PDA

View Full Version : My baby boy is turning THREE on May 24!

Mamma2004
05-23-2007, 09:45 PM
I feel silly for being such an emotional wreck! We are immensely thankful that James is so happy, healthy and wonderfully sweet. It's still so hard to believe that after four years of infertility, various treatments and procedures, as well as loss and heart wrenching drama, our little angel was born nearly three years ago. I was in the hospital and on bed rest when, at 32 weeks, DS thrust his tiny little leg and (sorry for TMI) kicked out his umbilical cord. It was the most horrifying time of my life because it was unclear whether either of us would make it. He made quite an entrance but thanks to our team of phenomenal doctors and nurses, we both survived!

This morning was our final visit from EI (Early Intervention). These amazing women have helped us through every step of our journey, beginning right when DS was released from his 50-day stint in the NICU. My stomach is in knots because now we're really on our own! I know we still have a great support network; it's just that "three" is such a huge step for the family of a preemie. In addition, our preschool paperwork and checks are due next week. How will I be able to let go? It's just so much so soon!

Why is it okay that now, at 10:40 p.m., he is "two and a half" whereas I am in a panic that tomorrow at 6:04 a.m. he'll suddenly be "three"??? I must sound crazy, especially to parents of multiple children. It's just that we realize he is our one and only so, for me in particular, this is a very emotional period. I just want time to stand still so I can savor this precious stage a little longer.

Thank you all for letting me ramble while trying to hold it together. I am a mess but it always helps to know you're there!

Stephanie

Lovingliv
05-23-2007, 10:01 PM
May I be the first to congratulate you on a job well done Mama!

James (LOVE his name) has passed all the steps,,,and now he is going to spread his wings and fly!

Happy Birthday to James and congrats to you Stephanie!!!

Mamma2004
05-24-2007, 07:33 AM
Thank you for your kind thoughts, Rachel!

Stephanie

Corie
05-24-2007, 07:38 AM
Way to go, James!! I hope you have a totally awesome 3rd birthday!!

Have a great day, Stephanie! :)

Puddy73
05-24-2007, 08:38 AM
Big hugs! I have two DC and I still get very emotional about their milestones. DH is always telling me that I still haven't "cut the cord" for either one.

I hope that James has a wonderful birthday!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

lmintzer
05-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Congratulations on making it to this big milestone. It makes complete sense that it's an emotional one for you. There's a lot of meaning in being told you're on your own, even if the actual moment doesn't mean any real changes. What a scary birth James' must have been for all of you! I hope his 3rd birthday celebration is one that brings you much joy and pride.

(BTW, I'm a mama of two, and I get teary at every big milestone. You should have seen me this Sept when my first "baby" went to Kindergarten and my second baby to preschool!!)

buddyleebaby
05-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Whether he was turning three or ninety three, he would still be your baby. He would still be your miracle.

Congratulations.

Wishing your son a very happy birthday!

candybomiller
05-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Hope your day is fantastic!

And Happy Mommyversary Stephanie! :)

Mamma2004
05-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Many thanks to all of you. I still can't figure out how to post photos (after 3+ years here) but I'll keep trying!

Stephanie

thomma
05-24-2007, 07:15 PM
I think I know how you feel...I've been there. We have similar stories- my twins were born at 30 weeks after 4 years of infertility treatments and multiple losses. I was put on bedrest at 24 weeks and hospitalized for preterm labor at 29 weeks. We spent 58 days in the NICU and also had EI for 3 years (our EI person became a friend and we have a playdate next week :) ) Ds and dd turned 4 on May 14. For me the actual birthday is always this feeling of "wow, look how far we've come" but I do tend do get a little blue for the weeks before and after their birthday. It was such a difficult beginning for us.

You hit it right on the head when you said "savor this precious stage"...I'm forever wanting time to stand still (okay, not on those really crazy days! :) )

Sorry for babbling but your post really hit a chord-
I hope you had a wonderful birthday with your son...3 is a lot of fun!

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

punkrockmama
05-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Awww. Big hugs and congrats to you Stephanie! :) It sounds like you and your little man have been thru so much and it's awesome to hear where you are now.

I totally get it. My man is three and it's so bittersweet to look at them and wonder when they turned into a real, actual kid. What happened to our BABIES??

Happy birthday to your boy! Enjoy it mamma, you're doing a great job. :)