PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing Question

needurhelp
05-30-2007, 02:44 AM
I'm posting this anonymously because I am a regular on this board and need help with an embarrassing question.

I have discolored areas on my neck (sides and back) and under my arms. They look darker than normal, and makes me very selfconsious. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas how I can get rid of these dark areas? I've scrubbed like crazy but it's still dark. I can't wear my hair up anymore because you can see it on my neck. Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sillygirl
05-30-2007, 06:47 AM
Do you have diabetes, or a weight problem, or PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome)? The type of discoloration you're describing can be commonly seen with those problems. It's a pigment change, not dirt, so scrubbing won't help. I think your best bet might be to go have a complete physical exam and some bloodwork. The problems listed above can be present without many symptoms. If nothing shows up, you can get a referral to a dermatologist for further evaluation.

brittone2
05-30-2007, 06:50 AM
What you are describing can sometimes be a sign of PCOS and/or insulin resistance called acanthosis nigricans. PCOS can go hand in hand with insulin resistance, or you can have insulin resistance alone. I have PCOS, but don't have AN (yet). I'm not saying that's a definite diagnosis or anything, but it is something you definitely want to check into with your doctor. If it is PCOS, it is important to get diagnosed since PCOS can have long term health problems and is thought to be way underdiagnosed by many people.

The best way to determine if you have insulin resistance is a 3 hour glucose tolerance test WITH insulin levels (make sure they do both).

You may want to also consider if you have any other signs of PCOS. It is a syndrome and you only need 2-3 symptoms to be diagnosed. Common ones are: infertility/irregular periods/cycles longer than 35 days, anovulation, acne/oily skin, being overweight, gaining weight in your abdomen more easily, skin tags, hair on upper lip, chin, etc., acanthosis nigricans, cysts and or elargement of the ovaries, thinning scalp hair, high blood pressure/high cholesterol.

The confusing thing is that many docs look for many of those signs, and really, you only need 2-3. I had a hard time getting diagnosed because my primary signs are just anovulation and infertility. Only after I was checked did we know I had cystic ovaries, and even then my OB/GYN didn't want to diagnose me because I don't have a lot of the other external symptoms.

They can do a panel of bloodwork to also check your androgen levels: free and total testosterone, DHEA-S, etc. They should also check your LH/FSH ratio, rule out thyroid problems, and especially if you have Acanthosis Nigricans, test you for insulin resistance.

You might need to print out information for your OB/GYN because in my experience from hanging out on PCOS boards when I was trying to get diagnosed, it can be tough to get diagnosed unless you are seeing an RE. Some OB/GYNs are great at picking up on it, but many are not, especially if the woman only has 2-3 symptoms.

ETA: sorry, I cross posted with Sillygirl :)

Lynnie
05-30-2007, 08:10 AM
ok, although i feel like a hypochondriac - what do these dark spots normally look like ?? I have developed some on my neck, too, mainly behind and below my ears, and thought it was just getting old or something, like the couple of "age spots" popping up on my face.

I have my physical in a week, I guess I'll ask.

Hey, maybe THAT'S why I gained weight, and it has nothing to do with eating junk food !

Sillygirl
05-30-2007, 08:30 AM
pak

they don't look like age spots.

do a google image search on acanthosis nigricans - lots come up right away.

Lynnie
05-30-2007, 08:43 AM
sh#t, i'm just old !

and chubby !!

ETA: I am not trying to make light of a medical condition that can cause serious trouble, I am poking fun at myself for (a) being a hypochondriac, and (b) looking for ways to lessen responsibility for gaining a couple pounds and wanting to look younger. I hope i do not come across as insensitive !