PDA

View Full Version : Do you get in the pool when AF is around?

wencit
06-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Sorry if this is TMI. I'm trying to decide what to do on Friday. I have to be at a pool party, but AF reared her ugly head this afternoon. I'm thinking about just sitting on the edge and dipping my toes in and having DS do the same, even though he loves the water.

So, what do you ladies do?

tarabenet
06-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Why not get in? Of course, I don't use pads, so maybe that is why it is a non-question for me? But AF sucks enough, without depriving yourself, not to mention putting up with DS being upset about it too.

Marisa6826
06-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Isn't that why they make 'tarpoons'? :P

-m

MamaMolly
06-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Yup, that's pretty much the only time I use tampax, so a box lasts forever for me. Er, TMI again? Sorry! :P

wencit
06-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Tee hee! Well, I'm a little embarrassed to say that I've never tried a "tarpoon" (LOL) in a pool. I've worn them before, just not in a pool. I keep getting images of water getting up there and...um...expanding it. Plus, I leak even when wearing one, so that kind of skeeves me out to be in a pool. Maybe I need to go up a size?

Judging from the results of this poll, though, it looks like I am the one of the few women on this board with this hang up!

kep
06-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Yep! I actually use the Diva Cup, so it's really not an issue.

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

Marisa6826
06-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Try getting a 'variety' pack. Seriously, they do exist. Since trying one, I found that not all sizes are effective for all days (I used to be under the impression that one size/absorbancy would do the job the entire time). I have three or four different boxes on rotation depending on when I might need them. Thank God the wrappers come in different colours - prevents any rude surprises. ;)

Oh, and unless you delivered a 35lb kiddo vaginally and lived to tell about it, no way water can get all the way up. :P

-m

wencit
06-21-2007, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the tip. Looks like I'll be running out to Target tomorrow.

JoyNChrist
06-21-2007, 12:27 AM
Sometimes...not usually the first or second day, because I'm just too bloated and crampy and b!tchy to want to do anything, especially parade around in a bathing suit (lol). But when I start feeling better, I'm all for swimming (I've found that water often helps cramps).

candybomiller
06-21-2007, 10:04 AM
Nope. I can't use tampons at all - TSS at 16.

alleyoop
06-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Wow, that must have sucked! I am sorry that happened to you.

candybomiller
06-21-2007, 04:27 PM
eh, I survived. :) At first, I wasn't even sure I had TSS, but the next month when I tried to use a tampon, I immediately had the same reaction. I tried again a couple of years ago and had the same reaction again. Tampons are just not for me.

tarabenet
06-21-2007, 07:04 PM
I think you had some other kind of a reaction. TSS is a potentially deadly disease. A friend of mine in college who had it was hospitalized for two weeks. It is one of those things that is such a big deal and so uncommon, that it gets reported to CDC. I reStmember when it was first identified publicly and connected with tampons -- it happened after several women died from it. It is why they quit making 12-hour tampons.

I am sorry you had whatever reaction you had, though. I once had a reaction to nonoxynol-9 (back in the days of "the sponge) that freaked me out big time. There are parts of your body that just aren't supposed to peel and shed, after all! But my OB/Gyn didn't even want me to come in when I reported it, because it was such a common thing. Just told me to stop using the sponge. I'm betting you had a similar reaction to a fragrance or other chemical in the tampon. Still gross and miserable, no question!

MarisaSF
06-21-2007, 07:14 PM
I had a swim meet on the very first day I ever got my period. My friend helped me figure out the tampon directions. :P A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.
I've never used pads except for post-partum.
Have fun!

Melanie
06-22-2007, 02:35 AM
Check out DivaCups...they are much better than tampons.