PDA

View Full Version : C-Section recovery tips

MarisaSF
05-26-2007, 03:36 PM
I've got the info handouts from my doc, but would love some tips from BTDT mamas!

Any advice besides stay on top of the pain meds and rest? Favorite pain med "regimens"?

When I walk, should I really stand up as straight as possible to avoid the scar healing all scrunched over?

Did you use any sort of compress? Special diet or supplements? Walk or avoid walking? Nursing positions? Websites for more info? What was your recovery timeline? Things to avoid? Things to do?

I'm not sure what I'm seeking... just want to heal as fast as possible, avoid infection, keep the scar and my belly looking decent, and return to a normal routine at some point without injury.

TIA!

hez
05-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Avoid the stairs for a couple weeks if you have 'em (I tried to limit it to up & down once or twice a day). Keep the incision clean. If they suggested Gas-X or something similar, take it. Don't pick up DD if you can help it.

Once the incision was healed I used Mederma for awhile. No idea if it made any difference. Stopped that after awhile and just stuck to regular body lotion. 3 1/2 years later the scar tissue's fairly soft. There was an internal lumpy spot for awhile, but that seems to have softened up. I remember the ob/gyn mentioning I might have to massage it to break the scar tissue up a bit.

I don't remember walking a certain way-- except whatever way it hurt the least :)

I felt OK enough to kick my mom out at 2 weeks, and by 4 weeks I felt OK enough to go to a couple weddings. Other than that, the memories are fading.

I hope your healing goes well!

jillc
05-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Hi Marisa,

A big congrats to you on the birth of your little guy - he looks absolutely adorable. :)

Both of my kiddos were born by c/s, and I found the recovery to be much easier than I had feared.

Yes, stay on top of the pain meds and rest. I didn't do anything other than that, and by about 3 weeks out, I felt like my usual self - except for the gigantic breasts and complete sleep deprivation. ;)

My scar healed wonderfully both times. I didn't pay any attention to posture.

Try to avoid lifting your older child. Walking seems to help general healing process, but don't push yourself.

If you cough, sneeze, or laugh, it hurts your incision! Pressing a pillow on top of the incision during the couging, etc. really helps.

When DS was small, I loved the My Breast Friend travel pillow & so wished I'd had it with DD. I did football hold & cross-cradle positions mostly.

Hope this helps. Congrats again!
Jill

kellij
05-26-2007, 06:05 PM
With my DS I was in labor for a long time and then had a c/s. Recovery was much more difficult with him than with my DD. With my daughter, born last May, I was having contractions before my c/s so my dr. wanted to go ahead and do the c/s. So it was NO big deal for me.

I had read that you should walk as early as possible, that it helps with the healing. With DS, I remember not being able to stand up all the way straight and it being difficult to walk down the hall. With DD, she was born at 5:00, my iv ripped out in the middle of the night (the most painful thing of the whole event) so I wasn't attached to anything any longer. That following morning I got up, unassisted to use the bathroom and it was no big deal. The nurses were horrified and really surprised. I was able to walk that day, standing straight up. I just really tried to walk as soon as I could and as much as I felt comfortable with. So I highly recommend walking.

Also, you have to go "number 2"before you can leave the hospital. With DS I had to use a suppository, so this time I drank prune juice and ate all the bran I could get my hands on. It worked, so I recommend that method as well. It is just easier on your system.

With pain meds, I took them in the hospital and then once I got home I think I only took the percocet about that first day or two and then I just took lots of ibuprofen. (I took them much longer with DS). I noticed that I felt more tired when taking the percocet and that was about the last thing I needed. I just would try not taking the meds and if it still hurt, I'd take them.

We moved 3 weeks after DD was born. So it's all a big blur now, but I know I was definitely packing all of the lighter stuff and everything was back to normal by then.

I love the laying down position for nursing. But for sitting up, I just brought a boppy to the hospital. I love the boppy.

