PDA

View Full Version : Do you read gossip?

Fairy
06-23-2007, 09:13 AM

megs4413
06-23-2007, 03:22 PM
i'm a PITNB junkie. i used to frequent the eonline forums, but i'm not as into it as i used to be. i also unashamedly love people magazine. i still have speculations about cruisazy's spawn!

elliput
06-23-2007, 03:40 PM
It seems that gossip is the new news. CNN and MSNBC seem to have a daily updates about Paris Hilton's jail stay. Is that really news worthy? Apparently, because it creates revenue.

egoldber
06-23-2007, 03:47 PM
This is my issue with celebrity gossip. In general I think its harmless fun (for us, not for the celebs...). But the fact that it seems to be replacing actual news content in supposed news outlets is what is disturbing to me. Sometimes it seems like people care more about whats going on with Paris Hilton than with whats happening to our economy, our schools, or with our foreign policy.

MamaMolly
06-23-2007, 05:09 PM
I love to fly because that is the only time I allow myself to buy all the cheezy hollywood gossip mags. Such fun! So trashy!
On a side note, I think they have gotten a nastier tone in recent years. It is kind of sad, cause it isn't as much fun for me when I think they are being petty and mean.

jenjenfirenjen
06-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Never read a gossip mag but I too am addicted to PITNB and Go Fug Yourself.

lizajane
06-23-2007, 07:11 PM
not enquirer or anything like that, but i love getting a hand me down People or US.

karolyp
06-23-2007, 08:31 PM
my thoughts exactly!! the coverage of anna nicole smith's death and her baby's genetic testing was insane!!!

Fairy
06-23-2007, 10:58 PM
And repugnant. Train wreck reporting at it's finest.

Fairy
06-23-2007, 11:01 PM
I can't stay away from thesuperficial.com and awfulplasticsurgery.com. And goodplasticsurgery.com. Trying.

kijip
06-24-2007, 01:33 AM
Well, I do read the cover of the Weekly World News if I happen to see it. You know the one that reads "Laura Bush's Alien Child found in Garden of Eden" or some such nonsense. I want that job. I want to write that newspaper. :P

However, I rarely see this stuff (including the more celebrity gossip ones) because I rarely am in a regular grocery. Most of our food comes from places that don't have regular magazine racks. So by default, no. That said, if I am in a regular grocery I suppose I fall into the second group. I am not ashamed of it. Still, I did not know about Angelina and Brad Pitt until I read it here and I think a poster did not believe me...but if you almost only shop at places like Costco, Cash and Carry, the co-op and Trader Joes, there are not many magazines to read. :P Still, like Erica pointed out that does not leave me uninformed now. I can find this stuff on NPR and in the WSJ now ;)

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)

sidmand
06-24-2007, 09:14 AM
No category for yes, I buy it, but I think it's complete and utter garbage? But for the most part I think it's fun. Sometimes it's actually true. Sometimes I don't even read certain things if they're too repulsive. I used to only allow myself to buy them at the airport, but then discovered that it was cheaper just to subscribe (well DH decided that). When DS was born, I figured I would need some trashy magazines to read and started actually subscribing (yes, Star Magazine comes to my mailbox every week!). Now I get People, Soap Opera Digest, Star Magazine, and Entertainment Weekly!

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

jgriffin
06-24-2007, 10:10 AM
He-llo! That's because the real news is boring and/or depressing! We're still at war, the climate is going to pot, and we've got a bunch of nutjobs in the White House and Congress doing who-knows-what with our taxes. It's no different from a year ago, so if I want real current events I check out how poor Paris/Lyndsay/that-other-girl are doing, or which stars have converted to which religions after having their alien babies. It's a no-brainer!
{sarcasm off}

(I get most of my gossip news here, and sometimes from the covers of the rags at the store.)

nak

C99
06-24-2007, 10:10 AM
>Pitt until I read it here and I think a poster did not believe
>me...but if you almost only shop at places like Costco, Cash

Costco has a decent-sized rack of magazines; they sell them for 30% off cover price. They just aren't in the check out lane like they are at Fred Meyer; reading without buying is much more deliberate/willful.

Most of my celeb gossip comes from discussions here; though I enjoy a good trashy mag read at the salon or doc's office waiting room.

kijip
06-26-2007, 02:41 AM
>Costco has a decent-sized rack of magazines; they sell them
>for 30% off cover price. They just aren't in the check out
>lane like they are at Fred Meyer; reading without buying is
>much more deliberate/willful.

I have seen the magazines at Costco but as you point out, I would have to intentionally stop and look at them. And while in Costco I am usually too busy keeping a certain small person from flat cart surfing to stand still, particularly long enough to read a cover. And none of the other stores we go to often have gossip magazines near the checkout stand. However, I did get to see the cover of the Weekly World News this week while buying sand paper at Fred Meyers :P

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)

Corie
06-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Debbie,

My husband says the same thing! If you are going to buy it every week,
then get a subscription!! It's alot cheaper that way!

Basically, he is enabling my magazine addiction. :)