PDA

View Full Version : Do you use fabric softener?

deborah_r
05-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Just curious. I hate the filmy feeling it leaves on my hands when I fold the clothes, but for some reason I cannot bear the thought of NOT using it. However, I just washed Kai's baby clothes to get ready for the new arrival and I did not use fabric softener and they felt fine.

I've just always hated any static at all in my clothes, which is why I always use it.

scout123
05-28-2007, 08:08 PM
I voted no, never b/c I use the dryer balls. I love them for the fact that there are no chemicals or sheets to add to the trash.
Angie

SnuggleBuggles
05-28-2007, 08:11 PM
I don't use the stuff in the wash but I use dryer sheets. I have been meaning to pick up a dryer ball instead though- no residue on the clothes, reusable...

I only use them for static reasons. Our clothes are just fine softness wise for me.

Beth

tarabenet
05-28-2007, 08:16 PM
I use to like the smell of it, but I have never liked that vaguely greasy feeling the siicone leaves. And I'm just not sure I care for having that stuff next to my skin all day, frankly. But most of all, I hate the way fabric softener kills the absorbency of my towels. I was having to run special vinegar stripping washes regularly, just to make my towels work. I use a pair of funky blue dryer balls instead, to cut down on static.

A service tech told my mom she needed to scrub out her dryer's lint trap regularly with detergent and a scrub brush, to maintain the air flow and avoid a dryer vent-hose fire. If I ever missed the softener sheets, that took care of that!

ellies mom
05-28-2007, 08:27 PM
I use the liquid stuff on my regular clothes. I don't use it on my workout clothes because it can effect their "wicking" ability.

o_mom
05-28-2007, 08:43 PM
We pretty much stopped after DS1 was born. I think I still have the same bottle from 4 years ago. After washing his stuff and the diapers without it we realized we didn't need it. 99% of our clothes are cotton, so there is little or no static and they always seem to be plenty soft. The only things with static are the microfiber towels in the diaper load and you can't used fabric softener on the diapers anyway.

elliput
05-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Not anymore. I had stopped using softener on my towels several years ago, and when my last box of sheets was used up I switched to dryer balls. I do have to check DH's shirts for cling-on socks, but it really isn't that big of a deal.

shilo
05-28-2007, 09:10 PM
title says it all...

TIA,
lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

tarabenet
05-28-2007, 09:16 PM
LOL! I see them at Bed Bath and Beyond and even Target all the time. They are blue plastic balls with spikey things all over. They cut way down on static, although they don't eliminate it completely. And because they bounce around in the dryer and beat the clothes, they seem to help with drying time and cut down on wrinkles too. They aren't expensive. Maybe $10? I bought mine at a quilt show a few year ago, before they were in the regular retail market. They are great.

Edited for some truly bizarre typos!

shilo
05-28-2007, 09:36 PM
thanks benet! i'll go scavenging at BBB/LNT this week and see what i can find. who knew? (alot of you apparently, just not me, lol).

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

s7714
05-28-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm in the process of phasing it out. I bought a set of the dryer balls a couple months ago and have been using those. I might still keep a little bottle of fabric softener on hand for the items that are hang dry only and delicate fabric.

I'm still questioning using the dryer balls because one of them got caught in one of my DDs cotton play pants during drying. It left the bottom three inches of the leg really stretched out and marked with dots where the bumps were. It took two washings to get the marks out completely. Out of many, many loads of laundry that's only happened once, but it still makes me nervous.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

kijip
05-28-2007, 11:08 PM
No, I don't. I am sensitive to soaps, dyes, fragrances and the like- certain detergents give me a mild rash so I never have used any extras that were not needed.

Marisa6826
05-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Maybe you're using too much? I only use about half as much as the manufacturer recommends.

The only wash I don't use it on is down comforters and any polar fleece I wash.

We just switched over to the Method softener from Downy advance. I'm still not sure about it, but I liked the idea of less chemicals.

I know that some of the Mamas here use vinegar instead of fabric softener. Maybe try that or just use a dryer sheet instead?

Good luck

-m

deborah_r
05-29-2007, 12:03 AM
I may be strange, but I actually feel like the dryer sheets leave more residue on the clothes than the liquid fabric softener. I think I'm going to go FS free for a while and see how I get by. I think I will add a dash of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap for scent.

