PDA

View Full Version : My (alarmist) MIL recently told me about Lock Bumping. WWYD?

kep
06-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Here's the Wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_bumping

Lock bumping is a lock picking technique for opening a pin tumbler lock using a specially-crafted bump key. One bump key will work for all locks of the same type.

The is aparently "verified" by a police department. And, more importantly, Snopes verifies it to be true. ( http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/bumpkeys.asp )

So, WWYD? How much of a worry is this really? Would you really run out and buy brand new bump-safe locks? I tend to fall into the catagory that feels that if someone wants to break into your house, they are going to break in regardless of the measures you have taken. (If they are determined enough.)

Discuss, please.

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

elliput
06-23-2007, 03:34 PM
I agree with you, if someone really wants to get into your house, they will. When I was about 7 or 8 a house down the street was robbed by someone who knew exactly what they were doing (the family was out of town). The glass on the basement window in the backyard was cut with a glass cutter. One person went through the window and then let one or more others in. Maybe having an alarm system could have deterred the robbery from continuing, but it is doubtful.

lisams
06-23-2007, 04:13 PM
If we had cheapo locks than yes, I would be out getting new locks. We have Schlage, so I'm not worried.

miki
06-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Ditto. If you have windows accessible from ground level, they can always break/cut the glass and get in easily unless there are bars or gates behind the glass. When we lived in a NYC high-rise, DH did change the front door lock to one of the fancy Medeco locks with the funny looking key but the front door was the only way to get into the apartment.

kijip
06-24-2007, 01:49 AM
My locksmith friend is always careful to remind people that most locks just keep honest people honest. I had the cheapo locks here swapped out for higher security locks but that is merely making it a little harder not impossible. I mainly decided it was worth it because the original deadbolt could have been kicked in by just about anybody.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)

kellyotn
06-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Our local news did a story on this awhile back. Quite strange.

But, we WERE broken into last year and never did figure out the point of entry. When we got home, the front door was closed, but unlocked. Now, I'm wondering if we were lock bumped, it just adds up.

Nothing was taken, other than food. Our TV was left on a hip-hop channel and sofa cushions were all over the floor. It just looked like some kids came in and made themselves at home for the day. (A Friday, when a nearby district didn't have school......) They even loaded the dishwasher! It was a weird, weird deal.

We did install an alarm system. But, have since moved. We haven't decided about installing one here or not.