PDA

View Full Version : How to get the cheapest shipping cost?

stefani
06-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how much does shipping cost for a few things to be sold on Ebay. For clothes, which are light in weight, it seems that the lowest price I got is $5 or $6 (priority mail / first class). That seems rather expensive to me. I see some Ebayers charging $2.50 or so. How can I get that low price? (It is not media, so technically I cannot send it using media mail).

TIA.

hardysmom
06-17-2007, 10:23 PM
The cheapest, flat rate USPS Priority is 4.60. You can do several kid's items, under 1 lb, in a poly bag. That is my standard flat-rate b/c you can make insurance optional and it should arrive w/i 3 days.

I'm sure that parcel post is a little cheaper, but it just isn't as dependable and you have to buy the box. A lot of people eat a chunk of thier postage, or start bidding at a certain level to cover shipping.

Buyers don't really have a feel for real shipping charges. Occasionally, I'll get a snarky email about my shipping charges, which I ignore given that I charge the REAL cost w/ no fees. But then, they'll also gripe if it takes a week for their item to arrive. The new feedback system in which you give 1-5 star ratings for shipping charges and then for shipping time doesn't help. You are sort of in a Catch-22.

For larger items. like strollers. I always get the best rate from Fed Ex Ground.

stephanie