PDA

View Full Version : Asbestos removal - anyone BTDT?

deenass
06-01-2007, 06:41 PM
We just discovered that the linoleum tile (under the carpet but glued to the hardwood floor) in my son's room contains 6 - 8% asbestos. We were hoping to remove the linoleum to expose the hardwood - but now I suppose we can't do that?

Of course, we chipped away at it a bit before we thought about the asbestos issue.

ANyone deal with this before?

ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

juliasmom05
06-01-2007, 07:14 PM
I feel your pain. We had asbestos tiles (VAT) removed from a room in the basement last year when we were replacing the carpet. We were originally going to just cover up the tiles but they couldn't remove the old carpet tact strips without breaking the tiles, so we had to hire someone to remove the tiles and scrape the glue off. Unfortunately its very expensive and its something you can't do yourself because its such nasty stuff. I think it was close to 4K to remove the tiles and glue from a 122 sq. room. Good luck.

Marci

Sillygirl
06-01-2007, 08:39 PM
You will want to talk with someone expert, but I'm pretty sure if you just cover the tile up, there's no problem. Maybe you can get some wood-look laminate flooring? Lots of those can go right over linoleum, and you can install them yourself.

kozachka
06-01-2007, 09:52 PM
As pp said you have two options, you can either cover the tiles up or have them removed by someone who specializes in this kind of work but it would be pricey.

megs4413
06-02-2007, 12:30 AM
it sucks doens't it? turns out our friends who sold us this house KNEW about it...which is actually against the law....

they covered over all of it, but when we had work done in one of the bedrooms the workmen found it....they just covered it over. but we have carpet throughout most of the house.