PDA

View Full Version : Were you allowed to eat cold cuts during pregnancy ?

TraciG
06-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Just talked to my pregnant friend, she said she's not allowed to eat cold cut's, I never heard of this, anyone else's doctor tell them not to eat it also ? It has something to do with bacteria .

Also how about feta cheese, can you eat that ??

Just barely pregnant !

jhrabosk
06-26-2007, 02:10 PM
I think cold cuts were a no-no due to preservatives and nitrates (nitrites?). All-natural kinds (like at Whole Foods) are ok.

I'd imagine feta is ok as long as it's pasteurized...

Mommy Of A Little Angel
06-26-2007, 02:14 PM
When I was pregnant with DD, my first OBGYN told me no cold cuts unless they are heated. She also said that any soft cheese should also be cooked. I know my SIL never heard of the cold cut thing so I think it depends on you OB.

juliasmom05
06-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Cold cuts and soft cheeses are discouraged during pregnancy because of possible bacterial contamination with Listeria. I think feta is considered a soft cheese.

Marci

brittone2
06-26-2007, 02:21 PM
nak-
if the soft cheese is pasteurized (vs. raw artisan type cheeses) many sources say it is okay. (eta: most store bought feta is going to say pasteurized milk in the ingredients, and personally, I'd feel comfortable with that based on what I've read, but YMMV). The theoretical danger is in bacterial contamination if you are buying from a gourmet store or farmer's market type of place that sells unpasteurized/raw cheeses. Of course, food borne illness can lurk in all kinds of places like salad bars as well, so some people choose to avoid that stuff in pregnancy, and some don't.

eta link:
http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20031105/pasteurized-soft-cheese-ok-in-pregnancy

Ditto the PP on listeria in cold cuts. The current advice seems to be to avoid cold cuts, hot dogs, etc. unless steaming hot.

o_mom
06-26-2007, 02:22 PM
No cold cuts or soft chesses because of listeria - same for all three pregnancies. There are a few other items, but those were the big ones for me.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Listeriosis_and_Pregnancy_What_is_Your_Risk/index.asp

ast96
06-26-2007, 02:32 PM
I was warned against any cold cuts or unpasteurized cheese in all three pregnancies.

I craved turkey sandwiches in this pregnancy and my OB was ADAMANT that I not indulge in themm. Once I read up on Listeria, I understood why -- it has a high rate of fetal morbidity. I had no idea how serious it was until I read about it.

And it is not all that rare at all.

JBaxter
06-26-2007, 02:37 PM
I did but I have only bought the Boars head brand for years. No nitrates/no preservitives it doesnt last long in the fridge though. No soft cheese no tuna either. I had to laugh at my OB he said no tuna but recommended the flu shot which still had the mercury preservitive in it.

TraciG
06-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks everyone, I can't wait to ask my doc about this.

I need help, what do I eat for lunch then ????????
Today I ate Boar's Head turkey before I spoke to my friend.

confirmed pregnant !

SnuggleBuggles
06-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Didn't know about listeria with ds but do now. I probably still eat lunch meat 1X/ week (usually unheated). I take my chances- it is my own risk choice. I do only buy my lunch meat at WF to avoid the yuckier stuff in lunch meat all the time anyway.

Beth

o_mom
06-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Here are some of the things I had:

Leftovers (reheated well)
PB&J (although that is controversial)
Grilled cheese
Hot turkey and cheese (I make them in a skillet and sear the lunchmeat first so it is well cooked, then put it in the sandwich and cook the sandwich)
Whatever the kids had (mac & cheese, nuggets, etc) - bad for me but at least I was eating.

This was one of my irritable points in pregnancy - I have a hard enough time thinking of lunches and then half of my ideas are gone.

hillview
06-26-2007, 03:36 PM
My doc said it depends on how risk adverse you are. She generally seems ok with cold cuts and cheese etc.
/hillary

hillview
06-26-2007, 03:36 PM
My doc said it depends on how risk adverse you are. She generally seems ok with cold cuts and cheese etc.
/hillary

maestramommy
06-26-2007, 04:37 PM
I think it depends on how conservative you are regarding food safety. with my first pregnancy I didn't eat cold cuts unless I nuked them to steaming hot. Didn't eat feta or other unpasturized cheeses, food from the farmers market food court, sashimi. With this pregancy I ate everything except unpasturized cheese.

maestramommy
06-26-2007, 04:37 PM
I think it depends on how conservative you are regarding food safety. with my first pregnancy I didn't eat cold cuts unless I nuked them to steaming hot. Didn't eat feta or other unpasturized cheeses, food from the farmers market food court, sashimi. With this pregancy I ate everything except unpasturized cheese.

himom
06-26-2007, 06:41 PM
This is one of the things I was very careful with during my pregnancies. When I was carrying my oldest (now 4) there was a listeria scare, and three women had miscarriages.

