PDA

View Full Version : Wedding gift dilemma - help please!

ciaobella
06-03-2007, 04:25 PM
We went to a wedding last night and I waited until the last minute to purchase a gift and there was literally nothing left on the registry, well excluding the things WAY out of my price range! I ALWAYS buy off the registry so now I don't know what to do. I didn't bring a gift to the wedding as I figured I would buy it and send it to them while they are on their honeymoon.

So, do I just pick something I like and that I find useful (probably something for the kitchen) and include a gift receipt or should I just send a gift card?

We already bought them a set of their everyday glasses for a shower that we went to. Actually, I am not even sure what the rule is on giving multiple gifts for the shower(s) and the wedding.

Thanks for your ideas!

Lovingliv
06-03-2007, 09:56 PM
What about just a gift check? I would probably not get them anything that wasn't on their registry, cause if it's not there, they probably already have it or don't need it.

If you are opposed to giving money, than I would probably get them a gift card to one of the stores they registered in, or a really nice rester aunt.

fortato
06-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Cash is always good.

I think it was my favorite gift to receive...especially since we went to Hawaii on our honeymoon.
We got a lot of Visa gift cards..those are wonderful to travel with.

Years later, I am wishing I hadn't registered for vases and crap...I wish I had registered for cash.

DebbieJ
06-04-2007, 08:07 AM
Cash or gift cards are the way to go. Don't buy anything that's not on the registry.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Jen841
06-04-2007, 11:48 AM
I personally hate giving cash or gift cards, but that is me. Since they are married, you can give them personallized or monogrammed items. Pillow cases (Horchov), bath sheets or stationary with their joint monogram is a favorite. Sterling Cut Glass square platters are another favorite. They wrap things beautifully!

SummerBaby
06-04-2007, 01:23 PM
I definitely appreciated cash the most when I was married, and that's what we always give. Apparently this is a regional thing. If you don't want to give cash, my friend recently received a lilac shrub for her wedding, with a note that said it would bloom each year for her anniversary. I think something like that is nice, especially if the couple are into gardening.

Val
DD 2.5 years old
another summer baby coming in 2007!

almostamom
06-04-2007, 03:57 PM
If I can't give something from the registry, I usually give cash (especially if it's a family member). However, my DH's all time favorite gifts that we received were Home Depot gift cards. Granted, everyone knew we were building a house, but it was nice that there was a gift card that he could use. He didn't really care what the Macy's cards were used for, but he bought a new ladder, wheelbarrow, paint, and some other tools as well with the HD cards! :)

HTH,
Linda

Bean606
06-04-2007, 08:48 PM
I would just give them a gift certificate to the place where they registered, so they can pool a few and buy something expensive that they didn't get as a gift.

bubbaray
06-04-2007, 11:51 PM
I hate giving or receiving cash or gift cards, but that is just me.

What about monogrammed robes from Lands End or some other such place? Or monogrammed white towels? You can never have too many white towels. Or too many white robes, for that matter. LE takes stuff back even if its monogrammed, so you just tell them its a gift when you order.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

brittone2
06-05-2007, 06:50 AM
Another vote for cash :)

Technically I think you have a year to send a gift, so I wouldn't worry about them not getting it until the honeymoon or later.

brittone2
06-05-2007, 06:50 AM
Another vote for cash :)

Technically I think you have a year to send a gift, so I wouldn't worry about them not getting it until the honeymoon or later.

kijip
06-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Honestly, I don't think it is a problem to buy something off the registry or give cash. And one of my hobbies is reading old etiquette books and Miss Manners. :) Registries are not strict scripts that must be followed. Especially if you are including a gift receipt. Thoughtfully chosen surprises can be very touching. Our best baby gifts were not on our registry and the best wedding gifts were things we never would have thought to register for, had we registered at all.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)

ett
06-05-2007, 11:40 AM
I think it's fine to buy a gift not on their registry (especially since most of their registry has been bought), but cash or a gift card is also fine.

writermama
06-05-2007, 12:02 PM
In a similar situation with a friend I knew well, I picked an item in my price range that just reminded me of her (a simple, pretty silver bowl), included the gift slip and wrote in the card, "I hope you like this, but if it isn't your cup of tea, just think of it as a gift card that was more fun to unwrap."

As some of my favorite gifts for wedding and baby were off my registry, I have no problem with off registry gifts, as long as there's a gift slip. I also enjoy getting gift cards or cash, but never like to give them. Go figure.

saschalicks
06-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Off registry gifts are fine. I usually give money to family and gifts to others. For our wedding one of the best most thoughtful gifts wasn't on the registry. It was a picnic bag thing from Sur La Table. It had all you need to go on a picnic. To this day DH & I still think it was one of the most inventive wedding gifts. We liked it so much we give that a lot when not buying from the registry. HTH

gina
06-06-2007, 10:34 AM
I am always a fan of cash for weddings, especially considering the expense most people go to these days for a wedding.

I think it depends on how well you know the couple. If you know them well enough to pick out something, then that is great. If you don't, I would go for the gift card or cash. It would save shipping costs too.

The only other thing I can think of is something that anyone could use like a really nice Christmas ornament that has their wedding date on it.

I also find myself wishing I hadn't registered for that electric wok that I have used once in the past 3 yrs. However I still remember opening cards of cash and being so thankful knowing it would keep us from going further into debt on our honeymoon.

Gina

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/ginaelms/Dec06020.jpg

DD 15 yr Jade
DD 15 mo Olivia