PDA

View Full Version : Books for 11yo boy

geochick
05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
I need some book suggestions for my 11yo nephew. He's going to be staying with me while his mom has brain surgery to remove a tumor. He loves the book Summer of the Monkeys, so I want to find another age-appropriate book (or books) for him to read while he's at my house. I'm sure he won't remember to pack a book.

What do you recommend for him? Thanks so much!

geochick
05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
I need some book suggestions for my 11yo nephew. He's going to be staying with me while his mom has brain surgery to remove a tumor. He loves the book Summer of the Monkeys, so I want to find another age-appropriate book (or books) for him to read while he's at my house. I'm sure he won't remember to pack a book.

What do you recommend for him? Thanks so much!

Sillygirl
05-09-2007, 02:41 PM
The Westinghouse Game? Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Superfudge? Johnny Tremain?

I think the conventional wisdom is that boys will only read books with boy main characters, so I was trying to pick over my favorites that fit that criteria.

The Narnia series would be good, too.

Sillygirl
05-09-2007, 02:41 PM
The Westinghouse Game? Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Superfudge? Johnny Tremain?

I think the conventional wisdom is that boys will only read books with boy main characters, so I was trying to pick over my favorites that fit that criteria.

The Narnia series would be good, too.

momx3
05-09-2007, 02:47 PM
My 11 yo son enjoys the Spiderwicke and Lemony Snicket series.

Cathy

momx3
05-09-2007, 02:47 PM
My 11 yo son enjoys the Spiderwicke and Lemony Snicket series.

Cathy

jgriffin
05-09-2007, 03:16 PM
If he's into fantasy-type stuff you could get him something from "The Dark is Rising" series by Susan Cooper. A little dark, but very good reading!

jgriffin
05-09-2007, 03:16 PM
If he's into fantasy-type stuff you could get him something from "The Dark is Rising" series by Susan Cooper. A little dark, but very good reading!

kellij
05-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Has he read Harry Potter? Do you have a library handy? You could just take him in and let him pick some out.

Good luck on your sister's surgery, how scary! It's lucky that she has a sister that can help her out.

kellij
05-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Has he read Harry Potter? Do you have a library handy? You could just take him in and let him pick some out.

Good luck on your sister's surgery, how scary! It's lucky that she has a sister that can help her out.

tarabenet
05-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Ooooooh! My favorite book series!

The "Great Brain" books were another favorite of mine. Also seconding Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. All feature boys.

tarabenet
05-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Ooooooh! My favorite book series!

The "Great Brain" books were another favorite of mine. Also seconding Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. All feature boys.

SnuggleBuggles
05-09-2007, 04:42 PM
If he hasn't read Harry Potter that would be an obvious choice. :) The Artemis Fowl series would be good (about a young teenage criminal mastermind and his quest for world domination...good characters and there are 5 books in the series so it would take a while to read them). The books "Eragon" and "Eldest" were big hits with my nephew. The "Redwall" books may be good too.

Those were books my nephew liked at that age.

Have you typed in "Summer Of the Monkeys" into amazon to see what other readers have also bought or listmania suggestions? I just tried that and here are some of the recommendations (this is how I find lots of my books!):
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Old Yeller by Fred Gipson
Gentle Ben by Walt Morey
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

HTH,
Beth

SnuggleBuggles
05-09-2007, 04:42 PM
If he hasn't read Harry Potter that would be an obvious choice. :) The Artemis Fowl series would be good (about a young teenage criminal mastermind and his quest for world domination...good characters and there are 5 books in the series so it would take a while to read them). The books "Eragon" and "Eldest" were big hits with my nephew. The "Redwall" books may be good too.

Those were books my nephew liked at that age.

Have you typed in "Summer Of the Monkeys" into amazon to see what other readers have also bought or listmania suggestions? I just tried that and here are some of the recommendations (this is how I find lots of my books!):
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Old Yeller by Fred Gipson
Gentle Ben by Walt Morey
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

HTH,
Beth

almostamom
05-09-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm running out the door, but very quickly - anything by Gary Paulsen - Hatchet, The River, etc. His books were always favorites of my 5th and 6th grade boys. I'll add more later.

Linda

almostamom
05-09-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm running out the door, but very quickly - anything by Gary Paulsen - Hatchet, The River, etc. His books were always favorites of my 5th and 6th grade boys. I'll add more later.

Linda

jgriffin
05-09-2007, 09:10 PM
>Ooooooh! My favorite book series!
>
>The "Great Brain" books were another favorite of mine. Also
>seconding Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. All feature boys.

I still read The Great Brain series now and then, when I'm feeling tired and sick and I want something to cheer me up. Another great series!

vonfirmath
05-10-2007, 12:33 AM
How about non-fiction?

My experience with two boys are that they enjoy non-fiction books about real things at that age.

Encyclopedas. Books about how things work.

MeAndMyStar
05-10-2007, 12:45 AM
I loved anything by Roald Dahl at that age. The BFG (Big Friendly Giant) is really cute. Sounds babyish but it's a fun book!

geochick
05-10-2007, 08:52 AM
These are great suggestions. I'll take him to the bookstore today and we'll buy all the ones he hasn't read. Thanks so much. His mom is being wheeled into an awake brain surgery right now. :(

Thanks again.