You're not supposed to drive for two weeks, so that's a bummer. I asked my dr. about it because I felt so great and she said that she drove within the 2 week timeframe after one of her c/s and she doesn't recommend, she really did feel differently.

I was also told that you should pick up anything heavier than your baby for two weeks. I had a 17-month-old, so there was no way I could do that. He stayed with my parents for the first week, we knew we couldn't explain it to him and so best for him to just be away. But then I just tried to carry him less. It was fine.

My first scar is nonexistant. I didn't do anything other than leave the tape on for the time they specified. You can see the second scar, but it's really a thin scar. I think of it as a badge of honor. :)

Good luck and congrats!!

psophia17
05-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Pain Meds! I doubled up on tylenol and advil - tylenol every 4ish hours, advil every 6ish hours. Do everything you can to keep the incision dry, too.

Try to stand up straight regularly, and when it doesn't hurt to do so, lightly tighten your abs (pull bellybutton to spine). Once you're cleared to do it, I imagine swimming would be an awesome thing to do, to get your abs back in shape.

Mine are shot, but that's only after 2 pgs, 2 c/s, one appendectomy w/ large incision, and throwing my back out...you're doing pretty good if you ask me :P

elephantmeg
05-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Don't overdo for the first couple weeks. They told me no cooking, cleaning, laundry for 2 weeks. I took the dog for a walk at 6 weeks-bad idea she's a beagle and hadn't been walked in a long time and she was ready to GO. I did ibuprofen every 6 hours and then took the percocet just as needed-found I needed it in the afternoons usually. I did no lotion, no mederma or anything. My scar looks good-but it was very ropy for a while and VERY itchy for awhile. Having the staples out was pure bliss :) I tried hard to get fiber, eat yogurt (to counteract the antibiotics from c-section) and took the stool softener twice a day. I wish I had gone back on the prenatals sooner and had worked on more iron-I think I was slightly anemic (OK I looked up my lab results when I got back to work and my H+H had dropped every day after surgery and were somewhat low). My midwife had told me to avoid the vitamins to prevent constipation.

I love the breast friend pillow and used the football hold on one side and cross cradle on the other for a while (how DS liked to latch-had some torticollis).

I had the section very late monday night. Went home Thursday morning. Went to a grandma shower for MIL on Sat (stayed less than an hour), Pedi Monday (stayed home Sunday but the visiting nurse came and took out staples and checked us both out). By Thursday I was ready to get out and went with MIL to Walmart (lol).

Good luck!

Marisa6826
05-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Definitely avoid stairs as much as you can. Don't pick up Jazzy. Instead, sit on the couch and let her cuddle next to you.

Don't wait to be in agony before taking your meds. Keep it on whatever schedule your doctor prescribed. Being in pain doesn't make you a hero. ;)

One of the best ways I found to keep the incisions dry was to dust with some plain corn starch on a cotton ball. Try exposing it to air as often as you can. Keep it out of the sun (use a heavy zinc cream), as you would any other scar. Vitamin E capsules have the perfect amount in them - just pierce one open, squeeze it out, and massage into the scar. Not only will it help with the appearance, it will help to break up any adhesions you have directly under the site.

If you have to cough or sneeze, hold a pillow up against the incision. It really does make a difference.

If you can nurse 'football' style, it helps, as does side lying. Tate is definitely big enough to try that! ;)

It took me *way* longer to recover after my c/s with Sophie than it did with Mia. I think I was walking upright (and without holding onto walls!) about two weeks after Mia. I was somewhat back to normal about 3-4 weeks (not having to walk slowly, etc.). I felt like myself by the 6w checkup by my OB.

HTH

-m

SnuggleBuggles
05-26-2007, 09:15 PM
I have read that chewing gum can help get your digestive system really up and running. The extra saliva you produce goes through your system and keeps things moving. So, if you are having gas pains still try gum between eating and drinking.

