PDA

View Full Version : Is there a website to help analyze blood test?

chlobo
06-21-2007, 04:03 PM
I had my last round of blood work (normal blood workup) for this pregnancy and i just got hte results. Some of my levels are off a little so I wanted to read up on this before my appointment Monday with my doctor so I know what questions to ask.

Does anyone know of a website that can help interpret the results?

Sillygirl
06-21-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm trying to remember what a pre-pregnancy blood panel consists of.

Hematocrit, iron stores: google "anemia"
Hepatitis titers: search for Hepatitis B or C
HDL, LDL, TG: search for "cholesterol" or "lipids"

If you have some abnormal values on your metabolic panel, honestly, you are not going to find much on a website. Interpreting those takes into account an enormous number of factors and a fair amount of skill and practice. I would be very skeptical of a website that said they could "interpret" them. There's a reason medical school is still required to be a doctor.

Also, the normal ranges for a lot of those tests are for the general population, not pregnant women, and they're supposed to be "abnormal" if you're pregnant. So you can see it's more complicated than what the lab computer makes it out to be.

Bottom line, just have your doctor go over them with you.

megs4413
06-21-2007, 05:22 PM
i just looked at this yesterday...they also will do the whole HCG thing and the progesterone.

and of course, katie makes the excellent point that it will be hard for you to know what is a normal result for a pregnant woman. i hope your doc puts you at ease.

SnuggleBuggles
06-21-2007, 06:49 PM
My CNM was awesome at my 2nd prenatal at going over all the numbers, where I fall in the ranges... I knew most of them already but it was really cool to get a thorough breakdown there.

Beth