PDA

View Full Version : Good places to live in the Twin Cities (MN)

DrSally
05-09-2007, 12:51 PM
We're seriously thinking of moving back home to the twin cities to be close to family. But, we haven't lived there in 11 years, so I'm rusty on the best places to live. Looking for the usual: good schools, reasonable prices, AND relatively close to the airport (DH will be travelling). We're looking for new or recent construction, and I know everything is spreading out and there's a lot of new development in the outer, outer burbs, but that's just too far away (DH drives 2 hours to the airport now and it's awful). Our family lives in both the norther and southern burbs, so either would be fine, but we tend to prefer the south of the city. Thinking of Eden Prairie or Lakeville for starters, but really would like ideas! TIA!

DrSally
05-09-2007, 12:51 PM
We're seriously thinking of moving back home to the twin cities to be close to family. But, we haven't lived there in 11 years, so I'm rusty on the best places to live. Looking for the usual: good schools, reasonable prices, AND relatively close to the airport (DH will be travelling). We're looking for new or recent construction, and I know everything is spreading out and there's a lot of new development in the outer, outer burbs, but that's just too far away (DH drives 2 hours to the airport now and it's awful). Our family lives in both the norther and southern burbs, so either would be fine, but we tend to prefer the south of the city. Thinking of Eden Prairie or Lakeville for starters, but really would like ideas! TIA!

babyready
05-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Well, we JUST moved here, so I am no expert by any means. We live in Rosemount, so quite south. Definitely newer development. Apple Valley would be even closer and has a lot of newer areas also. Farmington is even further out but also very nice. And you mentioned Lakeville. I have met moms from all these areas and we all live nearly 10 minutes from one another, even though we're all in different suburbs. And depending on where you are, the drive to the airport would not be bad at all. Dh works in Bloomington and it takes him about 30 minutes to get to work (it is a couple exits before the airport) during the busiest times of day. Not awful at all.

Anyway, like I said, we JUST relocated here and I am still learning my way around but if you have any more questions, just ask! You probably know the area better than I do! LOL. However, we did look at tons of homes in the Southern suburbs so I kinda have a feel for different areas. Kind of!

babyready
05-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Well, we JUST moved here, so I am no expert by any means. We live in Rosemount, so quite south. Definitely newer development. Apple Valley would be even closer and has a lot of newer areas also. Farmington is even further out but also very nice. And you mentioned Lakeville. I have met moms from all these areas and we all live nearly 10 minutes from one another, even though we're all in different suburbs. And depending on where you are, the drive to the airport would not be bad at all. Dh works in Bloomington and it takes him about 30 minutes to get to work (it is a couple exits before the airport) during the busiest times of day. Not awful at all.

Anyway, like I said, we JUST relocated here and I am still learning my way around but if you have any more questions, just ask! You probably know the area better than I do! LOL. However, we did look at tons of homes in the Southern suburbs so I kinda have a feel for different areas. Kind of!

DrSally
05-09-2007, 01:57 PM
THanks! We have family in Farmington, and it is very pretty and open out there. Applevalley, Rosemount, etc. all have nice amenities, glad to hear there is still newer construction in those areas. I used to live in InverGrove heights and work by the airport, and it was super close. Someone told me to stay away from IGH b/c the whole place is built on a landfill? I don't know it this is true or not though. Very excited to be moving back hopefully, but a little out of touch with what's going on and definitely will have to reacclimate to the weather.

DrSally
05-09-2007, 01:57 PM
THanks! We have family in Farmington, and it is very pretty and open out there. Applevalley, Rosemount, etc. all have nice amenities, glad to hear there is still newer construction in those areas. I used to live in InverGrove heights and work by the airport, and it was super close. Someone told me to stay away from IGH b/c the whole place is built on a landfill? I don't know it this is true or not though. Very excited to be moving back hopefully, but a little out of touch with what's going on and definitely will have to reacclimate to the weather.

casey0729
05-09-2007, 02:09 PM
I live in Bloomington and I love it. If you move to West Bloomington (where I am) you can have all the convenience of the airport without living right next to it. Bloomington also has one of the best school districts (especially in West B).

Eden Prairie is nice from what I hear, I just find it overpriced. I love their mall though! Mommy parking everywhere and best bathrooms ever created. Nursing lounges, a little seat in every stall to strap your kiddo into while you're indisposed ... awesome!

KC

http://b2.lilypie.com/AWLtm5.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev197prs__.png

casey0729
05-09-2007, 02:09 PM
I live in Bloomington and I love it. If you move to West Bloomington (where I am) you can have all the convenience of the airport without living right next to it. Bloomington also has one of the best school districts (especially in West B).

Eden Prairie is nice from what I hear, I just find it overpriced. I love their mall though! Mommy parking everywhere and best bathrooms ever created. Nursing lounges, a little seat in every stall to strap your kiddo into while you're indisposed ... awesome!