Beth

egoldber
05-26-2007, 09:39 PM
You do need to rest, but I also think its important to get up and out of bed as soon as you can. Taking short walks is good for healing. With all 3 of my sections I have been out of bed within a few hours, at least to hobble across the room to the bathroom. I ask for the catheter out ASAP. The longer its in the more likely you are to have bladder issues.

Definitely take your pain meds. Most places give Duramorph (a morphine bolus) as part of the epidural/spinal for the surgery. This gives pretty good pain relief for the first 24 hours, but FYI, Duramorph causes many people (including me) to have practically unbearable itching. As in scratching yourself until you bleed type itching. They can give Benadryl for this. I happen to be extremely sensitive to Benadryl and they can also give Nubain instead for the itching.

I have been given Percocet with all my sections, alternating with 600mg ibuprofen. The percocet can be taken every 4-6 hours and the ibuprofen every 6 hours. They work best when alternated, say percocet at 4 and ibuprofen at 6. Don't take tylenol with Percocet because it already has tylenol in it. I always asked my night nurse to wake me so that I didn't miss my nighttime doses. I took percocet for about 10 days all 3 times, gradually tapering off.

You will talk to the anesthesiologist as part of your pre-op prep. Think long and hard about your operative wishes and communicate that. Ask about other meds you may be given besides pain meds, like anti-nausea meds and sedatives. At many, many places it is routine for them to give mom a sedative after the baby is out and while the OB is doing the repair (the long, tedious part of the surgery). I HATED this with Sarah because I kept drifting in and out and my blood pressure kept diving. With Amy, I think I told the anesthesiologist that I wanted to be "clear headed and aware" about 10 times in the pre-op prep, LOL! But she listened and the anesthesia was exactly as I wanted.

I've never heard that about scrunching over. Some people tend to have keloid scarring and some don't. I wouldn't worry about it honestly. If you tend to scar that way you probably already know.

I would eat lots of high fiber foods. I have never had to pass a "poop test" to get out of the hospital. The new rule is if you are passing gas, you are good to go. I did take the stool softener religiously because that first poop is not very fun.

I like to wear exercise shorts during recovery. Something snug to provide some support, but not too tight. Something black that you wouldn't heartbroken if you got blood on it.

I used the football hold at first and found that to be the most helpful in the beginning. Tell them you want to nurse ASAP in the recovery room. Tell everyone this.

As for timeline, I felt wretched for about a week (as in painful to walk, get out of bed, needed a wheelchair to go any sort of distance in the hospital, etc.). I felt mostly fine by about 2 weeks. "Recovered" by 6 weeks and really myself again by 3 months.

Its important to listen to your body. You want to move around to keep yourself mobile and avoid complications. But you also want to avoid overdoing things.

ETA: Duh!! Just saw the other thread and realized you already had your baby LOL!!! Congrats!!!

kijip
05-27-2007, 12:43 AM
Walking helped me a lot. I found I did not need the pain meds for long but in the early days, I had a schedule written down to remind me to take one before the pain really kicked in. Bear in mind that the scar may feel funny (numb, itchy...different people say different things) for 1-2 years. And, if your doc prescribed a stool softener...take it.

julieakc
05-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Congrats on the baby!

As for recovery I guess it all depends on the person. I'm pretty sure I didn't take any pain medication after I left the hospital (about 99% sure).

What others have said about laughing or sneezing is true...a pillow definitely helps. Certain ways I would move, particularly moving from a prone to an upright position hurt a bit. I walked slow for a few weeks, but I did drive before the two weeks was up....DS was still in the NICU so I made the drive myself a few times before I was officially supposed to be driving.

I did use the compress belt for maybe a week or two. I didn't follow any special diet or supplements (other than contining the prenatal vitamins).

The scar healed pretty nicely and now - 3 years later (where did the time go) it is not all that noticable. I do remember that for months (maybe even the first year) every once in a while there would be this weird sensation at the incision...I wouldn't really call it pain (ok, maybe at first), just an odd, noticeable sensation. A friend had mentioned this about her c/s so I wasn't alarmed.