That means I avoided cold cuts, cold chicken, etc....pretty much anything you get at Subway. At home, if I really wanted it, I'd microwave sliced turkey or roast beef until it was steaming.

I also didn't eat any cheese that was unpasteurized. Okay at home, because I could read labels at the store before I bought things. But it was harder in restaurants when the wait staff didn't have a clue.

HTH, and congratulations!

himom
06-26-2007, 06:41 PM
This is one of the things I was very careful with during my pregnancies. When I was carrying my oldest (now 4) there was a listeria scare, and three women had miscarriages.

That means I avoided cold cuts, cold chicken, etc....pretty much anything you get at Subway. At home, if I really wanted it, I'd microwave sliced turkey or roast beef until it was steaming.

I also didn't eat any cheese that was unpasteurized. Okay at home, because I could read labels at the store before I bought things. But it was harder in restaurants when the wait staff didn't have a clue.

HTH, and congratulations!

HannaAddict
06-26-2007, 07:57 PM
It is because of Listeria. Listeria is pretty common with deli meats/cold cuts and can cause miscarriage or still birth if you are pregnant. I can't believe all doctors don't advise against this, I thought it was pretty standard advice. I too ate a deli sandwich though in the early stages (and sushi before I knew, and cocktails. . .).

I rarely eat cold cuts so it didn't impact me much.

Congrats on your pregnancy.
Kimberly

HannaAddict
06-26-2007, 07:57 PM
It is because of Listeria. Listeria is pretty common with deli meats/cold cuts and can cause miscarriage or still birth if you are pregnant. I can't believe all doctors don't advise against this, I thought it was pretty standard advice. I too ate a deli sandwich though in the early stages (and sushi before I knew, and cocktails. . .).

I rarely eat cold cuts so it didn't impact me much.

Congrats on your pregnancy.
Kimberly

LarsMal
06-26-2007, 09:09 PM
My OB told me that cold cuts were okay if heated to "steaming". I didn't take any chances with it at all with DS, but ate it now and then (mainly Boar's Head) with DD.

I was also told that tuna is okay in small amounts. I think my OB said 6 ounces of tuna a week was okay.

Another one I was told to watch out for is "farm raised" salmon. Wild salmon is okay, but the farm raised has more bacteria in it.

Brie was on the no-no cheese list, too, but now I'm bummed to read it's okay to eat if heated. I would've had that all the time! Same with queso blanco.

Good luck!!!!

jd11365
06-26-2007, 09:52 PM
My high risk ob said it was ok...and sushi...and alcohol...all in moderation.

I ate my share of salami sandwiches and sushi throughout both pregnancies. We're all fine. Don't sweat it. How many cases of listeria do you hear about?

DebbieJ
06-26-2007, 11:35 PM
>Brie was on the no-no cheese list, too, but now I'm bummed to
>read it's okay to eat if heated.

Most Brie you buy in stores is pasteurized, so it's fine to eat! Heating Brie melts it anyway.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

denna
06-27-2007, 01:17 AM
I was told not to have cold cuts unless they were heated first (in the microwave or have your Sub toasted at Subway for instance) due to bacteria and this was recommended for any kind of cold cut.

Also anything that had not been pasteurized (juice, cheese, milk, etc.).

kijip
06-27-2007, 02:07 AM
I was told not to eat cold cuts due to the listeria risk each time I was pregnant. I don't like many cold cuts anyways, so I never thought twice about it. You could eat a salad with hot meats (like a chicken breast) or soup or a veggie sandwich for lunch instead. Or hot sandwiches like steak or pastrami.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)

AddiesMom
06-27-2007, 04:42 AM
Doctor said OK to eat cold cuts if high quality like Boar's Head. She summed it up by saying "just don't eat a sandwich out of a vending maching or from a gas station!" Like I ever would, NOT!

klwa
06-27-2007, 05:34 AM
My doctor told me to disregard what I had heard about not eating cold cuts. But, several friends as well as some of the books I read, told me that Cold Cuts can become contaminated with Listeria. However, my OB told me not to eat any venison or soft cheese due to L. contamination.
-Kris

elephantmeg
06-27-2007, 05:50 AM
I did with my son but won't with any any others. My friend lost a baby at 20 wks to it....

juliasmom05
06-27-2007, 06:19 AM
You are right. There are very few cases, but unfortunately the mortality rate is extremely high (25%)and since Listeria can pass into the placenta, the chance of miscarriage is high. But, like everything else, it's up to each individual to decide what to worry about and what not to worry about.

Marci

AngelaS
06-27-2007, 06:31 AM
I heard about listeria during my last pregnancy---3 years ago.

jd11365
06-27-2007, 06:58 AM
Yes, most soft cheese that you "think" you can't eat, you actually can because here in the US they are pasturized. I love feta cheese and just checked the label. Every time it said pasturized.

Melanie
06-27-2007, 09:55 AM
I would not use the term 'allowed,' as I would say I chose not to eat soft cheeses or cold cuts due to the risk of Listeria.