PDA

View Full Version : Shaving head = faster hair growth??

Java
06-25-2007, 05:34 PM
Has anyone tried this?

DD doesn't have a lot of hair and my family keeps telling me to shave her head. It's an old wive's tale but if everyone keeps telling me the same thing... maybe there's a thread of truth in it?

ellies mom
06-25-2007, 05:45 PM
It doesn't really help the hair grow faster but since you are basically starting over, more of it will be coming in at the same time so it looks thicker.

I didn't do it with DD because I loved her wispy little curls.

Java
06-25-2007, 06:38 PM
If Malia had wispy little curls, I would totally be against hauling out the clippers too. But... here's a picture so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. Both are of my kids at the same age: 12 months.

Left is Kael (who people kept mistaking for a girl) and right is Malia (who people keep calling a boy DESPITE being decked out in pink and flowers).

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1057/625504856_3e297c9b80.jpg

But you are right, her hair is growing in patches. The side and the back of her head hairs are longer than all the others.

Tondi G
06-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Awwww she is adorable! Personally I feel like if you shave her head she will look even more like a little boy. I'd just leave her hair alone and get her some cute girly hats and headbands! I don't think that shaving it makes it thicker.... it just makes it all the same length and it all grows together that way! Do you want to start from ground zero again???

Mommy Of A Little Angel
06-25-2007, 07:01 PM
She is really adorable! My DD is right around her age and has very little hair. Hers is blonde so it's even harder to see. I wouldn't shave it because I would feel like I was starting all over! I am afraid to even trim it because she has so little. Malia definitely looks like a little girl to me!

gatorsmom
06-25-2007, 08:12 PM
no real advice here. Just wanted to say that your children are absolutely darling!!!

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

Ceepa
06-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Your DC are adorable. My DD had very little hair at that age. And it's also curly so what little grew would just curl back up so there was almost no visible sign of growth. It definitely picked up after her first birthday.

I'd say if your DD's hair is slow-growing and wispy, making her start from square one isn't going to help. The hair follicles don't change production based on what you do with a pair of scissors.

-Ceepa

Globetrotter
06-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Sorry to tell you, but it won't make a difference. However, shorter spikey hair tends to LOOK thicker right after you shave it.
They're very sweet :)

Kris

jawilli4
06-26-2007, 07:11 AM
DH tried to do this, unbeknownst to me and right before DS's first birthday. He ended up mauling the poor little guys hair - he had bald strips before DS caught onto him and regular length hair after DS got the sense to protest. It was certainly patchy to say the least. After DH confessed (he still maintains he did this as a FAVOR to me and only because of a failure to communicate) we took him to a kid's haircut place to get it fixed. After the hairdresser stopped laughing (literally), she just shortened the rest of his hair. Two years later there is absolutely no difference in the amount, thickness, or quality of his hair.

HTH,
Jan