For me the worst part was the steri-stripes which were really itchy...I have sensitive skin; I felt much better after those were off and the slight irritation they caused cleared.

Honestly my whole focus was on DS (you know what I was dealing with) so I didn't even pay attention to my own care.

Speedy recovery to you!

gisele
05-27-2007, 01:58 AM
Get up and walk around lots and try to do normal things as soon as possible, without straining or pushing yourself. This will help you heal faster. Don't lift anything heavier than the baby when you get home. For pain, they gave me a strong dose of ibuprofen every 6 hours. I took Vicadin the 2 days after, and then stopped, I didn't need it anymore. Get your digestive system going again. Eat lots of fibrous foods to help you get the gas out and poop while in the hospital. Drink lots of fluids. I ordered the prunes from the hospital menu. They offer a stool softener but you are always better of going the natural way. Pain meds also constipate you so even more reason to eat fiber and drink. Use a little pillow (the hospital gives you one) to hold on your incision when you need to contract the stomach muscles. I used pillows to position baby for nursing, so could nurse in any position (except lying down).

It really isn't bad at all. I've had this incision three times (once for surgery, and 2 c-sections). It's been pretty easy to heal afterwards. In fact, the long long labor from my first pregnancy was harder to recover from than the C-section part. By 2-3 weeks, I was felt back to normal.

FYI, I also had my babies in the SF Bay Area!

ellies mom
05-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Another walker here. The hospital actually encouraged me to get up and walk around. I didn't go hog wild but I did do a fair amount of walking. I did avoid stairs and lifting.

The football hold for breastfeeding did help and so did a fairly steady stream of drugs. I don't remember how long I took them but for a few days after I got home.

Overall, though I had a great c-section recovery and I know you are in great shape so I'm sure that will help you out a lot and you will be back to running in now time (ok maybe 6-8 weeks).

By the way congratulations!!! He is a doll.

bubbaray
05-27-2007, 01:49 PM
I've had 2 c/s. Regular strength tylenol & advil was all I took, for about a week, on a schedule and not waiting to feel pain. IIRC its every 3 hrs with tylenol, every 6 with advil, whatever it says on the bottle. I ate kiwi fruit to aid in digestion. With both, I was up walking within 12 hrs of the surgery, at the suggestion of the nurses. I felt fine enough to do that anyway.

The plastic surgeon who did revision surgery on my scar from the 1st c/s (complications) does not recommend Vitamin e cream or anything other than silicon cream (can't remember the name). I d/n use anything on the scar either time because its so low, no one will see it! The OB used the same incision site for the 2nd.

I didn't have any driving or stair restrictions with either. No vacuuming or picking up anything heavier than the newborn for 6w though (including DD#1). No activity restrictions, but just what I felt like doing (which wasn't a whole lot b/c I was tired and my boobs were engorged!). So, I rested and BFd a lot. I use a regular pillow to BF, never really liked any of the specialty BFg pillows, they don't hit me right and bother my incision for some reason. I also d/n really like nursing laying down, which apparently most c/s moms do like. Just the usual cradle hold works best for me, with DD resting on the pillow.

HTH
Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

kaileysmom
05-27-2007, 06:01 PM
nak.. another thing to help with the gas is to drink warm fluids. nothing with ice and don't use a straw. that helped a lot the second time around. i walked a lot and wore the compress girdle thingy. definitely avoid the stairs and lifting your little one. i had help for 2 weeks, but was fine after that.

kochh2
05-27-2007, 08:34 PM
what they said!! plus, when my scar from DS was new, i rubbed vitamin e oil on it, and 2 yrs later, my MW was sommenting on how well it was healed... Also, when scar starts feeling funky, GET some cream with hypericum in it-- i use Traumeel, and it makes it soo much better! i am still semi-numb 2 mos. later, with Ds's scar, it took over 18 mos. to feel right again! ick!

feel good!! congrats on your new babe!

