PDA

View Full Version : Burlington, VT area...anyone familiar with the area?

Clarity
05-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Dh is applying for a position at UVM and I noticed the New England meetup post so I thought I'd ask if anyone was from the area. So far my impressions are limited. Postives: blue state. Negatives: weather. That's all I have so far......
Oh, and impressions of UVM are welcome as well. Thanks so much!
Amy

Clarity
05-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Dh is applying for a position at UVM and I noticed the New England meetup post so I thought I'd ask if anyone was from the area. So far my impressions are limited. Postives: blue state. Negatives: weather. That's all I have so far......
Oh, and impressions of UVM are welcome as well. Thanks so much!
Amy

ellies mom
05-09-2007, 12:07 PM
I grew up in Essex Jct. If I could talk my husband into it, I'd move back in a heartbeat. You've hit the big negative, the weather.

I love the politics. I love how they just do what they think is best regardless of party. I wouldn't say that the state is entirely blue (Burlington area is for sure) but it is definitely independent.

Burlington is one of my favorite places. It is a really good city for walking. There is a lot to see and a lot to do. The Church Street area is really nice. It feels like a miniature big city. You can find most of what you would want there.

I don't know specifically about Burlington's schools but the schools in Vermont tend to be excellent all around. They really put a big emphasis on education there.

It gets pretty darn rural in parts of Vermont. Outside of the Burlington area, it starts to get harder to find things you want. Like say a Starbucks and in some places a latte period, like my Uncles' neck of the wood (The northeast kingdom, an area not a town).

Anyhow, I know this is all vague but I really love it there.

ellies mom
05-09-2007, 12:07 PM
I grew up in Essex Jct. If I could talk my husband into it, I'd move back in a heartbeat. You've hit the big negative, the weather.

I love the politics. I love how they just do what they think is best regardless of party. I wouldn't say that the state is entirely blue (Burlington area is for sure) but it is definitely independent.

Burlington is one of my favorite places. It is a really good city for walking. There is a lot to see and a lot to do. The Church Street area is really nice. It feels like a miniature big city. You can find most of what you would want there.

I don't know specifically about Burlington's schools but the schools in Vermont tend to be excellent all around. They really put a big emphasis on education there.

It gets pretty darn rural in parts of Vermont. Outside of the Burlington area, it starts to get harder to find things you want. Like say a Starbucks and in some places a latte period, like my Uncles' neck of the wood (The northeast kingdom, an area not a town).

Anyhow, I know this is all vague but I really love it there.

Clarity
05-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the info...I'm a little leary of the weather, but otherwise it sounds as if this could be a great thing. We live in one of the more overcast areas of the country so we'd thought to find somewhere with a good bit more regular sunshine. I'm not sure VT fits the bill, but the opportunity for DH may be more than we can resist.

octmom
05-10-2007, 03:03 PM
I went to a conference there several years ago during the summer. I really liked Burlington, but it was summertime. ;) I'm not sure that I could handle the winters, but I suppose I would like it more if I was into winter sports. I remember a great pedestrian mall, the beautiful lake, and just a generally good vibe, IYKWIM.

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

ellies mom
05-10-2007, 05:51 PM
I live in the Pacific Northwest now. And even though Vermont gets snow in the winter, they get a lot more sun than I get now. If you are are in the PNW also, I think you will be surprised just how much you like Burlington. There is a similar feel to the two places.

zoestargrove
05-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Even though you are up North, there is the lake effect. I'm not minimizing the winter, but to my surprise living a little south in central Masschusetts - we usually have more colder days than Burlington.

I'd love to live in Burlington. It is beautiful! The mountains, Lake Champlain and the hip Church Street area, the cafes, and restaurants. It has a real smart vibe.

Like PP, it does have a PNW feel and lots of sunny days..AMAZING autumns.

Clarity
05-11-2007, 07:44 AM
I'm actually in NE Ohio...which has famously overcast skies. The sun doesn't shine much at all during the winter so dh and I are about giddy when May arrives with full days of sunshine. I do love the PNW though - df lives in Seattle so I'm glad to hear that the Burlington area has some similarities.