PDA

View Full Version : Purchased a personalized shirt- does it look weird to you?

cdlamis
05-29-2007, 09:00 PM
** Update- I emailed the owner and explained my feelings and asked if I could purchase a new one. I made it clear that I was not complaining and that I just was thinking of something different. She offered to make a new one for me at no cost. She is SO sweet!
Thanks for ALL the replies. It really helped!

------------------------------------------------------------------
I am posting it here so the seller does not see it (I would hate to hurt her feelings). I bought a tank top for my girls through a group discount that I arranged. The items are SO cute and I was so excited to get them but one of the shirts looks a little weird to me. It is personalized with the just the initial J and to me, the J does not look right (not curled at the end) and not too cutesy looking. It is for my daughter Julia who asked for a 'J' shirt so I wanted it to look right.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z60/dlamis/IMG_3511.jpg

So.... does anyone agree with me? I need to know before I say anything to her. I feel so bad since its not really incorrect or faulty, maybe its just my preference?

Thanks SO much!

*For anyone that placed an order with her, the quality is great and the other initial tank looks fine!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6/02
and Bella 12/04
"http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif"

Corie
05-29-2007, 09:10 PM
I have to agree with you. It doesn't look like a "J" to me! I would prefer
a more curved letter.

But, unfortunately, I don't think you can do anything about it. If it were me,
I would just suck it up and keep it and not say anything to her.
She didn't do anything wrong. She just picked a "J" that she liked and unfortunately,
you do not. It's too bad that you could not have seen the letter style before
you bought it.

It still is a very cute shirt!

Kungjo
05-29-2007, 09:28 PM
It would have been nicer if the "J" looked a little fancier or something, but if there is really nothing wrong with it other than you not liking it, you might just have to keep it.

Does Julia like it? If not, maybe you can Ebay it if you don't want to keep it?

lilycat88
05-29-2007, 09:54 PM
I don't like the "J" either but if I chose to let her pick the letter style, I'd feel like I had to live with it. It doesn't really look like a "J". I'd me more irritated by the poor quality of the edges of the letter. Fraying isn't ok to me.

buddyleebaby
05-29-2007, 10:00 PM
>I don't like the "J" either but if I chose to let her pick
>the letter style, I'd feel like I had to live with it. It
>doesn't really look like a "J". I'd me more irritated by the
>poor quality of the edges of the letter. Fraying isn't ok to
>me.

That's the style of the shirt. The edges are deliberately left raw and allowed to fray. (According to the description on her website).

To the OP, I think it is a cute shirt and recognizable as a "J". Not the prettiest J for a little girl, but a J.

Tondi G
05-29-2007, 10:07 PM
I would email the seller and tell her that you were hoping for a Curvier "J". That it is just kinda plain and boring as opposed to the other letter shirt you ordered. Is there any way she could change/fix it for you to a font that you like? It can't hurt to ask. I'll bet she would rather know you were not satisfied with your purchase and would like to have the opportunity to make it right! I do agree with you that it is kinda plain, doesn't curl enough!

Good Luck

~Tondi

KBecks
05-29-2007, 10:47 PM
I am honestly more bothered by the way the fabric looks frayed at the edges. I haven't purchased much handmade stuff, but I wonder about the durability given that raw edge.

I do see what you are saying about the choice of font / letter shape. That didn't bother me though, and I kind of like the simplicity of it and how it lets the fabric pattern stand out.

The fabric /colors are very nice!

DebbieJ
05-29-2007, 10:53 PM
I would expect the J to have more of a curl to it. I would ask her to redo it.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

s7714
05-29-2007, 11:06 PM
I agree. IMO it's pretty obvious it's a J, but if you'd like something different then let her know! I just wonder if it will start looking less like a J after a few washings and the edges fray up even more? That's what I'd be concerned about.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

Oregonmother
05-29-2007, 11:27 PM
I agree the shape of the J kinda looks off to me, it seems to taper a little at the tip. I would ask her to remake it if I we're you. It's not a piece that would take much time at all and I'm sure she would rather have a satisfied customer. I was looking on her website through the post in the bargains forum a few days ago and she has some adorable stuff. What else did you buy? Can we see pics? I was thinking of getting an initial tee and matching pants.

Wife_and_mommy
05-29-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm not crazy about the font either. I think you should see if she'll help you though. I'm sure it'd be minimal work on her part for a happy customer.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url] http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b4.lilypie.com/HSUwm4.png
http://b2.lilypie.com/UgAXm5.png

lilycat88
05-30-2007, 09:11 AM
ahhh...if that's what it was supposed to be then, that's what she got :-)

I'm a bit strange about frayed edges and such and rid my house of them regularly. So, I'll just keep my neuroses to myself. :)

Ceepa
05-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Hmmm. For the price ... I just don't know about that shirt. If you don't like the letter, she'd probably make another one for you.

-Ceepa

BeachBum
05-30-2007, 11:18 AM
IMO it would be rude to complain about the font of the letter when you already got a discounted shirt.
I think it's cute.

californiagirl
05-30-2007, 11:23 AM
I made a bunch of raw-edge shirts this spring, and one of them turned out to be a big favorite for its owner. It's still going strong. The raw-edge thing may or may not look OK to you, but it's not a durability problem as far as I can tell (we have one at home that's probably been washed a dozen times already, and it stopped fraying any more after the first.)

Ceepa
05-30-2007, 02:38 PM
I don't understand why this would be rude. It's a business and I'm sure the owner would like to hear feedback; and if she can have a customer who is satisfied with service, that customer is more likely to buy again.

Also, the discount in this case shouldn't play a part in satisfaction.

-Ceepa

newmomto3kids
05-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Before I read your post, but had looked at the picture, I thought "OMG, she put the L on backwards." It never even occurred to me that it was a J.
Good luck!

lizajane
05-30-2007, 07:46 PM
as a business owner who makes similar items, i would say tell her. i would MUCH rather have a customer tell me that she wanted something a little different than be unhappy. i would make sure the customer was thrilled so she would tell everyone else in the world about my biz. see what i mean? in my professional opinion, that shirt was very inexpensive and the applique took VERY little time. it would be worth it to me to replace it, considering the material cost was probably so low.

(and just to vote on the fray issue... i prefer clean lines, but i do know that the frayed look is "in" and intentional.)

egoldber
05-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Personally I think its cute as is, but if you don't like it, you should tell her.