PDA

View Full Version : "Read" any great audiobooks lately?

pb&j
05-25-2007, 08:16 PM
I barely have time to read, but I have plenty of commuting time in the car to listen. I'm looking for some great audiobooks. My requirements:

-Must be unabridged. I don't care how long that makes it, but if I'm "reading" a book, I want to "read" the whole thing.
-Reader's voice must be non-annoying. I had a David Sedaris audiobook and I couldn't finish it because of his really incredibly irritating voice and intonations. Blech.
-Must have some kind of plot/forward movement. Need to stay awake on the drive, y'know.
-Preferably available for download on iTunes, though this is not a dealbreaker. I could actually check something out from the library.

I don't care if it's fiction, nonfiction, read by the author, read by actors, great lit, chick lit, whatever. No Harlequin romances, no talk radio hosts turned author, no Nicholas Sparks, no self-help. Must be compelling and well-written.

Lay 'em on me!!

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

pb&j
05-25-2007, 08:16 PM
I barely have time to read, but I have plenty of commuting time in the car to listen. I'm looking for some great audiobooks. My requirements:

-Must be unabridged. I don't care how long that makes it, but if I'm "reading" a book, I want to "read" the whole thing.
-Reader's voice must be non-annoying. I had a David Sedaris audiobook and I couldn't finish it because of his really incredibly irritating voice and intonations. Blech.
-Must have some kind of plot/forward movement. Need to stay awake on the drive, y'know.
-Preferably available for download on iTunes, though this is not a dealbreaker. I could actually check something out from the library.

I don't care if it's fiction, nonfiction, read by the author, read by actors, great lit, chick lit, whatever. No Harlequin romances, no talk radio hosts turned author, no Nicholas Sparks, no self-help. Must be compelling and well-written.

Lay 'em on me!!

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

tarabenet
05-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Have you ever heard David Rakoff? His book "Don't Get Too Comfortable" is a riot! I don't know how his voice/intonations compare to Sedaris, though. I'll pm you.

tarabenet
05-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Have you ever heard David Rakoff? His book "Don't Get Too Comfortable" is a riot! I don't know how his voice/intonations compare to Sedaris, though. I'll pm you.

jgriffin
05-25-2007, 08:52 PM
I had a David Sedaris
>audiobook and I couldn't finish it because of his really
>incredibly irritating voice and intonations. Blech.

I'll take it off your hands Ry, I just adore him!

DH really enjoyed The DaVinci Code, and we've got the complete Hitchhiker's Guide that is very well done (if you like DA). We gave our bf the Chronicles of Narnia for xmas last year and were told they were really good.

(nak)

thomma
05-26-2007, 05:33 PM
The best audiobook I've ever listened to was Angela's Ashes. The author reads it himself...I loved it.

Kim
ds&dd 5/03