DH, DS and I all seem to have somewhat sensitive skin so I don't know why I haven't thought of this earlier! Also where we live now, I don't notice static as much. I grew up in New England, and absolutely could not tolerate static in my clothes in winter when the air was dry.

caleymama
05-29-2007, 06:29 AM
I use a downy ball 1/4 to 1/2 way filled with vinegar, depending on what load it is. In our old house the washer had a fabric softener dispenser so I just poured the vinegar in there. I don't have huge issues with static and don't use the dryer for fleece or other fabrics that dry quickly. I guess I'd rather have static while folding clothes than use fabric softener (I'm very sensitive to fragrances and chemicals). I had also heard that liquid fabric softener can be very hard on a washer.

The dryer balls sound interesting, though.

brittone2
05-29-2007, 06:48 AM
never. On the rare occasion I want to do something to soften, I add a little vinegar to the rinse cycle for towels or similar. 95% of the time I don't use anything.

JBaxter
05-29-2007, 06:52 AM
We are a dryer ball family also ( ok when Nathan hasnt taken them LOL) Im also a die hard Charlies Soap fan.

Radosti
05-29-2007, 07:49 AM
Well, I love the scent of Downy, so use about 1/3 of the cap it comes with in a big load. I then dilute it with water to fill up the dispenser. I also have two dryer balls that live in the dryer unless Aaron has absconded with them. I picked them up at BRU, they were more expensive, but I had a bunch of BRU coupons, so they ended up cheaper. And they are pink. The downside to having light colored ones is that they pick up colors from the dark clothing. So, all the knobbies are almost black now at the tips. Oh well. It all works well together.

roysmom
05-29-2007, 08:28 AM
I use dryer sheets all the time. Bounce for me and DH, snuggle for DS. Someone told me that liquid FS destroyed whatever made children's clothing flame resistant. Anyone heard of this? I clean the lint filter in dryer with detergent and a scrub brush about once a month, but am now considering dryer balls after this post. I am wondering if Wal-Mart will have them, think I will check that out.

JustMe
05-29-2007, 09:05 AM
No, my mother did'nt and I don't/

Robyn

Fairy
05-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Yes, thank you. Like the Diva Cup, I figured, great, another consumer product out there that I read about here and went, "huh?" I'll look into the dryer ball. We're on a well, so the water is super-hard. We have a softening system, but a) it doesn't do a great job, and b) the water smells mineraly, so I really need something to help things smell good. I like fabric softener and use it with every wash. will look into the balls tho.

This all sounds vaguely dirty . . .

missym
05-29-2007, 09:45 AM
We have out-of-control static for some reason, so I always use fabric softener. I used to use sheets, until I saw a tip to spray a washcloth with diluted liquid softener and toss that in the dryer. It works great, it's cheap, and I can control the amount of softener I use.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

http://bf.lilypie.com/r2Qhm4.png

sweetpea
05-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Never. I use vinegar in the first rinse and either dryer balls ( http://www.nellieslaundry.com/Dryerballs.html ) or these cloth static sheets for delicate items ( http://www.staticeliminator.ca/page/page/363949.htm). I'm not sure that those cloth sheets really do anything but I find I only get static if I really over dry things.

kcimato
05-29-2007, 06:25 PM
I use Charlies Soap and there is no reason to use a softener. The more you use it the softer the close become.

tarabenet
05-29-2007, 09:51 PM
>This all sounds vaguely dirty . . .

ROFLMBO!

maestramommy
05-29-2007, 11:23 PM
I used to use it all the time, but since going relatively fragrance free in our house, I can't stand the strong perfume. Also, it seems to leave a film on the clothes that gets on my hands, and I can even taste it.

We use tennis balls in our wash to soften clothes. Works pretty well!

bisous
05-30-2007, 01:26 AM
Wow, this is so interesting. Honestly, I CANNOT stand touching freshly dried laundry that has not been "softened". Particularly towels. I have been known to drop everything and run to the store to get fabric softener if we're out. It is one of my biggest peeves. :)

MelissaTC
05-30-2007, 11:28 AM
I know what you mean. I can't live without it. I use very little and dilute it to fill the dispenser. But I LOVE my Downy Simple Pleasures Vanilla & Lavender!!!!!