PDA

View Full Version : Can a countertop be relaminated?

wimama
06-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Can a countertops be relaminated?

My husband and I are buying a business and the counters are custom shapes and lengths. Can they be relaminated, rather than buying new counters?

Lynnie
06-21-2007, 08:19 PM
you could try having them professionally sprayed with enamel paint - the kind that they "paint" bathtubs with. A guy comes in wearing a space suit looking thing and does it in a day or two. When we first moved into our house, before we redid the kitchen, that's what we did to the old formica counter tops and the wood cabinets (as well as the bathrooms). It turned out really good, and was so much cheaper than getting new things.

ColorBlue
06-21-2007, 10:13 PM
They can be re-laminated but I doubt it would cost you much less than just getting new laminate countertops. Also because its re-laminated and goes essentially over the current laminate if that laminate is peeling or not stable then the job you do over it won't last. A countertop installer will come out and give you an idea of the costs of both...in my experience there was little difference.
Tracy

wimama
06-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Thanks I will definately hold off relaminating the counters then.

kellij
06-22-2007, 12:37 AM
I think you should just call someone that does it and ask them. We had ours re-laminated in my last house and it was really cheap, and it looked great. Plus, he sanded down some weird angles so they were rounded. I'm pretty sure he popped off the old laminate first, but maybe not. I would compare prices to new, but I would be really suprised if wasn't a lot cheaper.

JBaxter
06-22-2007, 01:32 PM
My mom just had hers re laminated. I will check what she paid but I think it was about 1/2 the cost of new counters. Hers wer still good structurely but the color was REALLY dated.

wimama
06-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Maybe I will look into it then. I think it would be expensive to replace because of the custom shapes of the counters.

Thanks