LarsMal
05-27-2007, 10:33 PM
You've already gotten a lot of great advice. The only thing I can add is- DON'T LAUGH!! No, seriously! About 3 days after DD was born I was watching some really stupid show with my mom and DH. I started laughing at some dumb joke and then just kind of got the giggles (pain pills probably :-) ). I was in pain for about 4 days after that, to the point where I was ready to call the doctor, and I think I even posted about it here on the boards. I thought I ripped my insides apart. I guess I just irritated something.

So, be careful- don't get the giggles!!!

Hope you're feeling well. You're little/big man is adorable!

hardysmom
05-28-2007, 08:56 AM
A little depends on if you are getting a spinal or an epi... I've had both.

First, on the practical side, take your nursing pillow to the hospital. No one ever told me that w/ #1 and it would have been so much easier to start nursing with a bobby (or whatever) than with pillows and such.

If an epi, get the cathader out ASAP!!! I would aim for 12-18 hours post-op. Certainly I'd try to have it out w/i 24 hours. The longer it is in, the more complications (bladder, etc). Psychologically, it is much better to be able to move around (however hunched over) and to try to be helpful/independent. The pain meds you get in the hospital are about as strong as the epi, so it isn't a pain issue. For some reason, many nurses won't actively encourage you to get it out quickly, so you may just have to push the issue yourself.

If you get a spinal, you won't have a cathader after the c/s. In that case, just try to get up and move around SLOWLY as soon as you can. The spinal may TOTALLY numb pain for 18 hours or so... Don't mistake the pain-free feeling for a lack of injury. That said, do take advantage of it to try to move around a little, straighten up, etc.

I can't speak to making the scar better-- I used maderma, which was OK, but I am not the best at taking care of myself when things are hectic. I was pregnant w/ twins 18 mo after ds was born. At that point, all bets were off for a nice belly, lol.

stephanie

bubbaray
05-28-2007, 10:46 AM
I've had both an epi and a spinal and had a cathether post surgery with both. IIRC it was 12 hrs with both. Not sure if the catheter is hospital policy or what. I was up and walking before the catheter was out with both, though. Just had my IV pole with catheter attached following me!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

KrisM
05-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Listen to your body. Everyone heals at different rates. I walked 2.5 miles when DD was 8 days old - pushing a double stroller. Lots of people thought I was nuts, but I was fine.

I do think doing things, without wearing yourself out is good. Walk if you can. Sitting around and resting all day will probably make recovery longer. But, don't do so much that it wears you out either. You have to find the right balance.

Congrats!

muskiesusan
05-28-2007, 06:24 PM
My midwife told me to walk down the steps backward (doesn't pull on the incision) and when picking up your older child, to sit down, pull them up from your side and then stand up. Of course, you shouldn't do this stuff at all, but she understands that as moms, we can't always do what were are suppose to do!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

Jen841
05-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Take a shower daily - just makes you feel better
Change #1's diaper on the floor so you don't lift
Cold compress... my best friend for WEEKS. I confess to being crazy in love with cold compresses (like the Dad in My Big Fat Greek wedding was about Windex)
Seriously, stairs only 1-2 times a day r-t
DON't OVER DUE IT, I lifted a laundry basket and paid for it

This is your time to be a Mom, but you don't need to be a hero. Do what you feel you can, and if you are not sure don't do it.

I did not try to hide the scar, no tips there. War wound in my eyes. I still will occassionally feel my scar, and he's 20 months old. Random times. No one told me I would experience that.

Congratulations and good luck with the recovery.

bisous
05-30-2007, 01:49 AM
Wow. You must be really fit! Good for you! I couldn't have done that 8 WEEKS after my C-section but reading through this post makes me realize why. I didn't walk at all and just really babied myself. My recovery took a long time and was really hard. It is good to hear stories like yours. :)