PDA

View Full Version : Any Grand Cayman travel tips?

Laurel
06-02-2007, 01:07 PM
We are going to spend a week at the Ritz residences at the end of June. Any BTDT travel tips? We will have two preschoolers in our party.

I'd love to know "must-do" places to go/see/eat, what childcare options might be like, any tips on the Ritz property and if the taxis will have seatbelts appropriate for carseats.

TIA!

Laurel
06-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Just trying again...

fivi2
06-05-2007, 10:50 AM
We went to Grand Cayman over Christmas with my (then) 12 month old twins. However, I have little helpful advice because we stayed at a rental house and had rental cars. We took our own carseats and installed them. There is a baby gear rental company on the island, but sadly, I do not remember the name.

The airport is pretty small with one place to get food (and the food options are very limited). So I would make sure to bring some snacks!

We only went to two restaurants and both were child friendly - casual bar type seafood places. We didn't use any outside childcare.

Not sure what side of the island you are staying on, but we loved the beach at Rum Point. It is a nice shaded beach (tons of trees), with a very shallow calm bay and a good little bar/restaurant. That was the only beach we went to (other than the rental house beach). Sorry I am not more help!

fivi2
06-05-2007, 10:50 AM
We went to Grand Cayman over Christmas with my (then) 12 month old twins. However, I have little helpful advice because we stayed at a rental house and had rental cars. We took our own carseats and installed them. There is a baby gear rental company on the island, but sadly, I do not remember the name.

The airport is pretty small with one place to get food (and the food options are very limited). So I would make sure to bring some snacks!

We only went to two restaurants and both were child friendly - casual bar type seafood places. We didn't use any outside childcare.

Not sure what side of the island you are staying on, but we loved the beach at Rum Point. It is a nice shaded beach (tons of trees), with a very shallow calm bay and a good little bar/restaurant. That was the only beach we went to (other than the rental house beach). Sorry I am not more help!

Laurel
06-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks! It really does sound like the kind of island where you just hang out where you are! We have a fairly long layover in Miami, so I will make sure to grab some food then. I can't wait!

Laurel
06-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks! It really does sound like the kind of island where you just hang out where you are! We have a fairly long layover in Miami, so I will make sure to grab some food then. I can't wait!

KBecks
06-05-2007, 11:47 AM
You can go to Hell while you are there, but it's pretty much a little tourist trap. Amusing for about 15 minutes though. You can send postcards from hell.

There's also a turtle farm we went to that has sea turtles. The preschoolers would probably like it. I don't remember the name of it right now though, but I'm sure your concierge will know.

We were only there for a day on a cruise ship stop, so these were part of one of our bus tours and we did Stingray City (which is fun, but preschoolers aren't old enough for it).

Have a wonderful time! Enjoy the beaches!

VClute
06-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Keep in mind that they raise the turtles for CONSUMPTION, so you may see a bulldozer full of turtles off to slaughter... If the kids aren't old enough to notice, though, I bet they'd get a big kick out of the little pools of turtles that you can pick up. GREAT photo op.

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and Abigail Rose, born 4/7/07