PDA

View Full Version : How do drop-off daycare centers work?

JoyNChrist
05-23-2007, 12:13 AM
I heard from a friend that a drop-off center is opening soon in our town. How do these work? Are there maximum numbers of children they can care for at one time? Are they licensed like a regular day-care provider? I'm assuming you pay by the hour...are there minimum and maximum amounts of time that you can leave DC? How much do they usually charge?

I'm excited about the possibility of one opening here (I think I'd cry if I actually got to grocery shop by myself), but I just don't understand how they work.

trumansmom
05-23-2007, 07:24 AM
There is one I use frequently that is wonderful. I'm sure every place is different, but here's what ours is like.

I'll try to answer your questions one by one.

1) There is a maximum number, and they will turn children away when they've reached that number. However, as they get close, they usually call a staff member or owner who is on call for just that sort of situation.

2) The one I use is licensed as per city requirements.

3) There is no minimum, but there is a maximum. I'm not sure what it is, but I think it's around 10 hours.

4) I live in a very inexpensive part of the world, so it's cheap here. Something like $4 an hour for the first child and $3.50 for the second. (I'm not sure of the exact amount, but it's something like that.)

Just so you know, there may be a minimum age. Here you have to be two or older, but I'm sure that varies from center to center.

I can't say enough good things about ours. The facilities are fabulous with kitchens, train tables, karaoke machine, dress up stuff galore, indoor basketball nets, air hockey tables, giant indoor Little Tykes climby thingy. The kids beg to go there.

HTH a little -

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

miki
05-23-2007, 07:37 AM
The one near us is very similar except the minimum age is about 18 months and the per hour charge is closer to $10. They also have a rule that you may not use them as your regular child care for when you need to do paid employment yourself. I've never asked anyone but just assume that is due to licensing or insurance requirements.

niccig
05-23-2007, 10:55 AM
The minimum age here is 3 and DC must be potty trained. I probably have another year before DS can go.

tylersmama
05-23-2007, 11:13 AM
The one near us is licensed for kids from 12 months to 12 years (although I think there is another one that requires they be 12 months AND walking). We haven't used it yet but may in the future. It looks like they require an annual registration fee of $25/family, then it's $7.50/hr plus .50/hr if the child is in diapers.

nfowife
05-23-2007, 12:42 PM
We have one locally but haven't used it yet. You can drop-in for kids over 2 and for kids under 2 you have to call first to make sure there is space since the ratios are different for infants vs. toddlers.