sit on it. I figured it was best to have the potty out, so that when he does want to use it, or even pretend to use it, it's ready for him. Sometimes I'll ask him if he wants to use the potty and then follow his lead. But this is the extent to which we've pushed potty training.

GL!

Jen

KBecks
05-09-2007, 09:18 AM
I think it means he is curious. And that he knows what the potty is for.

However, I don't think he is ready to potty train at all. The average for boys is 3 years, so personally, I'd wait until maybe 30 months or so before you really start looking at those cues and clues.

I'll add that for Alek, we had a potty chair around and we have a stool. Alek (about 30 months) likes to sit on the potty, but he's playing, which is OK. I think it's still going to be a while for us.

KBecks
05-09-2007, 09:18 AM
I think it means he is curious. And that he knows what the potty is for.

However, I don't think he is ready to potty train at all. The average for boys is 3 years, so personally, I'd wait until maybe 30 months or so before you really start looking at those cues and clues.

I'll add that for Alek, we had a potty chair around and we have a stool. Alek (about 30 months) likes to sit on the potty, but he's playing, which is OK. I think it's still going to be a while for us.

JustMe
05-09-2007, 09:23 AM
IMHO there is no harm in offering him a chance with a potty, if you dont put any pressure on him. It is really young for a boy, but some boys train really young. My dd became interested at around 18 months. I bought her a cheap potty at the dollar store (only because I happened to be in there and see them) and someone also happened to give me the "Once upon a potty" video. She loved to sit on her cheap little potty and watch the video...sometimes with a diaper, sometimes without. By 26 months, she had fully trained herself and I did nothing buy stay out of it.

Robyn

JustMe
05-09-2007, 09:23 AM
IMHO there is no harm in offering him a chance with a potty, if you dont put any pressure on him. It is really young for a boy, but some boys train really young. My dd became interested at around 18 months. I bought her a cheap potty at the dollar store (only because I happened to be in there and see them) and someone also happened to give me the "Once upon a potty" video. She loved to sit on her cheap little potty and watch the video...sometimes with a diaper, sometimes without. By 26 months, she had fully trained herself and I did nothing buy stay out of it.

Robyn

brittone2
05-09-2007, 10:21 AM
No harm in having a little potty available and keeping things low key. I picked up a little potty for DS when he was just under 2 I think, and within a few days he was going on it like 8x a day all on his own.

However, the novelty waned after a few weeks, and he wanted NOTHING to do with the potty. So we followed his lead. About 2 months later I think he started using it again.

He has been pee trained since just over 2, including nights. He's 3 and we're still working on consistently pooping in the potty (has had it down before a few times and then had setbacks due to illness, etc.)

I've talked to a lot of parents that experienced their kids being really interested when it was novel, and then their interest dropped off once it wasn't new. So, I say be prepared for that possibility, and keep it low key like you are doing.

I don't think there's any harm in having a potty available.

brittone2
05-09-2007, 10:21 AM
No harm in having a little potty available and keeping things low key. I picked up a little potty for DS when he was just under 2 I think, and within a few days he was going on it like 8x a day all on his own.

However, the novelty waned after a few weeks, and he wanted NOTHING to do with the potty. So we followed his lead. About 2 months later I think he started using it again.

He has been pee trained since just over 2, including nights. He's 3 and we're still working on consistently pooping in the potty (has had it down before a few times and then had setbacks due to illness, etc.)

I've talked to a lot of parents that experienced their kids being really interested when it was novel, and then their interest dropped off once it wasn't new. So, I say be prepared for that possibility, and keep it low key like you are doing.

I don't think there's any harm in having a potty available.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
05-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Avi was also very interested when he was about 18 months and then lost interest very quickly. We got him a small potty that has been in the bathroom, and every so often he wants to sit on it and pretend to go(wearing a diaper). We are not pushing him, he is barely 2 1/2 and when he is ready he will use the toilet. As i have read before, you do not hear of kids going to college wearing a diaper, so it will happen eventually.

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061128/V76Q.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/wYA-m8/.png[/img][/url]

Aunt to sweet baby boy
05-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Avi was also very interested when he was about 18 months and then lost interest very quickly. We got him a small potty that has been in the bathroom, and every so often he wants to sit on it and pretend to go(wearing a diaper). We are not pushing him, he is barely 2 1/2 and when he is ready he will use the toilet. As i have read before, you do not hear of kids going to college wearing a diaper, so it will happen eventually.

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061128/V76Q.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/wYA-m8/.png[/img][/url]

JBaxter
05-09-2007, 11:04 AM
I think its a great sign. My oldest started what we called potty orientation at about 18 months and was completely diaper free by 26 months. My 2nd just before 2 started noticing /pointing and trying to use the potty and was out of diapers by 28months and Nathan was 30 months but still wore a diaper at night for another 2 months after that.

