PDA

View Full Version : hitch-mounted rear cargo rack

octmom
05-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Does anyone use one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Cargo-Carrier-Mounted-Basket-Hauler/dp/B000H1S7UM

I hate traveling with lots of luggage and gear piled up in the back of our Highlander because I know it would all become projectiles if we were in an accident. We have a cheapy rooftop carrier that is OK, but I don't love it. I don't want to invest in a really great one because we wouldn't use it too often. I wondered about using one of these hitch-mounted rear cargo racks instead. This one on Amazon is quite reasonably priced, but maybe there is something I should know about these things before I buy. Anyone have experience with them?

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

tarabenet
05-30-2007, 03:58 PM
DP
The thing is handy, but it doesn't need two posts! LOL

tarabenet
05-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Jerilyn,
different brand, but we have one and love it! Great way to haul stuff. We got two big storage tubs with tightly-sealing lids. They fill up the whole space so there's no sliding. We put the stuff in them, and then use ratching tie-downs in an X shape over the top to secure them. If we expect bad weather, sometimes we wrap a tarp around the tubs and tuck it in securely before we do the tie-downs. The tubs do a great job of keeping everything clean.

octmom
05-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks, Benet!

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

kdeunc
05-30-2007, 06:09 PM
We got one last summer and use it primarily for our coolers when we travel but it works very well. DH wanted some super fancy swing arm thing but I made him get the basic model and I think it was around $100. Money well spent.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-02-2007, 11:37 AM
we have one, and I wish it had the fancy swing arm thing! Once it is loaded, we can't open the back of the van at all. So it makes the cargo area of the van useless. I wish it could swing to allow the van to open.