PDA

View Full Version : Northwest airlines 1/2 price under 2 years old???

DrSally
05-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Forgive me, I know this has undoubtedly been answered somewhere, but which airlines still do the 1/2 price for under 2 years old. My husband booked our tickets on Northwest online, and refused to check into it b/c he didn't think such a thing could exist. I vaguely remember someone saying that if you book online, it doesn't show up as an option and you have to call in to request it.

On a related note, is there any type of tray you can attach to a convertible carseat for DS to be able to play with things on the airplane?

TIA!

juliasmom05
05-30-2007, 10:09 AM
I got a 1/2 price ticket for DD on NWA a couple of months ago and I think I booked it on Expedia.

Marci

DrSally
05-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Thank you! I will tell my husband.

ETA: Very weird! DH said he did call them and they said "we used to do that, but we don't do it anymore".

juliasmom05
05-30-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm sorry. They must have just changed their policies as we just flew in March with a half-price ticket. I guess I'm not sure who has half priced tickets anymore :(.

Marci

HannaAddict
05-30-2007, 05:45 PM
That is strange. They offered an infant fare for under two year old with own seat about a week ago when we were getting quotes for trip to Maui next winter. We actually went with Hawaiian Air, that doesn't offer infant fares, since they had great non-stop flights and cheaper tickets so the difference wasn't that terrible. I would call myself and ask more questions, maybe they are out of infant fares on the particular route you want. Good luck.

Kimberly

tylersmama
05-30-2007, 06:28 PM
I've learned from a travel message board I lurk on that if you don't get the answer you want from the first agent you talk to, try, try again. Especially with all the outsourcing of call centers these days, a lot of the agents aren't well trained or just don't care enough to dig a little deeper and find out things for sure.

You may be able to get a more definitive answer at the NWA forum on the FlyerTalk message boards by doing a search or posting your question: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=497

DrSally
05-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the advice. I just called NWA, and the woman I talked to said they did have the reduced fare, but I'd have to call travelocity to get it. Spent 20 min on the phone with Travelocity while DH was feeding DS dinner. They said there is "no option" for booking a seat for under 2 year old. They assume you'll have them as a lap baby if they're that age, so, thus, I could not get the reduced rate?!!
I could go on about that phone call, but I want to end the evening on a happy note :(

I'll call back later and try to get a different person

maestramommy
05-30-2007, 09:10 PM
SWA does the 1/2 off fare, but it's half off the regular priced adult fare, and you have to call it in. What you can also do is check to see if any of the internet fares are cheaper than the under 2 fare, buy the ticket, then call in and say that seat is for a child, just so they can have it on record when you check in. We've done it both ways, and it works just fine. The half off fare is great in case the plane isn't full when you check in. Then you can get it refunded and take a free seat.

DrSally
05-31-2007, 06:24 AM
Seriously, you've gotten a child's seat refunded b/c there were open seats? Was it only with SWA?

amyff
05-31-2007, 10:06 AM
I had this problem last week but my DD will be 2 years, 1 week when we fly. I ended up finding some $100 off $400 or more discount codes online (I had to purchase them) and that saved us a little $.

HannaAddict
06-01-2007, 11:42 AM
If you have already purchased tickets via Travelocity, you might be out of luck this trip. :( I have never been able to get a reduced infant fare via a reseller like Expedia or Travelocity, but only through the airline itself and usually only by calling. I think there was only one airline that I could even buy the reduced infant fare online, it might have been NW. Good luck though.

Kimberly

spunkybaby
06-03-2007, 12:47 AM
According to this link, http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/infants.html, the infant fares on Southwest are fully refundable. Haven't tried it myself, but sounds very cool!

Mom to a spunky preschooler (3/04) and a new spunky Christmas baby (12/06)