I would REALLY encourage without pushing. Offer to sit him in the morning before bath and really anytime you go to the bathroom. We did do an M&M for sucesses and none of my boys were difficult to train.
IMO ( and its only my oppinion) there is a short period of time that children start to realize they are going and if you can encourage them at that time they potty train easier. It seems to be that way in our family anyway. My niece started to be interested at about 21 months and was 90% out of diapers within a month.

I would go get potty for each floor of your house. We kept one in the living room and the bathroom and did naked time during the day.aAll of mine seemed to remember they had to pee much easier if they were bare.

Good luck and I would DEFINATELY give it a try you never know you may get lucky and be done with diapers this summer!!!!!

JBaxter
05-09-2007, 11:04 AM
I think its a great sign. My oldest started what we called potty orientation at about 18 months and was completely diaper free by 26 months. My 2nd just before 2 started noticing /pointing and trying to use the potty and was out of diapers by 28months and Nathan was 30 months but still wore a diaper at night for another 2 months after that.

I would REALLY encourage without pushing. Offer to sit him in the morning before bath and really anytime you go to the bathroom. We did do an M&M for sucesses and none of my boys were difficult to train.
IMO ( and its only my oppinion) there is a short period of time that children start to realize they are going and if you can encourage them at that time they potty train easier. It seems to be that way in our family anyway. My niece started to be interested at about 21 months and was 90% out of diapers within a month.

I would go get potty for each floor of your house. We kept one in the living room and the bathroom and did naked time during the day.aAll of mine seemed to remember they had to pee much easier if they were bare.

Good luck and I would DEFINATELY give it a try you never know you may get lucky and be done with diapers this summer!!!!!

brittone2
05-09-2007, 11:26 AM
ITA on the naked time. That was a big help. It took DS a while to transition to being able to go on the potty while naked to being able to push his own pants down, etc. If they are under 2 (and even some kids over 2), the skills for removing or pushing down clothes may not be there for a while, so true independence can take a bit.

brittone2
05-09-2007, 11:26 AM
ITA on the naked time. That was a big help. It took DS a while to transition to being able to go on the potty while naked to being able to push his own pants down, etc. If they are under 2 (and even some kids over 2), the skills for removing or pushing down clothes may not be there for a while, so true independence can take a bit.

scoop22
05-09-2007, 02:18 PM
that is a good idea about being bare. i might give this a try. how do you deal with them going on the floor. i can just see it now. thanks for the advice.. i will put this to memory.

scoop22
05-09-2007, 02:18 PM
that is a good idea about being bare. i might give this a try. how do you deal with them going on the floor. i can just see it now. thanks for the advice.. i will put this to memory.

kellij
05-09-2007, 03:30 PM
My son started talking about going potty around that time too. We'd ask him if he wanted to go and he did, so he did. He even told me he needed to poop and he did that. Then he wasn't interested for a couple of months and then he got interested again. One thing I've noticed is when we ask him if he needs to tinkle if he says "yes" and we put him on the potty, you can feel him flexing his bladder muscle, or at least his stomach. So I definitely think he knows how to control it. When he was interested in the potty at first, I don't know if he could control it or not, and he said he needed to potty. He didn't go, but I let him run around without pants for a few minutes and we ended up with a big ole pile of poop on the floor, NOT something I would like to repeat. Since then I've let him run around pantless and he has only gone in or on the potty. (So since I've known he can kind of control it). He's even run in there without me, told me about it afterward, and dumped it in the toilet and flushed before I could do anything about it. So he was doing all that and I thought it was going to be the best potty training experience because I didn't have to do anything at all. But now he's not interested again. He's 28 months, so I'm not pushing him at all. My plan is to wait until this summer and let him run around without clothes.

The main thing I've learned so far is not to get one of those toilets that plays music. I got that, thinking it was really cute and at first it was only a toy. We finally had to put it outside until he got interested in it as a potty. But I think it's probably too confusing to be that toy-like.

kellij
05-09-2007, 03:30 PM
My son started talking about going potty around that time too. We'd ask him if he wanted to go and he did, so he did. He even told me he needed to poop and he did that. Then he wasn't interested for a couple of months and then he got interested again. One thing I've noticed is when we ask him if he needs to tinkle if he says "yes" and we put him on the potty, you can feel him flexing his bladder muscle, or at least his stomach. So I definitely think he knows how to control it. When he was interested in the potty at first, I don't know if he could control it or not, and he said he needed to potty. He didn't go, but I let him run around without pants for a few minutes and we ended up with a big ole pile of poop on the floor, NOT something I would like to repeat. Since then I've let him run around pantless and he has only gone in or on the potty. (So since I've known he can kind of control it). He's even run in there without me, told me about it afterward, and dumped it in the toilet and flushed before I could do anything about it. So he was doing all that and I thought it was going to be the best potty training experience because I didn't have to do anything at all. But now he's not interested again. He's 28 months, so I'm not pushing him at all. My plan is to wait until this summer and let him run around without clothes.

The main thing I've learned so far is not to get one of those toilets that plays music. I got that, thinking it was really cute and at first it was only a toy. We finally had to put it outside until he got interested in it as a potty. But I think it's probably too confusing to be that toy-like.