PDA

View Full Version : Neutrogena Helioplex sunscreen

LarsMal
06-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Has anyone tried the Ultra Sheer sunscreen? I need to get better about putting sunscreen on daily- not just for the pool or beach. I can't stand the smell or weight of it, though, especially when it's just for daily stuff like the park or running errands.

Just thought I'd see if anyone has used it (or any other product they like) before I go spend money on it.

Thanks!

MarisaSF
06-20-2007, 10:47 AM
ooh- glad to see this post.
I have liked the Ultra Sheer sunscreen for a few years. I use it on my face every day. I had been getting the 45 SPF and have been happy with it.

Then I saw the Ultra Sheer 55 SPF at Costco.... it is the "Helioplex" version. For some reason, this type stings my face. I can put it on my body with no ill effects, however. I'm wondering if anyone else is sensitive to the Helioplex version?

mom2lm
06-20-2007, 11:20 AM
I just got the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer spf 70 (!) in my Allure Beauty Box. I love the texture and I can't believe how nice it smells, not like sunscreen at all. Mine does have helioplex and I haven't noticed my skin getting irritated. But my skin is weird, I can use cheap drugstore lotions and potions fine, but the expensive things I buy from day spas turn me bright red and burn my skin.
Amy, mom to Lucy and Maggie

JBaxter
06-20-2007, 12:07 PM
It broke Nathan and Connor out in a rash I use it and its fine.

Ceepa
06-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Both DC broke out in rashes after using this. At first it didn't seem to bother either one but then within a week, they both couldn't use it. I still have it for me (DH hates the smell and uses something else).

-Ceepa

gatorruth
06-20-2007, 12:38 PM
I went to my dermatologist and he specifically recommended Neutrogena's Helioplex products as well as products with avobenzone (Aveeno products, I think) and good old zinc oxide products. I have both the neutrogena and Aveeno and both feel fine and don't break me out.

Ruth

npace19147
06-20-2007, 04:09 PM
The problem is with the high levels of chemical sunscreeens they use to get the "helioplex" combination - it's that combo that provides both high UVA and UVB protection. Most US sunscreen provides ok UVB protection but not UVA, which does a lot of damage as well.

You could also try the Banana Boat Sunwear products, which use their "Avotriplex" combo, which is similar to the Neutrogena. I am fine with the Neutrogena, but the Banana Boat stings my face...it's all YMMV and impossible to know until you try it.

Any all-physical sunscreen will also provide some UVA/UVB protection, but it tends to leave that lifeguard white cast b/c of the physical blockers. Blue Lizard is in a lot of drugstores, and is a good option if the chemical blockers sting your skin.

If you have them near you, CVS has a great return policy if you try it and don't like it. HTH!

madteaparty
06-20-2007, 04:31 PM
I use a heavy, physical sunscreen for my face, but have heard great things about the Banana Boat line mentioned above, so wanted to second that rec.

shilo
06-20-2007, 04:41 PM
i'm using the new ultra sheer spray on this week in disneyland and i really like it. we've been using the fresh cooling (neut.'s other spray) for the last year and while i like both, i think i actually like the new ultra sheer better, whereas DH still likes the fresh cooling better. DH finds he gets fine coverage just spraying on - even over his typical 'guy' hairy legs and arms (he's a freckled redhead, so we'd know pretty much right away if it wasn't working). i on the other hand still seem to burn (i'm very fair and freckled but a brunette) unless i rub them in. not sure why that is so. i've also tried the aveeno spray on type with avobenzone uva/uvb coverage and like it the same as the fresh cooling. i our derm and my pedi both said it was fine to use any of the neut. products on DS since 6 mos., so that's what he's been using. i occasionally notice a tiny rash at the back of his neck if he sits a while and his shirt rubs, but otherwise, no problems with it - he's a very fair strawberry blonde with fairly sensative skin. i think the spf 30 versions we've used at home over the winter might not have the helioplex??? but the 45's we have with us definitely have the helioplex. we've been out in the sun all day yesterday except 2-4 for a nap and same today and none of us are burned yet.

fwiw, for my face, i typically do the spray on my finger tips and apply to my nose, tops of the ears and cheeks where i burn the most, but then just do my regular bare minerals spf15 over the rest of my face. we all pretty much always wear a sunhat rated for spf 30 or greater whenever we're outside. i really like the hats by scala and my current favorite - the 'casual traveller hat' by walaroo is cute, comfortable, provides great coverage and is spf 50 to boot. sunday afternoon makes great kids hats and DH seems to like columbia's best. i keep a hat for each of us in both cars and at home, it becomes a lifestyle pretty easily. they have great machine washable hats now that make it so easy.

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

jd11365
06-20-2007, 06:09 PM
I don't recommend these sprays for the beach or pool, but more for daily regular use. They offer more of a mist, and outoors can be blown away easily, so you don't get as deep of coverage as you would with a lotion or a stronger continuous spray.

That said, I love the Neutrogena products for daily use on my arms/legs/hands/feet. They are lightweight, not sticky, and don't smell like sunscreen. I use a moisturiser with SPF 30 for my face/neck.

Don't forget your feet, people! It's hard to apply when already at the beach and they are sandy, so put it on before you leave home. You should do that anyway to allow the sunscreen to penetrate, then reapply when you get there as best you can. PSA 'o the day. ;)