PDA

View Full Version : DD EI for speech delay

maestramommy
05-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Well, I took Dora in for her eval this morning, and Dh came along too, which I think was great because often he hears about things secondhand, and I can't remember it all. At first I thought Dora was toast because she was kinda cranky when we first went and kept wanting to root through the diaper bag. But the tester was really engaging, and she ended up going through almost all the tasks. It was kind of an eye opener for us, because she knew more and could do more than we thought. Translation = she needs new toys :lol:

The final result was that she is at age level and above for everything except speech. She took the Bayley test, and for speech score at 12 months, or 5 on the "stanine," 8-12 being the normal range. It wasn't quite low enough to qualify for services, so at first they were going to have her come in for a specific speech eval. Then the tester remembered the REEL, which is a questionaire they used to use in conjunction with the old Bayley test. So we did that instead. After that she scored at 7-8 months. But they said don't freak out, this eval is just really harsh if your kid isn't using any known words. But it got her qualified for therapy, which was their goal. I guess that's nice. The tester wasn't very worried, but said she'd like Dora to get services because she was saying any of the things that she should be by now. So we will now get 2 weekly sessions in-home. But we're waiting for them to call us about availability, since there's a waiting list. If it takes too long they will recommend a clinic setting which is more group.

They also talked about preschools and the tester recommended starting her sooner than later, and looking for a program that has more interaction between teacher and students. They gave me the name of a parents/kid class that eventually becomes a co-op preschool.

What's great is they have a resource center where you can check out books, toys, and videos (for the kid). When I mentioned Dora hardly ever watches TV and was that okay, they said it really depended on the program. For language they recommend things like Dora, Diego, Blues Clues, programs where kids are asked to respond to what's said. Well, since we already have a Dora DVD I guess we could try that out.

So that's where we're at. I guess I was getting anxious because after reading some threads and a book a late talking children I was afraid they would put her on the autism spectrum just so she could get services and they could "study" her. But she wasn't even close for anything like that, the only thing that seems delayed is speech. Right now they can't tell me why she isn't talking, that will come as the therapy progresses.

Just wanted to say thanks to all the mamas who encouraged me to do the eval. It gave me enough peace of mind.

maestramommy
05-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Well, I took Dora in for her eval this morning, and Dh came along too, which I think was great because often he hears about things secondhand, and I can't remember it all. At first I thought Dora was toast because she was kinda cranky when we first went and kept wanting to root through the diaper bag. But the tester was really engaging, and she ended up going through almost all the tasks. It was kind of an eye opener for us, because she knew more and could do more than we thought. Translation = she needs new toys :lol:

The final result was that she is at age level and above for everything except speech. She took the Bayley test, and for speech score at 12 months, or 5 on the "stanine," 8-12 being the normal range. It wasn't quite low enough to qualify for services, so at first they were going to have her come in for a specific speech eval. Then the tester remembered the REEL, which is a questionaire they used to use in conjunction with the old Bayley test. So we did that instead. After that she scored at 7-8 months. But they said don't freak out, this eval is just really harsh if your kid isn't using any known words. But it got her qualified for therapy, which was their goal. I guess that's nice. The tester wasn't very worried, but said she'd like Dora to get services because she was saying any of the things that she should be by now. So we will now get 2 weekly sessions in-home. But we're waiting for them to call us about availability, since there's a waiting list. If it takes too long they will recommend a clinic setting which is more group.

They also talked about preschools and the tester recommended starting her sooner than later, and looking for a program that has more interaction between teacher and students. They gave me the name of a parents/kid class that eventually becomes a co-op preschool.

What's great is they have a resource center where you can check out books, toys, and videos (for the kid). When I mentioned Dora hardly ever watches TV and was that okay, they said it really depended on the program. For language they recommend things like Dora, Diego, Blues Clues, programs where kids are asked to respond to what's said. Well, since we already have a Dora DVD I guess we could try that out.

So that's where we're at. I guess I was getting anxious because after reading some threads and a book a late talking children I was afraid they would put her on the autism spectrum just so she could get services and they could "study" her. But she wasn't even close for anything like that, the only thing that seems delayed is speech. Right now they can't tell me why she isn't talking, that will come as the therapy progresses.

Just wanted to say thanks to all the mamas who encouraged me to do the eval. It gave me enough peace of mind.

Sillygirl
05-09-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm so glad you got generally good news! It must be a relief as you enter the final month of pregnancy. I wonder what's so magic about TV programs that ask for the kids to respond to what's said to them - I mean, isn't that what you and your DH do when you talk to her?

Fingers crossed that you get your therapy appointments soon!

Sillygirl
05-09-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm so glad you got generally good news! It must be a relief as you enter the final month of pregnancy. I wonder what's so magic about TV programs that ask for the kids to respond to what's said to them - I mean, isn't that what you and your DH do when you talk to her?

Fingers crossed that you get your therapy appointments soon!

sidmand
05-09-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm glad it gave you some peace of mind. I think it's good to have someone else give you feedback because sometimes you think things are worse than they are and sometimes you think they're better, and it's good to get an "outside" opinion.

You know, it can't hurt. If Dora starts talking up a storm, great, she's discharged from the program. If she doesn't, they'll help her along.

It is a scary first step, so good for you!

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

sidmand
05-09-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm glad it gave you some peace of mind. I think it's good to have someone else give you feedback because sometimes you think things are worse than they are and sometimes you think they're better, and it's good to get an "outside" opinion.

