PDA

View Full Version : A question for those who had c/s for breech....

MegND95
05-29-2007, 11:42 AM
My first baby was born by c/s for breech position. My OB's were a group of young Navy Dr's who really, really wanted me to try a vaginal breech delivery. In fact, several of them called me a home to pressure me into at least trying one, as one argued "We never get to see these types of births." Anyway, I opted for a planned c/s and felt (and still do) quite comfortable with my decision.

We did attempt an external version to flip the baby, but it failed. Aside from that, not one of the many, many OB's I saw mentioned any other methods to possibly turn the baby. At the time of that pg, I was among the first of my peers to have a baby, and did not have many of the IRL and online resources that I do now. Since then, I have learned of many other safe techniques used to try and turn breech babies. I would've tried just about anything to her her head down, but I just didn't know, and am frustrated that my providers did not offer me more alternatives to avoid surgery.

So my question is this: Did your OB/MW tell you of options, other than ECV, that might help your baby turn? Did you find information on your own about turning a breech?

Ultimately, my baby was born healthy and I was able to have two successful VBAC's after her birth. But I am curious about what other women faced when in a similar situation.

LarsMal
05-29-2007, 12:50 PM
My 2nd pregnancy was a planned c/s for breech. The only option my OB gave me was ECV, and she didn't really even want me to try that. In my case, though, my placenta was up very high and my fluid levels weren't great, so she thought it was more of a risk than anything. She did tell me that some insurances require it, though, to try to avoid the cost of surgery. In the end I went into labor a week before my scheduled date, and any attempts for ECV were out the window at that point.

I actually got a lot of info here on these boards. There were many helpful mamas out there who gave me great advice and support. They had tips on trying to turn her, as well as several websites to check out. I didn't end up trying too many of them, though, because I was nervous about the whole placenta/fluids issue. There were some great resources, though.

I am glad to hear that you had two successful VBAC's after your c/s. *IF* we decide to have a third, I'd like to keep that option open.

kijip
05-29-2007, 01:12 PM
My sibling is having a planned c-section for a breech baby in 2 weeks. They have no plans for further children and know first hand the risks of breech delivery (my sibling has cerebral palsy as the result of birth injury- so they just fell into the "no chances with breech" camp which I understand). Their doctors were pretty gung-ho on giving them ideas for flipping the baby but they decided planned c-section was best for them. The doctor actually cautioned them against the external version but offered up information other techniques (like swimming).

mcdonald29
05-30-2007, 12:56 AM
We had a successful ECV with DS1 (Army Dr's) but no other options were really presented to us other than waiting. Interestingly, I don't think breech vaginal delivery was ever mentioned either.

I have an acquaintance who successfully did the feet raised on ironing board method, but I don't know if that was OB recommended or her own research.