KC

DrSally
05-09-2007, 02:57 PM
That was my feeling about Eden Prairie as well (overpriced). DH mentioned it as a possibility. So, in West Bloomington, you don't get too much airport noise? I'd love to live in Bloomington, since it would be kinda half way btwn our northern and southern family

DrSally
05-09-2007, 02:57 PM
That was my feeling about Eden Prairie as well (overpriced). DH mentioned it as a possibility. So, in West Bloomington, you don't get too much airport noise? I'd love to live in Bloomington, since it would be kinda half way btwn our northern and southern family

casey0729
05-09-2007, 04:09 PM
I don't hear the planes much. Maybe I don't pay attention to it. I hear the freeway noise more than the planes. We live just where West Bloomington starts, just west of the 35W. If you buy farther west I am sure it will not be a problem. It may also be a flight path thing I don't know.

I find Bloomington nice and central but still spacious and full of trees.

I have friends that live in Forest Lake - very north burbs - and they love it, so I guess it is totally up to the person.

Good luck looking!

KC

casey0729
05-09-2007, 04:09 PM
I don't hear the planes much. Maybe I don't pay attention to it. I hear the freeway noise more than the planes. We live just where West Bloomington starts, just west of the 35W. If you buy farther west I am sure it will not be a problem. It may also be a flight path thing I don't know.

I find Bloomington nice and central but still spacious and full of trees.

I have friends that live in Forest Lake - very north burbs - and they love it, so I guess it is totally up to the person.

Good luck looking!

KC

babyready
05-09-2007, 09:56 PM
I haven't spent much time in Inver Grove Heights. It doesn't seem like there is as much new development there as the other areas but I could be wrong. It could just be in a different area than where I was. And I never heard about it being built on a landfill but that doesn't mean anything! And I do have to say that this area has more parks than anywhere I have ever been. I have three within walking distance of my home. Really nice ones too. And I have only heard great things about the school district. Eagan could be a possibility too. Maybe not quite as new but still some very nice areas and even closer to the airport.

The weather is beautiful right now. Probably won't be that way for long but we are enjoying it while we can!

kristine_elen
05-09-2007, 10:23 PM
I know if we moved back we'd be in Minneapolis proper in one of the many gorgeous older homes (1910s) that are there. You'd have the lakes and the great Minneapolis public schools, which have open enrollment and all types of programs -- Montessori, etc. The city is also very close to the airport and it also now has light rail that goes out to the airport.

DrSally
05-10-2007, 06:27 AM
I did briefly live in the uptown area after college, and we love older homes, but with DH's job we just don't have the time for renovations/upkeep that an older home requires. We may still look, who knows...

DrSally
05-10-2007, 06:30 AM
That's one thing I'm really looking fwd to, the parks in MN are great! Here, we have to drive 15 min to a park, which charges during the summer! I grew up with a park across the street and nearly everyone I know has one extremely close by. So looking fwd to that.

haraldsworth
05-10-2007, 11:40 AM
I am in Apple Valley and really like it. We are also on the border of Rosemont and pretty close to Eagan and Lakeville. I am so happy with this area. The schools are good and I feel that we can easily get to most places. Plus, I love being so close to the zoo.

Sarah

jfmiller
05-10-2007, 12:48 PM
We are relocating to Dallas, TX after 11 years in the Twin Cities - so come take a look at my house in the southern suburbs (ha ha!). We live on the border of Apple Valley/Lakeville, so I know this area quite well. I am very, very sad about leaving. I'll give you the low down on what I know about the southern suburbs:

- Lakeville: lots of new construction. Just built a new HS. The construction (and existing houses) are pretty expensive - just to give you a heads up. Good schools, but lots of growth (higher taxes?!). New, huge SuperTarget and soon to open New Life Fitness. I highly recommend Small Wonders Preschool offered through the school district - fantastic!!!

- Apple Valley: LOVE AV. We are actually in this school district (but have Lakeville address). 3 of the elementary schools in this district just became magnet schools: Engineering, International Studies, Fine Arts. Older homes, more choices at different price points than Lakeville. VERY CONVENIENT, but so is Lakeville. AV is just closer. The Zoo is super close. Get a membership!

- Rosemount: also part of the AV school district. VERY AFFORDABLE, but not as many amenities as AV. IMO Rosemount has much more of a small town feel than either AV or Rosemount. Me, I like the amenities and convenience of AV, but Rosemount is growing. Like AV, many different price points of homes, esp. starter homes.

- Eagan: more expensive, IMO. The amenities they have are very, very good. I think this suburb "feels" more affluent. Close to the airport and St. Paul. Not as much new construction - prices will probably be higher than any of the other burbs. Also in district 196 (Apple Valley).

- Farmington: Small town feel - more affordable new construction. Don't know much about the school district, but don't think it is quite as good as either Lakeville or Apple Valley. Rural, but growing. IMO this isn't really considered a suburb in the same way as the others - more of an outlying town. This could change in the next 5-10 years, but it is much farther out, so not as convenient as the above.

Regarding other choices in the Twin Cities: don't know much about areas other than the south metro. Eden Prairie is nice, but pricey.

Sorry to write a book - PM me if you want more detailed information! Again, these are only my personal opinions and generalizations.

HTH and good luck!
Jennifer
Proud SAHM to Graham (1/02) and Genevieve (4/04)

DrSally
05-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Haha (about looking at your house). Thank you for your thoughts, they help a lot! I may pm you as the time gets closer.