PDA

View Full Version : High School Musical, What do you think of it?

Pennylane
06-26-2007, 12:40 PM
My 5 1/2 yr old DD was introduced to this movie while at a friends on a playdate. She came home wanting to watch it again. I had never seen it before, so I taped it and watched it. I did not see a reason to not let her watch it again. It's rated G, no cursing or suggestive language, not even a kiss shown. Anyway, today she says to me "When I'm older I'm going to do the kissing on the face". I questioned her about why she was talking about that. She did not really say. Could she just be picking up that it is implied in the movie?? Does that make any sense?

If you have seen the movie, what do you think about a 5 yr old watching it? I don't want her to grow up too fast!!

Thanks,
Ann

SnuggleBuggles
06-26-2007, 12:42 PM
I have no problem with "HSM" for a 5yo. Kissing doesn't seem like a bad thing to me and they probably see that all over the place (maybe even with her parents :)).

Beth

Corie
06-26-2007, 12:56 PM
My 5 1/2 year old daughter loves High School Musical. We love the Soundtrack
even more!! Great songs! So great, I have 2 copies of it. One for the car
and one for the kitchen.

We can't wait until High School Musical 2 premieres on August 17th on
the Disney Channel.

momma_boo
06-26-2007, 02:07 PM
I think it's fine for a 5 yo.

There is probably more kissing in a Disney Princess movie, isn't there? (since every Disney Princess movie ends w/a kiss).

MartiesMom2B
06-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Marte likes it ok, but I'm the one in the house who really likes it. I don't think there is any kissing in it, I know that there is a hug in the end and they talk about dating. However most of the princess movies have kissing in it. My husband and I kiss each other in front of our kids too. Did she say anything that implied that the movie had anything to do with kissing or is it just a coincidence.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie & Mei

MartiesMom2B
06-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Marte likes it ok, but I'm the one in the house who really likes it. I don't think there is any kissing in it, I know that there is a hug in the end and they talk about dating. However most of the princess movies have kissing in it. My husband and I kiss each other in front of our kids too. Did she say anything that implied that the movie had anything to do with kissing or is it just a coincidence.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie & Mei

fortato
06-26-2007, 07:32 PM
The kids I used to take care of are 5 and 3, they watch it, and know every stinking song by heart...

I don't think it's bad at all... but, I can only handle hearing "I'm breaking Free" so many times before I want to shove my head in the oven.

fortato
06-26-2007, 07:32 PM
The kids I used to take care of are 5 and 3, they watch it, and know every stinking song by heart...

I don't think it's bad at all... but, I can only handle hearing "I'm breaking Free" so many times before I want to shove my head in the oven.

Pennylane
06-26-2007, 07:58 PM
I feel relieved that other moms are letting their young ones watch it. Her dad brought her home "High School Musical, the concert" on DVD tonight and she was heartbroken that it wasn't really Troy :)

Ann

ETA...I was kind of heartbroken too!

Pennylane
06-26-2007, 07:58 PM
I feel relieved that other moms are letting their young ones watch it. Her dad brought her home "High School Musical, the concert" on DVD tonight and she was heartbroken that it wasn't really Troy :)

Ann

ETA...I was kind of heartbroken too!

MelissaTC
06-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Hmmm...there is no kissing in it. No bad words, no innuendos...nothing. Matthew LOVES it!!! (and I secretly love it too and can't wait to see HSM2!!!)

CharmedOne
06-26-2007, 10:19 PM
I think it is fine. My 2 year old loves it, but then again he loves musical and dance numbers. I definitely look forward to HSM2!

Caroline

http://lilypie.com/pic/070603/vb1E.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/2Vyrm7/.png
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif 24 months

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev024pr___.png

candybomiller
06-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Add us to the list of people who can't wait for the second one! Right now HSM is Matt's favorite movie and he listens to the soundtrack all the time. However, it was my favorite movie first! ;)

jeminaal
06-28-2007, 01:52 AM
Add us to the list of HSM fans! My six-year-old DD and four-year-old DS love the movie and the songs. They often try to do the dance moves and they often sing the songs together using their toy microphones, LOL. DD and I are currently reading the HSM junior novel together for her nighttime reading and today we just bought tickets to the HSM Ice tour coming to our town in the fall. They're really excited about watching this...I am too, I must admit.

Getting back to answering the OP's question: I think it would be okay having 5-year-olds watching HSM. The only things my kids pick up on when they watch the main characters together are that the characters like hanging out w/ each other and are each other's "best friends." And as far as kissing goes, I can't answer whether kids would pick it up from watching HSM, but I do know that my kids watch DH and I kissing each other on the face often, so we would most likely be the reason why they said that than the movie, LOL!

I know what you mean about not wanting them to grow up too fast, though. I'm not looking forward to the preteen/teenage years. Yikes!

Jeanette
(formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
DS Born Valentine's Day

daisy1234
06-28-2007, 07:21 AM
Ok...please someone fill me in....what is this movie...I have never heard of this! Thankyou!

linsei
06-28-2007, 07:55 AM
I always miss it!

Linda

http://b3.lilypie.com/64MSm4/.png[/img][/url]

SnuggleBuggles
06-28-2007, 08:47 AM
I finally set a "wish list" on my Tivo so that it would catch it for me. So,if you have a DVR see if you can search in the future for it or set a wish list.

Beth

MelissaTC
06-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Not sure about HSM but HSM2 is going to be on August 17. I know this because we are going to be on vacation and I have to set the darn DVR to record it!

linsei
06-28-2007, 03:18 PM
I'll have to figure out how to do a wish list. I'm so inept when it comes to the dvr. I might end up seeing HSM2 before HSM(1)!

Linda

http://b3.lilypie.com/64MSm4/.png[/img][/url]

Corie
06-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Linda,

You can probably rent HSM at Blockbuster. Or better yet, go buy the DVD
at Target. :) The songs will get you sucked in!

writermama
06-28-2007, 10:31 PM
DD#1 hasn't seen it, but DD#2 loves it! We were staying with friends in Orlando the night before we visited Disney and DD#2 was having trouble sleeping so we went into the living room where our hosts were watching it. She was mesmerized.

A few days later, we were at the MGM Studios park where they do the HSM show. If we were anywhere in earshot or sightlines, she would crane her head around and fuss until I took her over to see it. We saw it 3 or 4 times that day. Luckily she's too young to ask me to buy her the DVD. I'd like to save it until she's at least 5. ;)

I've still got that "Bop to the Top" song stuck in my head (though the "Status Quo" song is my favorite).