PDA

View Full Version : OT - How to find a good divorce attorney?

Jenn98
06-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Not for me! I'm looking for an attorney for someone who lives in the same state but does not live near me and is afraid to search with her computer for fear of tipping off her H (even though she knows how to clear her history). I know word of mouth is a great resource, but neither of us knows anyone in that area who has gotten divorced recently (and she feels uncomfortable asking too many people for fear of tipping H off.) Any suggestions short of just picking a name out of the phone book? I really need a good attorney since this is likly to be very dirty and certainly violent. Truth be told, I will be really surprised if they are both still alive at the end. I believe he could really hurt her. :( Also, any tips on how to ge things in order quietly before she officially leaves? TIA

candybomiller
06-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Have any divorced friends? Personal recommendations are almost always best.

Jenn98
06-18-2007, 12:41 PM
No, that's where I'm stuck. Neither of us knows anyone in that area who has gotten divorced recently (and she feels uncomfortable asking too many people for fear of tipping H off.)

Puddy73
06-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Call your local bar association (should be in the phone book under "CITY X Bar Association" or "COUNTY X Bar Association") and ask for a recommendation. Since violence is a possibility, you might also check with your local women's shelter. They probably know an attorney who could at least try to get a TRO.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

cmo
06-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Maybe one of us could get a local referral for your friend. What city/state are you in?

-Chris

kijip
06-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Plan to leave:

http://www.peoples-law.org/domviol/safety/e%20DV%20Safety%20Plan.htm

A womens' or family law resource group/non-profit will be the best jumping off point for an attorney referral. She wants someone with experience with domestic violence cases. This is imperative. A good divorce attorney and a good attorney for divorce with domestic violence issues are two *very* different things.

Much luck and well wishes to your friend.

If she fears that violence will ensue after she leaves, she can file a no contact protection order. In many states, this can be issued at the same time one files for divorce, included on the same paperwork. That way, he would get served both at once. She should be somewhere safe when he is served.

Jenn98
06-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Metro Detroit. I would *love* a referral if anyone has one. TIA!

trales
06-18-2007, 03:34 PM
I sent you an email with some information and a referral. Good luck.

Tracey

Mom to Frances 11 weeks

boogiemom2
06-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Sorry, I don't have any referral help for you but......

I have no idea if this is true but....... a friend who is going thru this now told me that someone told her to get referrals and then meet with ALL of the attorneys that were recommended because then her DH couldn't hire any of them. Maybe a possible conflict of interest thing? I don't know.

I can't imagine dealing with a situation like this and I wish your friend the best of luck.