You know, it can't hurt. If Dora starts talking up a storm, great, she's discharged from the program. If she doesn't, they'll help her along.

It is a scary first step, so good for you!

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

Ceepa
05-09-2007, 03:49 PM
melinda,

I'm really interested in your experience because DD is about the same age as Dora and she basically has no words.

The ped. isn't worried because DS was also a late talker and DD does respond to commands, has great comprehension, etc., but she doesn't say any words.

Does Dora jargon at all? My DD chatters and squeals plenty. I wasn't really concerned until the last month or so. My thinking is that we should just give it a little more time, but I wonder if speech delay is one of these things that is better handled with some kind of early intervention. Don't know.

Thanks.
-Ceepa

Ceepa
05-09-2007, 03:49 PM
melinda,

I'm really interested in your experience because DD is about the same age as Dora and she basically has no words.

The ped. isn't worried because DS was also a late talker and DD does respond to commands, has great comprehension, etc., but she doesn't say any words.

Does Dora jargon at all? My DD chatters and squeals plenty. I wasn't really concerned until the last month or so. My thinking is that we should just give it a little more time, but I wonder if speech delay is one of these things that is better handled with some kind of early intervention. Don't know.

Thanks.
-Ceepa

brittone2
05-09-2007, 03:55 PM
It sounds like it went well. I'm glad you feel reassured. It sounds like she might just need a little jump start to get her going. I'm sure that she'll have a good time playing with the EI therapist :)

I hope you are feeling a sense of relief. The eval is really the toughest part emotionally on mom and dad.

brittone2
05-09-2007, 03:55 PM
It sounds like it went well. I'm glad you feel reassured. It sounds like she might just need a little jump start to get her going. I'm sure that she'll have a good time playing with the EI therapist :)

I hope you are feeling a sense of relief. The eval is really the toughest part emotionally on mom and dad.

JBaxter
05-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Nathan had about 10 words at yrs old and we also did EI and had a wonderful expierence. We did 1x a week in home and when he turned 3 we do a school based speech therapy Since September we have been doing a 2 morning a week pre primary Montessori program that he LOVES.

Like Dora, Nathan also scored with in normal in all other areas of testing. He is doing wonderfully now and but will continue with speech at least though next year.

JBaxter
05-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Nathan had about 10 words at yrs old and we also did EI and had a wonderful expierence. We did 1x a week in home and when he turned 3 we do a school based speech therapy Since September we have been doing a 2 morning a week pre primary Montessori program that he LOVES.

Like Dora, Nathan also scored with in normal in all other areas of testing. He is doing wonderfully now and but will continue with speech at least though next year.

maestramommy
05-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Dora only babbles. She does the da, ma, na, ba, ka, syllables, and can make the s and f sound. But she doesn't chatter much. Only when she wants to communicate something, which is usually preceded by "uh, uh, uh..." or "m, m, m...." It's like listening to a chimp :-).

I think every ped is different, and ours was concerned. Also we don't have an older child to compare to. If you are concerned, you can always ask for an EI. Either you can ask your ped for a phone number to call, or you can find a center yourself and just call. What I was told was that before age 3 is the best time, because it's paid for (either entirely or partially) by govt funds, and the process is simpler. After that it's through your public school system, which I gather is more red tape to deal with.

maestramommy
05-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Dora only babbles. She does the da, ma, na, ba, ka, syllables, and can make the s and f sound. But she doesn't chatter much. Only when she wants to communicate something, which is usually preceded by "uh, uh, uh..." or "m, m, m...." It's like listening to a chimp :-).

I think every ped is different, and ours was concerned. Also we don't have an older child to compare to. If you are concerned, you can always ask for an EI. Either you can ask your ped for a phone number to call, or you can find a center yourself and just call. What I was told was that before age 3 is the best time, because it's paid for (either entirely or partially) by govt funds, and the process is simpler. After that it's through your public school system, which I gather is more red tape to deal with.

Ceepa
05-09-2007, 07:37 PM
>Dora only babbles. She does the da, ma, na, ba, ka,
>syllables, and can make the s and f sound. But she doesn't
>chatter much. Only when she wants to communicate something,
>which is usually preceded by "uh, uh, uh..." or "m, m, m...."
>It's like listening to a chimp :-).

hmmm. This is the same as DD. Maybe I will get her evaluated. Better to find out.

Thanks for the response!

-Ceepa

DrSally
05-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Glad you felt reassured by the results! Sounds like they weren't too concerned, but wanted to start the intervention to help her along. Great! Will be interesting to see the impact and how her speech blossoms. Sounds like you got some good advice about preschools. Do they recommend starting now?? or are they talking like 3 yo?

maestramommy
05-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Actually they recommended earlier than 3 if I can get in and she's still not talking by 2. I was going to start LOOKING at schools when she turned 2, but what they said I could do is start putting my name on waiting lists, and if I get in earlier but she's already talking, I can just defer my spot instead of losing it entirely. I guess it's worth checking out. There were two preschools I was going to check out this fall anyway.

almostamom
05-09-2007, 10:41 PM
If the waiting list for speech services ends up being long (we've been waiting since Sept., but we're in AZ) check your health insurance. DS has been in private practice therapy since last June. We have to pay our copays and our insurance covers 75 visits/year. I had no idea before we started all of this!

Good luck,
Linda

DrSally
05-10-2007, 06:33 AM
Hmm, good to know that early preschool is an option. DS has words, but they are mostly sounds and not real words. I'm going to ask at his next appt. if that's ok.