PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum for hard wood

mommabear
05-09-2007, 08:34 AM
I have mostly tile and hard wood (engineered) in my house. We only have carpet in bedrooms. I am looking for a vacuum to do the hard floors. I either want one that is good for carpet as well or I think I would actually prefer a lightweight stick vacuum for the hard floors. I bought one but the filter clogs and I lose suction about half way through. So do any of you have a great vacuum?
Thanks

mommabear
05-09-2007, 08:34 AM
I have mostly tile and hard wood (engineered) in my house. We only have carpet in bedrooms. I am looking for a vacuum to do the hard floors. I either want one that is good for carpet as well or I think I would actually prefer a lightweight stick vacuum for the hard floors. I bought one but the filter clogs and I lose suction about half way through. So do any of you have a great vacuum?
Thanks

roysmom
05-09-2007, 08:55 AM
We have all hardwood, engineered hardwood and tile in our house. I have bought 3 different vacuums; stick, vacuum/mop, and regular upright. All 3 were crap. We finally paid a good bit more and got the Hoover Wind Tunnel 2 something or other. IT IS AWESOME!!!! I can't say that enough. It vacuums our rugs and hardwood, has awesome attachments, HEPA Filter that self cleans every 6 seconds and never has to be replaced and it is bagless. The suction on it is great. My husband jokingly said the first time he used it, it darn near sucked all the food out of the refrigerator when he got close. No joke, it is a great vacuum. We got it at Sears, but you can find them elsewhere. Hope this helps.

roysmom
05-09-2007, 08:55 AM
We have all hardwood, engineered hardwood and tile in our house. I have bought 3 different vacuums; stick, vacuum/mop, and regular upright. All 3 were crap. We finally paid a good bit more and got the Hoover Wind Tunnel 2 something or other. IT IS AWESOME!!!! I can't say that enough. It vacuums our rugs and hardwood, has awesome attachments, HEPA Filter that self cleans every 6 seconds and never has to be replaced and it is bagless. The suction on it is great. My husband jokingly said the first time he used it, it darn near sucked all the food out of the refrigerator when he got close. No joke, it is a great vacuum. We got it at Sears, but you can find them elsewhere. Hope this helps.

BillK
05-09-2007, 09:33 AM
We have a Dyson DC14 from Costco and LOVE it - we are in the middle of a remodel project now that includes new hardwood floors (we have carpet/tile now) - but what I've read has been positive about the Dyson on hardwood. I know for carpet it's fantastic.

BillK
05-09-2007, 09:33 AM
We have a Dyson DC14 from Costco and LOVE it - we are in the middle of a remodel project now that includes new hardwood floors (we have carpet/tile now) - but what I've read has been positive about the Dyson on hardwood. I know for carpet it's fantastic.

Drag0nflygirl
05-09-2007, 10:13 AM
I second the wind tunnel. Mine is the self propelled with the bag - I didn't think I'd like bagless. It has a switch that turns the brush off when you're doing hardwoods. Plus it came with a little mini vac attachment that makes cleaning my sofa easier.

Consumer reports top picks are 1) Kenmore (Sears) Progressive with Direct Drive #35922 for $300. It got an "excellent" rating for both carpeted and bare floors. 2) Hoover Windtunnel 2 # U8311-900 for $250 - again "excellent" on both counts. 3)Kenmore (Sears)Progressive with Direct Drive # 36932 for $300 - which actually did better on bare floors than carpet. 4) Eureka Boss Smart Vac Ultra 4870 for a mere $150! Excellent on both carpet and floors.
The first Dyson (not to diss them - lots of people rave about them) is #16 and got an excellent for bare floors but just a good for carpet.

O.K. I'll stop waving my consumer reports geek flag now.

HTH,

Nancy

Drag0nflygirl
05-09-2007, 10:13 AM
I second the wind tunnel. Mine is the self propelled with the bag - I didn't think I'd like bagless. It has a switch that turns the brush off when you're doing hardwoods. Plus it came with a little mini vac attachment that makes cleaning my sofa easier.

Consumer reports top picks are 1) Kenmore (Sears) Progressive with Direct Drive #35922 for $300. It got an "excellent" rating for both carpeted and bare floors. 2) Hoover Windtunnel 2 # U8311-900 for $250 - again "excellent" on both counts. 3)Kenmore (Sears)Progressive with Direct Drive # 36932 for $300 - which actually did better on bare floors than carpet. 4) Eureka Boss Smart Vac Ultra 4870 for a mere $150! Excellent on both carpet and floors.
The first Dyson (not to diss them - lots of people rave about them) is #16 and got an excellent for bare floors but just a good for carpet.

O.K. I'll stop waving my consumer reports geek flag now.

HTH,

Nancy

SummerBaby
05-09-2007, 10:50 AM
I have the Wind Tunnel with bag too and it does work great on wood floors. My only complaint is that it's very very heavy and very very loud.

Val
DD 2.5 years old
another summer baby coming in 2007!

SummerBaby
05-09-2007, 10:50 AM
I have the Wind Tunnel with bag too and it does work great on wood floors. My only complaint is that it's very very heavy and very very loud.

Val
DD 2.5 years old
another summer baby coming in 2007!

DrSally
05-09-2007, 12:44 PM
I have #4 based on CR's suggestions. It's pretty good, but sometimes harder to push. I got a mini eureka boss for downstairs hardwood/small rugs. I haven't used it yet though, so can't report. From what I've gleaned from a prev thread, it's really hard to find a stick vac that lasts (if it's rechargable), and they also tend to blow the debris around rather than suck it up. The boss mini is sort of inbetween a stick and full size, but again, I can't report on it yet.

DrSally
05-09-2007, 12:44 PM
I have #4 based on CR's suggestions. It's pretty good, but sometimes harder to push. I got a mini eureka boss for downstairs hardwood/small rugs. I haven't used it yet though, so can't report. From what I've gleaned from a prev thread, it's really hard to find a stick vac that lasts (if it's rechargable), and they also tend to blow the debris around rather than suck it up. The boss mini is sort of inbetween a stick and full size, but again, I can't report on it yet.

mommabear
05-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Hav you used your new vac yet? What do you think?
Thanks

DrSally
05-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Haha, I'm ashamed to say no. We were away for the weekend and I was consumed with packing and getting things ready. I will let you know when I do. I've heard it's a screamer, so we'll see.