PDA

View Full Version : WWYD - heard through the grapevine that friend had baby

firstbaby
06-19-2007, 07:19 AM
UPDATE: I did call her and congratulated her. I guess my post came across as hurt and NOT wanting to call her because of that. What I meant was that if she wanted her space or things have cooled so much between us, I didn't want to intrude on her time right now just because I had heard she had her baby. Make sense? Trust me, even through my youngest baby is a year, I haven't forgotten how hard the early days are :)

My mom calls me yesterday to let me know that one of my closer friends had her baby Sunday morning. My mom and her MIL are friends. Um, I haven't heard from my friend to know that she had her baby yet. Our friendship has cooled over the last few months but we still talk and get together on a regular basis. In fact, I just saw her Friday! So, WWYD? Do I wait to hear from her? Do I call her and congratulate her? I'm sure she has a lot going on right now (I think they leave the hospital today), but my DH called her minutes after our DS was born last year. I also don't want my hurt to taint what the "right" thing to do is. You ladies are much more objective than I am :)

deenass
06-19-2007, 07:39 AM
Honestly - I would call her and say CONGRATULATIONS! This is not the time to stand on ceremony with regard to a phone call ... life with a new baby is CRAZY!

My Dh sent out an email about our DS's birth and also including details for his bris - he forgot about 10 people - luckily I combed through the list a few days later and caught his mistake, but it was my "new baby" insomnia that even allowed that to happen - what I'm trying to say is that a lot of things fall by the wayside when you bring a new baby home - this isn't the time to let your feelings be hurt over not being called personally.

megs4413
06-19-2007, 07:46 AM
maybe they wanted some privacy in these first few days? or she was not comfortable enough at the hospital to have visitors? i'd send flowers or a gift so that she didn't have to deal with the phone call and that will serve as reminder to call her dear friend!

give her a break....she just had a baby! of course her MIL knows....she may have even figured that her MIL would tell your mom who would tell you....did you talk about how she would tell you before the baby was born?

pb&j
06-19-2007, 07:52 AM
I'd let it slide and just call to say congrats. She just gave birth - I don't know about you, but I was a shellshocked mess the first week. It took me 10 days to finally call/email some of my dearest friends. Give her the benefit of the doubt - I'm sure she's not sitting in the hospital nefariously plotting to exclude you.

buddyleebaby
06-19-2007, 07:52 AM
She's probably thinking "I know MIL told (your mom). What's taking her so long to call?"

LOL.

Call her!