PDA

View Full Version : When would you want to have lunch at an 11-1 b-day party?-Update on what we did (worked well!)

SnuggleBuggles
06-18-2007, 09:13 PM
So, we decided to eat around 12:15. Other parents really liked it b/c their kids got hungry a bit before that and ate good size portions of the fresh fruits and veggies I had out. Had the pizza been there 1st they probably wouldn't have made their way to that good stuff. I will do this kind of scheduling again. :)

I am trying to come up with the schedule for ds' birthday party and can't decide the best plan. I'm thinking play, maybe 1-2 organized games, lunch, cake, presents and more play if time? Sound good? It's mostly a family (adult) party and 3 of his friends and their families. Not going to run like a traditional "kid" party. More of a relaxed get together that happens to be for ds' b-day.

Would you wait till 12-12:15ish to eat or would you eat earlier? Lunch then play then come back together for cake?

I think I wrote down my schedule from last year's party. I'll have to see if I can find it. I have no idea why this is causing me trouble this year! The baby is stealing my brain, I think. :)

Beth

C99
06-18-2007, 11:10 PM
I would have lunch and then cake toward the end of the party.

stella
06-18-2007, 11:10 PM
lunch/brunch at 11, play, then have cake and presents!
You could have mini-quiches, finger sandwiches, chicken or pasta salad, and it would not be expected to be as elaborate or filling as a noon-hour lunch.
JMO!

miki
06-19-2007, 07:32 AM
I would have the food set out and ready for people to eat as they felt like it. Then save the cake for the second half of the party.

August Mom
06-19-2007, 09:03 AM
I don't think it really matters. I would do what is easiest with regard to the food. I have these family with a few friends parties (haven't had a "kid party" yet) and generally eat after everyone gets there. Then, we either play or have the cake right then and then play (and I usually show a slide show of DS's year). Then, we open gifts and people leave.

If you are having any food that needs to be hot when served, I'd probably eat right away because it will be easier to time.

npace19147
06-19-2007, 10:01 AM
We just did this exact time for DD's 3yr party. We invited four friends and their families.

We did a Curious George "theme" b/c she loves George. We had George printouts from the website for the kids to color when they got there, then when everyone was there we read a few CG stories. One was George and the Pizza, and then we made little pizza's. This all took until about noon, and then the kids ate their little pizzas that I had put in the oven and we had a few pies for the adults. That all took about 15 - 20 min, then we did the cake, which took about another 15 - 20 min, then the kids played for a while longer with all the toys we have around and then everyone left.

It was very nice and laid back, and everyone seemed to enjoy it more than the big crazy parties, IMO. We didn't do presents b/c I'm not crazy about that and I think they're still young to understand that all the presents are for the birthday child, but YMMV of course!

The best thing I did was be relaxed about it - it's just a few hours, enjoy it!

Wife_and_mommy
06-19-2007, 10:19 AM
I'd do food at the beginning too. I've felt like I'm eating and running if the food is served much later.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url] http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b4.lilypie.com/HSUwm4.png
http://b2.lilypie.com/UgAXm5.png

SnuggleBuggles
06-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the thoughts! This is the 1st year I am not cooking for the party. I am doing the big old cop out of ordering pizza. I just am uninspired this year. I think that we'll probably wind up doing eating starting around 12:15. I'll have snacks and drinks out before then.

This is also the 1st year I have put an end time on my invites. I shouldn't have. I love parties that just flow. I did tell everyone that they were welcome to stay past 1 but I would try and get the official stuff out of the way before 1 in case anyone needed to leave.

I loved the party that started at 11 one morning and went till 9pm. That was ds' 3rd b-day party. A group of out of town-ers got a late start and showed up at 3, just when everyone else was leaving. So, some extra people stayed around after all and the out of town-ers actually bought pizza for us all for dinner.

I know it will all work out. I am usually just so much more organized than this and it is driving me batty that the clock is ticking and I have so much left to do!

BTW, if anyone has made the Waterpark cake from Woman's Day magazine, let me know. It looks trickier than some of the others I have made and I could use tips. :)

Beth